A sustain pedal for guitar that creates a similar effect to the pedal on a piano that undamps all the strings? Like for instance it would be a button or lever that you held down with your foot and every note you played would be infinitely sustained until you released the switch? I think you could get some pretty cool and thick sounds out of that, but I've never seen anything like it-- any ideas?
its called a sustainer pickup. youd have to get it installed into your guitar. google it.
^ A sustainer would fit your needs best. Steve Vai uses one.
In response to my admission of Virginity:
Quote by RPGoof
We're all virgins here, don't worry.
You can use a boost>compression/sustainer for infinite sustain in conjunction with a distortion pedal such as a ProCo Rat. Some fuzz pedals also have infinite sustain.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
you can do some cool stuff kind of like that with an ebow
http://www.ebow.com/

EDIT: it can give you infinite sustain, by the way. It's just not a pedal
Last edited by D&DLover at Jan 11, 2009,
there is a boss pedal, i forget the exact model but it was a distortion and when you held down the pedal you got infinate sustain of what ever not you were playing at the time. you could also play over that note as long as you held the pedal down.

Edit: here it is Boss DF-2
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Last edited by lbj273 at Jan 11, 2009,
yeah so I googled all those things, but nothing quite fit exactly what I had in mind- I was looking for something that I could hold down and play say a G barre chord in 8 possible positions and they would all be infinitely sustained, so I would have something like 30 notes all sustaining at once.

though even the DF-2 isn't exactly what I was looking for, that thing is awesome.
Quote by mattocaster99
yeah so I googled all those things, but nothing quite fit exactly what I had in mind- I was looking for something that I could hold down and play say a G barre chord in 8 possible positions and they would all be infinitely sustained, so I would have something like 30 notes all sustaining at once.

though even the DF-2 isn't exactly what I was looking for, that thing is awesome.

try a looper?

you want like, to be able to play everything at once?

looper it is, i think.
well I have a looper, but the attack of the notes is repeated instead of a smooth sustain, maybe if I hooked up a cranked compressor before the looper and another after It would all kind of blend together.

or, another thought-- does the ebow have any attack, or do the strings just vibrate without any dynamics? and can you play full chords with the ebow?

If so, that may work perfectly!
maybe the ebow with the looper would be the way to go
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by mattocaster99
well I have a looper, but the attack of the notes is repeated instead of a smooth sustain, maybe if I hooked up a cranked compressor before the looper and another after It would all kind of blend together.

or, another thought-- does the ebow have any attack, or do the strings just vibrate without any dynamics? and can you play full chords with the ebow?

If so, that may work perfectly!

The eBow vibrates one string for as long as you hold it there for. Yes, you can play it with different dynamics by placing it in different positions relative to the pickup you're using. It sort of swells the sound in quickly, as opposed to sharply moving to each note. It sounds nice when used in conjunction with reverb and delay because the notes blend together.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
hmm. I listened to some sound clips online, and I found no evidence of it being able to do a chord, so that's kind of a dead end.

But I could also use a fernandez sustainer, and then just play the chord before i started the loop, then turn the mix so the loop was all the way up and the live signal was off. THough I wouldnt want to sacrifice either of the pickups on my les paul so I'd have to route it to go in between the two black beauty style. And I'd have to enlarge the control cavity. So all in all I'd probably be better off building a guitar or modding a squier from ebay or something. (though most squires intonation would be impossible to combine 30 notes and make it sound good)

maybe I should just start a supergroup with like 8 guitarists to create massive chords and fulfill my fantasy

Edit: or instead of using a fernandez sustainer and going through that ridiculous amount of money and work I could just use a compressor sustainer!

so I'm thinkin guitar>compressor sustainer>Looper>other stuff>amp

anyone have and opinion of the best
<$100 compressor sustainer?

DoubleEdit: or does anyone have anything against the MXR Super Comp?
Last edited by mattocaster99 at Jan 11, 2009,