Ok, I have a standard Fender Telecaster, I have been trying to lear oinched harmonics and I`m have trouble so I ask you is i the guitar?

Do I need something with several pickups like a the people who seem to be able to easily do it have ir am I missing something?

I know it`s a blues guitar and I love the thing but I`ll probably get a "Metal" Guitar soon enough just trying to practive for it now ;-).
Ok, well I do get some but it doesn`t sound like it does when other people do it like the guy in the instructional video.
Umm my vibrato is good, and gain does make it come out more.

Tapped harmonics work great on it I just think it must be something about these bluesy pickups.
According to Zakk Wylde, you need lots of gain and treble. Also practice at it. I find it easier to pull them off on the neck pup. Also, you get better sounding PH's on certain points where you pick. I saw a video on youtube that pointed that out.
I can do them on a strat like this: A-high E string just behind the middle pickup with the toggle switch at the bridge.
Low E - just in front (closer to the neck) of the middle pickup, toggle switch at the bridge.

With humbuckers its much easier however
If your really having trouble, up the treble and mid and maybe tone the bass down a smidgen. Worked for me. Turning up the gain would help a lot too, though. The pickups could be compromising how well it comes through, but it really shouldn't make it impossible. Some of them would be harder to sound than others, but overall you should be able to on any guitar. You can even get some small ones out of an acoustic guitar. It also depends on WHERE you do it. Theres a different "sweet spot" on each guitar. The best spot (for me at least) on a strat would be right behind the neck pickup. You may need to move a little depending on where you are on the fretboard, but this spot should give you the clearest Pinch Harmonic.

There are a few other things that could be preventing you from getting the sound unfortunately. For example, when I first started trying I had to change the way I held the pick because I couldn't hit the string correctly with my finger. If the above paragraph doesn't work then try moving your pick around a little bit, but make sure it isn't anything to uncomfortable.
Tonight, we stagger out from the basement...

I'm sick of not having the courage to be an absolute nobody.

...Or fall to our deaths from above
Quote by 1010011010
If you get the technique right, you can pull it off on any guitar on any setting. To make your life easier, practice it with a lot of gain.

QFT.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Taylor B
so I ask you is i the guitar?

No, it appears you are in fact NOT the guitar.
Quote by 1010011010
If you get the technique right, you can pull it off on any guitar on any setting. To make your life easier, practice it with a lot of gain.

+1 i got pinch harmonics on a bass. lol disclaimer: my main instrument is guitar, i was just messing around on my friend's bass and wanted to see if it could happen. it sounds so disgusting though...
Quote by voteforpedro36
No, it appears you are in fact NOT the guitar.

Epic.

On topic:
Like a lot of people said: high gain and practice is the way to go.
You're not gonna get to sound right as soon as you learn. It takes practice.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
Okay, first things first:

There is no such thing as a metal guitar, blues guitar, jazz guitar, rock guitar, etc. There are guitars associated with certain genres, but there aren't genre guitars.

A telecaster can be used for any of those styles, same with a strat, Les Paul, SG, JEM, B.C. Rich guitar, etc.

Now to the main point:

It's all right hand technique. Try moving your thumb around without lifting your thumb. Everyone's hands are different, but for me, all I have to do is bend my thumb in a certain way (I can't describe) and it works for me.
My Gear:
Guitars:
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 in Charcoal Burst

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Vintage '70s Thomas Organ Crybaby Wah
Boss DD-6
Quote by guitarded8one
GAIN.

well...at least thats what Wylde did...seems to work grand for him.

Zakk Wylde can get Pinch Harmonics with low gain. Check out his instructional Pinch Harmonic video, you'll see what I mean.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
Quote by Junnage
Okay, first things first:

There is no such thing as a metal guitar, blues guitar, jazz guitar, rock guitar, etc. There are guitars associated with certain genres, but there aren't genre guitars.

A telecaster can be used for any of those styles, same with a strat, Les Paul, SG, JEM, B.C. Rich guitar, etc.

Now to the main point:

It's all right hand technique. Try moving your thumb around without lifting your thumb. Everyone's hands are different, but for me, all I have to do is bend my thumb in a certain way (I can't describe) and it works for me.

THis guy's right, but you've gotta admit that certain guitars are made with certain things in mind. Of course a Fender Strat can do Metal, but it's made with blues/Jazz in mind, and therefore usually fitted with low-gain pickups and woods that'll sound good with said genre. However, along comes a pointy looking BC Rich monster with EMGs fitted in, and no matter which amp you run the fender and BC Rich through, the BC Rich will most obviously handle the higher gain much better, and sound good with it.

Onto topic, for OP: Try 'digging' into the strings when you PH. I do it like that, and it works great.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
all you need is gain you dont need a high gain amp or high output.
you can get zakk wylde harmonics with a strat and any distortion pedal witha blues junior.
maybe not an overdrive pedal with a blues junior though
Make sure you are on the bridge pickup, that makes things easier, and don't listen to anyone who says gain matters.
You can do them on an acoustic if you know how to do them, so gain is obviously not important.
Just read one of the many pinch harmonic threads scattered around the forums and keep practicing.
It also might help you to use a small pick, such as a Jazz 3.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

ENDLESS FEEDBACK MANIPULATOR σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Ok, thanks guys I`m doing better now turned up the Treble and it brought them out alot more.

I am playing clean though really want to hone this one.
Quote by OceanofNoise
Make sure you are on the bridge pickup, that makes things easier, and don't listen to anyone who says gain matters.
You can do them on an acoustic if you know how to do them, so gain is obviously not important.
Just read one of the many pinch harmonic threads scattered around the forums and keep practicing.
It also might help you to use a small pick, such as a Jazz 3.

I can do PHs with my Bridge Pickup, but I find it easier with the neck pickup.

Though, it's probably just 'cause my pickups suck tits.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

A thicker pick is easier i think and turn up your gain, distortion and all that good stuff.
Guitars- Ibanez rgx digital snow camo
Amplifiers- Randall 125 watt halfstack ( payed 350 for the stack )
Quote by V.U.K
I can do PHs with my Bridge Pickup, but I find it easier with the neck pickup.

Though, it's probably just 'cause my pickups suck tits.

Yeah, they work either way, but most people find it easier to make them ring out when using the bridge pickup.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

ENDLESS FEEDBACK MANIPULATOR σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣