i doont know if this is the best place for this but are 7 and 8 strings hard to play, and are they hard to play standing up on stage? I know they are different and hard to get used to but are they hard to play after you learn to navigate the 1 or 2 extra string?
after about 10 good minutes of playing you get used to it.
10/7/07- Van Halen
3/16/08- Iron Maiden
1/9/09- AC/DC
7/8/09- Judas Priest
11/10/09- Metallica
7/3/10- Iron Maiden
7/24/10- Rush
4/15/11- Rush-

Quote by LordBishek
with a penis as small as mine, I don't have a very humorous take on the world.
I dunno, i guess it's easier for others...but screw the 7, and I'll never touch the 8 :P
Gear
Ibanez GSA60
Jackson DXMGT
Schecter Hellraiser Tempest
Ibanez S470 DXQM
ESP LTD Deluxe EC-1000
Crate Halfstack and Crate 50W Tube Head
Boss MT-2, CH-1, CS-3, NS-2, & Cry Baby
Crate XT65R
i got 1 and its not hard at all after a few days ur used to it but the neck is to thick when i stand sometimes in some places and i have long hands so beware
Quote by Allnightmask22

Alternatively, have your friends hold him down, then take a dump in his mouth, make sure your genitals don't touch him though, that's gay.

Quote by RageAgainst...
Teddy-Metal
for those who like to mosh, but just wanna cuddle afterwards

smashing pumkins fans=)^
Uuhm, I've been playing a 7-string guitar since after about a year of playing (I bought mine on June 2nd, 2006), and I didn't really have anything to get used to (I played on a good ol' strat before it). I don't get why people have such a hard time getting used to them; if you have some control over your picking arm and your fretting hand you'll be playing it as if you've never played anything else in about 10 seconds. Okay a few minutes, but still.

And why the 7-string hate? It only adds MORE to your range, if you know how to use one. I still just use the E-string as my basis and just use the B when I want to give something a but more of a crushing-sound :3 Or when I'm writing techno-influenced metal^^'

Have to say, though; I'm not ever buying an 8-string guitar. I love Meshuggah, but I don't really need those low notes myself. Plus, the 8-string guitar I played on had a horrible feel to it. The neck just felt uncomfortable to my fingers for some reason.
Besides, to me it seems like most musicians that have recently started using 8-string guitars are doing it just to do something 'cool' :-/

Anyways,, not hard to play. And if your hand can't reach around the entire fretboard, just wear your guitar higher, I've got it just under my chest^^

PS: Just a little note, I'm 5ft9 and my hands aren't big or anything.

Sorry for the long post.. -_-
Last edited by KoRnOnA6String at Jan 11, 2009,
Quote by KoRnOnA6String

And why the 7-string hate? It only adds MORE to your range, if you know how to use one. I still just use the E-string as my basis and just use the B when I want to give something a but more of a crushing-sound :3 Or when I'm writing techno-influenced metal^^'

Have to say, though; I'm not ever buying an 8-string guitar. I love Meshuggah, but I don't really need those low notes myself. Plus, the 8-string guitar I played on had a horrible feel to it. The neck just felt uncomfortable to my fingers for some reason.
Besides, to me it seems like most musicians that have recently started using 8-string guitars are doing it just to do something 'cool' :-/

-_-

Man, I just got an 8 string and i absolutley love it! they give you even more range than the 7 strings, its the same principal that you used to justify buying a seven over a six. I'm not playing it to seem 'cool' I love the extra range and its easy as hell to play. the 8th string doesn't even get in the way at all. I base myself still in on the seventh string but go to the eighth when i want a really crushing riff. its all about options. IMO there are only more possibilities with this guitar, no drawbacks, and the neck feels awesome on my ibanez RG2228
I tried an ibanez 7 string and didn't even notice the difference. Was very easy to play straight away. I will probably soon get one for the extra range.
To OP, the answer is no. Not at all IMESHO. Also, check out the link to the 7 string/ERG legion in my sig...
Brigardier of the Seven String E.R.G. Legion
Fiddles
Ibby RG7321 lundgren M7 bridge, blaze7 neck
Ibby AX7521
Ibby RT452
Ibby RGIR20FE
Peedahls
I'll get back to you.
Heeds
Crate GT3500h
Sunn Concert PA
Crabs
Peavey 2x12
It's a personal thing really, some people gel with them, some don't. Hence why there are baritone guitars availible for those who want the range, but not the feel.

In my case, the 7 and 8 were very natural to start playing with, no teething problems or anything. Actually writing effectively with them took a little while longer, as i was working out how to use them both to the maximum potential.
I would love to play the 8 string
Anyway, like it was already said, after a few minutes you just get used to it and thats it.
The only thing that could cause you trouble would be the way you have to think around because of the extra strings and the tuning.