So, I've been playing for a good 2.5 years or so, and I can play some Hendrix and Zeppelin and stuff. However, I feel the need to go and check tabs online instead of learning how to listen and figure songs out on my own. Also, I have this feeling which is ultimately that I'm not all that good. I've never had a real gig or anything (I played for the school once in one of the stupid school bands), and I've never recorded myself so I don't know how I sound. But, sometimes I also have trouble learning some songs that I feel shouldn't be that difficult considering what I already know and how long I've been playing.

So, if anyone has any advice on the following, that'd be awesome:

1) How can I train my ear so I can go from songs that I hear to the fretboard? I have intervals down since I use to play piano and such, but I really have trouble with identifying notes through all the distortion and such.

2) How can I assess whether I'm any good or not, and how can I keep myself motivated?
Memorize the fretboard, first. What tones are where, ect.

Only you are the objective analyzer to how good you are.
Play the man, Master Ridley; we shall this day light such a candle, by God's grace, in England, as I trust shall never be put out.
i kinda have the same problem
never gigged or recorded and i dont see myself as very good after 3 years
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
Quote by yurfinlfntsy
Memorize the fretboard, first. What tones are where, ect.

Only you are the objective analyzer to how good you are.

Exactly what I was gunna say.

People discredit chromatic exercises on these forums but if you're struggling technically try them out, it will do you a world of good.
♪♫♪
92% percent of the teen population would be dead if Hollywood said it wasn't cool to breathe anymore.
Put this in your signature if you are one of the 92% who wouldn't be breathing.
i have the same exact problem bro, my theory is just to push through it and become a better guitarist.
Quote by Dog--
Holy **** that is the single funniest thing I've ever heard, thanks grimguitarist91, hats off to you good sir.

wut about learning all the scale boxes and how to construct them?
is that a good thing to do?
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
FRETboard Warrior?

I thought this was gonna be about that warm fuzzy feeling you get when creating an awesome song in the middle of a jam with some other good musicians.
Quote by Guitar0player
You're Thurstonsexual

Happily E-Married to En_zed
The public doesn't want new music; the main thing that it demands of a composer is that he be dead.
-- Arthur Honegger

Enjoy reading? Please crit my work .
I've been playing for 6 years and 4 months and I still suck.

It's all my fault though. I took lessons for a few years and got decently good, and then I stopped lessons and decided to teach myself. It ended up being that I barely played, although I have taught myself quite a few songs over the years (many of which I've forgotten by this point). I'm trying to start playing more often now though because my boyfriend (who is a guitar n00b) always wants me to teach him songs.
Quote by bigwillie
CornLord, you just blew my mind.
Quote by FFTLxx
Exactly what I was gunna say.

People discredit chromatic exercises on these forums but if you're struggling technically try them out, it will do you a world of good.

This. Chromatic exercises will help you with both your right and left hand (also coordinating the both.)

I think everybody should do chromatic exercises.
Famous last words are for men who never said enough. - Anonymous
Gear
Agile 3000 Rootbeer slim
Vox Valvetronix VT30
Takamine GS430S Acoustic
Last edited by Rickjames730 at Jan 11, 2009,
Dude it takes years to perfect the art. You just have to keep that passion for playing alive, what I do is I just sit around and jam whether it be by myself or with a buddy or a group. If I stumble upon something that sounds familiar, that resembles a song, I try to work it out as much as I possibly can. Then I listen to the song and see if I am in the right key and have the correct progression, after that I check either the musical notation or the tab to see whether I'm right.
Also, you don't have to play it exactly like hendrix does, or clapton, or kirk hammet or whoseevers song you are attempting to play. What makes a person a musician is how they interpret music (a song) and make it their own. You add your own individuality to it and thats what makes it music. You would just be a living jukebox if you played every single song you've studied exactly like the famous guitarist/bassist/pianoists/whatever that wrote the original peice.
Find your soul, have fun, practice, kick those feelings and just let the music and artisticness flow man.

Hope this helps you,
Joe
Learn the freatboard, learn to read music, learn how to recognize tones and chords by sound alone, learn basic theory, and learn how to write music.

Now, you don't need all of those things to become better, but I would try to learn as many as possible at your own pace. Writing music is more of a test of how well you can balance and strengthen the other techniques.

This is all based on my approach to music, anyway. I'm not a guitarist anymore, I'm trying to learn drums, but this has been working for me. Read some of the articles on UG; a friend of mine that goes by the name NotAJock2Day has written two or three very good articles about becoming a better guitar player.
Life is underrated.

Quote by Mad Marius
That's like saying you got cancer that comes with AIDS.