I mostly play metal/metalcore/hard rock. I've been in a metal band for about 2 years now and thats basically all i play. My father in law plays guitar in a bluesy/jazzy type band and he invited me to jam with him and his buddies. I thought it would be cool, so i did. When we were sitting there jamming i was having a hard time coming up with anything to go along with what they were doing. I did my thing a few times but I just struggled to adjust to a style that was different from what I was used to. I think i came away with an understanding that its good to broaden my horizons so to speak. Has anyone else had an experience like this?
I had basically the opposite when I went to meet my bands other guitarist, who is a shredder. I can't seem to break my bluesy roots to the point of metal leads though.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Yup, I have had such an experience. And now that I've broadened my horizons, I can pretty much do everything
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
Alex Skolnick (Testament) had a similar experience when he transitioned from metal and into doing a jazz combo for a few years.

He's back in Testament, but he speaks a lot about what he learned over the course of practicing for and recording those 3 albums.

Me? I'm still learning.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 12, 2009,
I thought your headline was about a Chris Squire Album (an excellent one)
Never heard of this Chris Squire, but I'll check him out...

EDIT: Not my cup o' tea, but certainly not bad stuff.
Last edited by richitrules at Jan 13, 2009,