So i'm a totally music and technology nerd, but i'm having the hardest time finding recording software where i can buy/download. I've searched the internet and Guitar Center looking for good recording software, but i'm not really sure of how well i'm going to like it, and don't want to buy it for nothing. I was also wondering if there was anything in particular that i could use to make my recordings better or something. I could also really use the jumpstart here, i'm going into a vocational/trade school once i graduate to become a recording technician and would like the extra info. I was wondering if anybody else has had success with software that i might like to know about. I have a Dell Inspiron 530 btw i don't know if some software will work better/worse with it. Please and thank you
Quote by AcouticShredder
Wow, thanks, i'm willing for any suggestions from experience though

I can only speak for Cubase because it's all i've ever used, so I feel comfortable with it and it gets the job done very well. Audacity is free and there is a sticky at the top of this forum you could go to for help with any topics relating to Audacity. Maybe some other people will chime in with there opinions but free is free.........
Epi Les Paul-APH1/Mean 90
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
If you're EQ'd loose, you'll sound loose anyway.
Quote by AcouticShredder
Wow, thanks, i'm willing for any suggestions from experience though

I have been using Protools HD for a while, but you have to buy a certain brand of equipment for Protools so if you want go for Protools it's basically the professional standard in recording software.

Before Protools i used Sony Acid Pro 6.0 its a really easy program and has a really good workflow. If you're gonna record buy a good quality condenser mic for recording and a recording apparatus like a usb hub. and also get Waves Diamond it comes wiht a lot of plugins that you can use to make your music sexy ha

and btw, you can download all these programs for free from places like demonoid and thepiratebay, shh i didn't tell you XD
don't download.

unless its a free program like REAPER or AUDACITY

I have used both and prefer reaper.
I'm currently starting to learn Cubase4. It seems like its going to be pretty darn good.

-Ryan
I would look into Cubase, Sonar, or Pro Tools since you plan on doing this professionally in the future. Of those 3 I would go with Cubase. Cubase 5 just came out and it looks great. Pro Tools is just a never ending money pit and does not really produce better results than the others. Don't download, it will be buggy and you will have problems oh yeah and it is illegal.
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
Quote by Jared R. Boyd
don't download.

unless its a free program like REAPER or AUDACITY

I have used both and prefer reaper.
I'm currently starting to learn Cubase4. It seems like its going to be pretty darn good.

-Ryan

REAPER ISN'T FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But anyway, if you want something cheap with features to rival the big boys, then do check out Reaper. It has a free 30 day trial anyway, so you may as well download it before buying anything.

At the higher end of the spectrum, Cubase, Logic and Sonar are all amazing programs with lots of features. You won't go wrong with any of those (Logic is Mac only).
There is poetry in despair.
LOGICPRO. If you don't buy that, I will have to hunt you down.

But if your budget couldn't include buying a mac, definitely go for Cubase or Sonar. Or better still, install Linux (UbuntuStudio) and use that. Totally free, and it really does compete with the big guns.