Hey all.

I have a few questions about string gauge... What's the difference between a high gauge and a low gauge? Does it make a difference in sound, or is it just the way it feels? I've played guitar for over 2 years and I STILL don't know what kind of strings I should be playing. If anyone could recommend me some good strings, that would be helpful.

I play mostly metal and classic rock, incase that makes a difference... And usually play 1-1.5 hours a day.
Me duele todo el cuerpo por los errores
Presionados por la lujuria
Nos mentimos tanto el uno al otro
Que en nada confiamos
It's barely noticeable in sound, but it feels better to some to play thicker strings. I prefer .11's because it's in the middle. .12 is too much, and .10 is too flimsy for me.

I recommend DR .11's, the colored strings last a long, long time.
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
It really depends on what tuning you play in. With out asking Id say since you play classic rock youd want a little heavier of a string so you can really dig into your guitar. Id go with a 10 gauge, maybe 11 if you feel like using anything lower than drop D.
Actually, I played .12 strings and .11 strings in standard. Feels good man.
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
Thicker string have more prescense than light strings.
Thicker strings are better for low tunings.

word.
Personally i don't like Sets of Strings, they always have 2 strings that are too thick and 2 strings that are too thin. For a whole year i was using "Ernie Ball Beefy Slinky's" which are 11, 15, 22p, 30, 42, 54 on a 25.5 scale Guitar tuned to drop B. the 22p, 30, 42 strings are far too thick and the 54 is too sloppy. then i went to "Ernie Ball Not Even Slinky's" which are 12, 16, 24p, 32, 44, 56. To make up for the sloppy 6th string. bad idea, i couldn't even bend the 3rd or 5th strings, which is crazy considering my tuning, what gets me is, on the pack it says "optimal for Drop D", i wouldn't even attempt to tune to Drop D or even Drop C. So what i did, i experimented bought a whole load of single strings and tried them all till i found what i like. I'm now playing 11, 15, 18w, 28, 38, 58 gauge strings, and they are perfect. Some people would consider these gauges too light for my tunings, but i find it comfortable for what and how i play, and thats the most important thing. So my advice is to go out and buy a whole bunch of singles and play around with them, it may cost more but it's worth it. What tuning do you play in, what guitar have you got and what scale is it?, i've got plenty of other gauges to use as an starting point for you.
Last edited by MetalMusicGod at Jan 12, 2009,
Thanks for all the help everyone. I play in standard tuning 80% of the time, and the rest of the time I'm in Drop D. Right now I'm just playing a crappy Squier Stratocaster, at a 25.5" scale. This will be me last string change before I buy a new guitar.

I think I'm going to go with 0.11's. I've played some really light strings on a friends guitar (don't know exactly what gauge they were), and found it was pretty hard to play.
Me duele todo el cuerpo por los errores
Presionados por la lujuria
Nos mentimos tanto el uno al otro
Que en nada confiamos