I'm hopefully getting a Hot Rod Deluxe in the very near future , but I hear so much about it's "muddy overdrive." I've searched and seen so many different reactions to this that I decided to make my own thread. What are your opinions on exactly how I can shape the tone of the amp to get rid of the muddiness?

I will playing through a Fender Strat with two single-coils and one single-coil-that-imitates-a-humbucker-pickup (duncan scorcher or something like that).

Feel free to recommend pedals that's what I was mainly thinking of.

Btw, I was also looking at two pedals from Boss: the OD-3 and the SD-1, anyone have a preference on them?
a Modded TS-808 from Keeley will be your best friend
Fender Standard Stratocaster w/ Hot Noiseless Pickups
G&L Asat Special Semi Hollow
Alvarez Artist AD80SSB Acoustic
Peavey Valve King 112
Roland Micro Cube
Nobel ODR-1 Pedal
Boss CS-3
Boss DD-6
Boss CH-2
Boss FZ-1
Dunlop 535Q Wah
My friend uses one and it sounds amazing, you have to mess with it to find the right settings on the OD channel. There is a clip of it in the ultimate gear demo thread of the OD channel.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Well I'm saying that with the proper eq and gains settings the OD channel can be useful, with that said the way to get the most out of it would be to have an OD pedal. The tubescreamer is a great place to start but also look at the OCD and the Fulldrive and other pedals. Try as many as you can on the HRD to see which you like best.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

heres an old video of my buddy using the amp with his band, hes the lead singer. He kicks in the OD channel at about 0:42 into the video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAy0dg_Brhs
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

Quote by forsaknazrael
Why only looking at Boss? There's better pedals out there.

Also, why are you looking at the HRD if you KNOW the OD is bad? I can name some amps that have good cleans and OD.

peavey classic 30?
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by forsaknazrael
Why only looking at Boss? There's better pedals out there.

Also, why are you looking at the HRD if you KNOW the OD is bad? I can name some amps that have good cleans and OD.

Well I like to thoroughly test equipment before I buy, and the sad excuse of a guitar center in my area has a very limited selection of quality amps. The only tube amps there I believe are the HRD, JVM (over my price range), AC30 (cleans didn't beat the fender in my opinion), and like the Valveking

For the Fender clean I wouldn't mind getting something else to help me with theoverdrive

I play in a jazz group by the way, so I won't often need too much overdrive/distortion
I can goof off with my spider 3 for that