so i have a peavey valveking 112 combo amp, and it pretty much gets blown out by my other guitarists line6 half stack, so i use his crate half. but it still isnt loud enough. im not sure of the model, but its a regular cab with a really, really small head, about the lenght of your foot, and i absolutely hate the sound that comes out of it and my pedal. i was looking into buying a half stack of my own being we are starting to do live shows and what not, but i dont know what to get. i have absoultely no income so my budget is like 400-600 bucks altogether. i was thinking of maybe a Randall RX120DHS 120W or an Ibanez TBX150H head with a matching ibanez cab or maybe a marshall one. i play 90% deathcore junk so it needs to be good, but the line6's like my friend has just sounds too digital sounding for me. i also have a line6 uber metal pedal, dunno if i'd have to get another one or what, but i dont see the point in having a pedal with distortion on it and buying an amp for the same exact thing.
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey Valveking 112
Line 6 über-Metal Pedal

Quote by pwrmax
All you care about is looks? No wonder you have it hard.

Quote by srvflood
You can't have sex with her personality.
Can you still borrow his cab and use your own head?
The normal answer around here would be to look for a used Peavey 5150.
yeah he said he'd sell me his crate cab for about 200, but thats almost as much as a new one anyways. i would love a peavy 5150/6505 head, but even used they are a lot, and i cant be sure how much ohms the cab takes in order to match them up
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey Valveking 112
Line 6 über-Metal Pedal

Quote by pwrmax

Quote by srvflood
B-52 at 100
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
how many watts is your valveking?

I dont know anything about valvekings, but can you just plug the valveking into a cab?
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
I can see the on-board gain of the VK being a problem, but the volume...?

How can you not be louder than his half stack? Do you have your mids scooped, or are you using the Uber metal as distortion on your clean channel?

*I'd say get a the Randall RG50TH with a cab of sorts. Or go used and buy a Ampeg VH-140C, Peavey 5150/6505 (+/II if you need better cleans), or Peavey Ultra/XXX (if you don't mind a brighter tone).
Last edited by dudey5691 at Jan 12, 2009,
Quote by sesstreets
B-52 at 100

This.
Fender American Strat HSS MAHOGANY!
MXR Carbon Copy
BBE Soul Vibe
Fulltone OCD
Planet Waves Chromatic Tuner
Egnater Tweaker 1x12 Combo
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 2x12 combo
Morley Mark Tremonti Wah
Taylor 114CE
Your VK's 50 watts of tube power should be more than enough, especially next to a ss/digital Line6. What you are probably experiencing is lack of sound projection from using a 1x12 next to 4x12. Try plugging your VK into a 4x12 cab and turn up your mids and volume. If that still doesn't help then you should replace your VK's power tubes.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
All of the amps suggested in this thread are either a downgrade or a side-step. You might want a Boss distortion, dare I say a metalzone? For death that should be fine.
You can find 5150s for $600. Where in Michigan are you roughly?

Also, the VK112 is 50 watts and the speaker sucks. If you got a new speaker more geared for your genre and an OD pedal like a Bad Monkey I think you would be in business. Also, your VK can only cab out at 16 ohms. What is the ohm rating of the Crate cab you were using? How old is your VK, it is also possible the power tubes need a refresh.

buy a Avatar 412 loaded with hellatone 60s and run your valveking's speaker out into it. That will cost you approximately $500 or so and it will not only project you, but your tone will kill his.
Please tell me this faggot of a second guitarist is playing through a spider III half stack.
My band.
www.myspace.com/bransonny

My gear.
Marshall: JCM800 2205, 6100, 1960AV
H&K: Triamp MKII, Duotone
Mesa: Recto recording pre, 212
2 Avatar 412 (v30's)
Gibson: LP std, SG std, SG goth, SG spec
G&L ASAT classic
Martin DC-16GTE
a 5150 combo can def be found for $600. where in michigan are you?
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
You can find 5150s for $600. Where in Michigan are you roughly?

Quote by spiff389
a 5150 combo can def be found for $600. where in michigan are you?

+3, pics or it didn't happen?
http://detroit.craigslist.org/msg/973632158.html 60 watt combo $600.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
well my amp had a problem where i couldnt turn it up past like 4 volume without it making a really loud squeeking sound (not feedback) when i played, so i bought the pedal for the noisegate, and used the pedals dist. on my clean channel. for some reason, i was too noob until just now to realize that i can turn the pedals distortion down and use my combo's distortion, though it still isnt great. and im still so leary on using my amp to turn up so high, im too afraid that i'll blow the speaker or a tube.
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey Valveking 112
Line 6 über-Metal Pedal

Quote by pwrmax

Quote by srvflood
Last edited by shadowsoldier08 at Jan 13, 2009,
If you've been playing louder than your VK can handle, you'll be deaf in a month.
^But the Valveking is not That loud. I play on vol 4 all the time. I think you meant, play louder than your ears can handle.

You can't play louder than the amp itself.

Seriously, he has some kind of grounding issue or bad jack or something.
tube amps don't squeel, i think only ss amps do that, cause i used to get that squeel out of my ss. but my valveking, still sorta new, i play on volume 5 all the time when i gig, its plenty loud. i was at guitar center and i saw a B-52, half stack cab for under $200 new, with a ****ty B-52 ss amp head for $200. probely dosent help you though.
Well, if you're gigging with a PA you should be able to mix both amps to where his isn't blowing yours away. I'd say try that first before spending some coin on a new amp. Just a suggestion.