Hey, my New Year's resolution was to finally learn to play the guitar. I just bought my first electric, a beautiful blue ESP LTD H-100, as well as a small Hartke 15W practice amp. I connected the guitar to the amp with a standard guitar cable which I also purchased today, but when I turned the amp on, I couldn't get any sound to come out of it, even after fifteen minutes of fiddling with all the volume and control knobs on both the guitar and amp. Am I doing something obviously wrong? The guitar worked in the store, and the guitar, amp, and cable were all brand new. I would greatly appreciate any help!
Guitar volume all the way up, amp volume up, all switches on amp on, cables fully in, plug fully in?

Really basic, common sense stuff, but sometimes I even get freaked out my guitar isn't working when my guitar volume is just all the way down.
Make sure the volume knob on your guitar is all the way up, fiddle with the amp controls again, make sure its all plugged in etc.
'07 MIM Strat
Maple Neck
Black Finish
Black Pickguard
Black EMG SA set
Planet Waves Locking Tuners

Roland JC-77 Jazz Chorus

Boss PW-2 Power Driver
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby Original Wah
Footswitch for Amp chorus
Boss Flanger
If you tried fiddling around with everything and it's not working then that means something is broken.
Quote by rebelmidget
I do believe you just used Blink 182 and hard rock in the same sentence. It would seem you're rather confused.
I have a quote in my signature! And it makes fun of blink-182! I'm cool now!

[Obligatory link to my band's MySpace]
Amp is plugged in, volume on everything all the way up. I guess something could be broken, but I really did buy everything brand new from Sam Ash. Maybe I got screwed over?
Quote by DrRimbaud
Amp is plugged in, volume on everything all the way up. I guess something could be broken, but I really did buy everything brand new from Sam Ash. Maybe I got screwed over?

maybe its the outlet?
i personally find sam ash to sell cheap, used stuff as though theyre not telling you something.... hopefully it didnt happen to you
My Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard | Gibson SG | Casio PG 380 | Dave Mustaine VMNT | Digitech Whammy | Carvin Legacy head |
Carvin V3 combo | MXR Custom Badass Overdrive | Dunlop Jerry Cantrell Wah | Rocktron Banshee | Ibanez PG Flanger
Amp lights up and everything but makes no sound, not even buzzing or clicking or hissing at max volume.
maybe bad cable? although you should get some humming from the amp, even with no cables, if I turn it up, i'll get a humming.
Guitars
1998 Gibson Les Paul Standard
1992 Ibanez RG550
Amplifier
1978 Marshall JMP 2203
Unplug the cable from the guitar and, with the amp turned up, touch the end of it. You should hear a feedback type sound once you touch it. If you do, the cable and amp are fine. If you don't, something with the cable and/or amp is going to be wrong.
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence
Go to Sam Ash and stick it up their arse. Does the amp make a buzz tweed noise when you turm it up? Try switching through all your pups. If you have a guitar playing friend, plug your guitar into his amp and his guitar into your amp. Should find the problem. Sound like you got ****ed over.
Quote by WantzChas
Go to Sam Ash and stick it up their arse. Does the amp make a buzz tweed noise when you turm it up? Try switching through all your pups. If you have a guitar playing friend, plug your guitar into his amp and his guitar into your amp. Should find the problem. Sound like you got ****ed over.

Way to jump to conclusions.

other than that, good advice.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that after 15minutes of playing around on everything, lets say 15 knobs at most, and still not working you probably got sold a guitar that's pick ups ain't working, an amp which speaker has blown or something or if you're lucky, you're putting the line in input into the output or recording or headphone jack.

And it's always fun to blame a common mistake on the store that sold it to you.
Naah, I am definitely plugging it into the input. No humming of any sort, even at max volume. Does that mean the problem is with the amp?
It is supposed to humm if you max it out. I recken it's your amp. Either the amp or your amps speaker.
Is it the Hartke G15? If so, try this:

Put it on Ch1 (the green light should be lit on the left side). Put the volume on the far left to say 5 or 6. Put the bass and treble to like 5. Plug in your guitar cable into the input jack on the amp. Don't plug in the other end of the cable to the guitar. Just see if you touch it with your fingers (the end of the cable that's supposed to go into guitar) should make some feedbacking noise.

If that doesn't happen, try with channel 2 as well, setting the volume and crunch (in the middle) to like 5. if that still doesn't work, verify your cable is fully plugged into the amp, verify that the amp is turned on (the lights being lit), and if that still doesn't work, then maybe it's a faulty cable or a faulty amp. I'm guessing it might be a faulty cable.

Check to see if there's any extra knobs at the back, I doubt it, but maybe it has some master volume or something.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer