I don't own one, but from what I hear, it does break up a bit. If you really want perfectly clean sounds, mic the amp at a lower volume so it doesn't break up so much.
Well I'm just trying to compare it to a Peavey Classic 30.
If it can't do it, I'll just stick to the C30.
It can get over bass and drums no problem.

The question is more about what types of clean you want. If you need like 100% Crystal Clear Clean sounds, the amp might not be up to it. However I play in a blues band, and it gives me great cleans for that type of sound unmicced.
Quote by cratskomodo
Will it stay pretty clean over my blues trio?
Gigging?

Well, how loud is your drummer?

Is he more the light handed type, or originally more of a heavy metal drummer?

Gigging you'll be miced up anyways, so it doesn't matter that much.
But I can keep a fairly clean sound over my drummer, and he's more of a metal drummer, so if you have a lighthanded one, you should be fine.

Do you have a Humbucker guitar or a single coil?
It's not crystal clean, but in my experience it cuts through well with the right EQ and settings. If you max the 'Master Volume' and then gradually increase the 'Volume' Controls you can find that level of clean/volume you want.

And if you gig it'll be mic'd up anyway so who cares.
'05 Fender Speed Shop So-Cal Stratocaster
'95 Squier Standard Strat

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Orange Dark Terror + PPC212
Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
Quote by JilaX^
Well, how loud is your drummer?

Is he more the light handed type, or originally more of a heavy metal drummer?

Gigging you'll be miced up anyways, so it doesn't matter that much.
But I can keep a fairly clean sound over my drummer, and he's more of a metal drummer, so if you have a lighthanded one, you should be fine.

Do you have a Humbucker guitar or a single coil?

Single coil.
And he's light handed.
I posted this in the last thread you started on this same subject.

I own a Blues Junior and I've been struggling to get the headroom I need when gigging. We generally play pubs/clubs and rarely mic into the PA (although its something we've started to do more & more).

I play rhythm and the lead plays through a Marshall Tube Combo (30/40W). Whilst the BJ is loud enough to play alongside the Marshall and be heard its a tough job keeping it clean. I've tried all kinds of solutions. I've replaced the speaker, replaced the tubes, all designed to give me more clean headroom.

Don't get me wrong the sound is great. Nothing beats the sound of power tube break up and this amp really sounds good when its driven to a certain extent. Unfortunately it doesn't sound too good when its driven really hard. I'm talking master volume right to the top and the volume as low as can still be heard (trying to stay as clean as possible). And also unfortunate that the power tube overdriven sound is not what I want at that time.

So to sum up and hopefully to offer advice to the threadstarter I'd say the BJ is a great amp, it gets better with a speaker &/or tube swap, but if you're looking for Mayer like tones at band levels without micing into the PA then you're probably best looking at something else, 30W+ I'd say.

Which is exactly what I'll be doing. I like the look of the Epi Custom Blues, sounds like just what I need. I'm struggling to find one to try out yet though. Good luck with your search, let us know how you get on.

I still stand by what I said.

Incidently, I tried the Epi and it was great. The cleans are warm and I loved the versatility of different tones that could be coaxed out of it. I nearly bought it there and then. but then I tried to lift it and believe me... it's heeeeaaavvvvvvyyyyy.

Its put me off a little and I'm now undecided on whether to get it or not. Going to look at a Fender Blues Delux Re-Issue at the weekend so I'll probably make my mind up after that.

Hope it helps & good luck.
yeah i have one and i like it cause its not perfect cleans, but its very very slight breakup...like a live chili peppers sound....if you want perfect cleans I'd go with the Blues Deluxe...Classic 30 I just dont like the muddiness when overdrived
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
Try both before you buy anything. Also try a Fender HRD.
My Gear:

Fender Aerodyne Stratocaster
NOS Tweed Fender Blues Jr
Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
Quote by cratskomodo
Single coil.
And he's light handed.

Then you should be fine.

Quote by cratskomodo
Alright, thanks.
So I'm going to stick with saving up for the Classic 30.

I doubt you're gonna get the blues tone you're searching for in that, the BJ killed it on my behalf at least.
There's a little bit of breakup - but it sounds nice. If you need lots of headroom you should get a Hot Rod deluxe.

I have both. I love 'em.
Probably not clean like John Mayer. You'd get a little breakup. It starts to get a little dirty with the volume around 6-7 for me and I play a strat with vintage pickups. It wouldn't be very dirty, but it wouldn't be a Two Rock clean sound. But sure you could do it.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

I played mine with a bit of drive over a drummer and a keyboardist(they used a Doors-style lineup) and a bunch of 7-17 year old voices when I played with a friends chorus, and I came in over it all. I came in loud and clear over my bands other guitarist when I jammed with him both clean and using my TS9, and I came out pretty well with it A/B'd for cleans between a friends halfstack at a gig I filled in for him at.

As long as you don't mind a slight bit of breakup when the bassist is acting like Les Claypool, Geddy Lee or someone along those lines and the drummer isn't hitting it like Keith Moon or Mitch Mitchell, it'll be fine clean. If they are, you'll get a bit of breakup, but frankly I love the tone when a tube amp meant for cleans like a low-gain Fender amp like a Blues Junior is pushed just barely to the edge of the line between clean and driven.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Hmmm, I may have to look into this.
I don't know how I would be able to push a Blues Jr. that loud at my local GC though.
Ask if you can take it into the soundproof room.

I always do when demoing an amp(specifically a tube amp) so I can turn up the volume.

Or you could just buy it if you don't mind paying 10% extra if you don't like it; Guitar Center has a 30-day return policy. Buy it, play it with your band and if you don't like the sound, albeit you'll be paying a 10% restocking fee.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
I have the NOS tweed Blues Jr and honestly I cant see this thing getting drowned out by drums. It packs a suprising punch for how small it is. Like someone else said though, get a stand and tilt it up so you can hear it better. I dont have a stand for it but I dont have any drummers to play with.
My Gear:

Fender Aerodyne Stratocaster
NOS Tweed Fender Blues Jr
Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
Will it be able to play a small bar unmic'd and have cleans over a drummer?
Last edited by cratskomodo at Jan 12, 2009,
Quote by cratskomodo
Will it be able to play a small bar unmic'd and have cleans over a drummer?

Been there, done that, the answer is yes. The cleans weren't perfect but just had the lovely tube breakup when you get into the playing.
'05 Fender Speed Shop So-Cal Stratocaster
'95 Squier Standard Strat

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Orange Dark Terror + PPC212
Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
Quote by cratskomodo
Hmmm, I may have to look into this.
I don't know how I would be able to push a Blues Jr. that loud at my local GC though.

Keep in mind that Master = Master Volume and Volume = Preamp volume = Amount of overdrive.

You'll have to test out the levels of them and find something you like for yourself.

Fat switch = A mid boost and a little overdrive boost aswell.
I can't believe you're still asking this question after two different threads with plenty of advice and where the people responding have given you all the pro's and con's.

I think you're heart is set on the Blues Jr for some reason, and whether thats a financial thing or something else I don't know.

Go to the music shop/store and tell the guy you want to buy the amp but you're worried that the cleans will break up too early. If he won't let you play loud enough to find out then go somewhere else.

Until then I'll repeat this advice.
if you're looking for Mayer like tones at band levels without micing into the PA then you're probably best looking at something else, 30W+
The problem is that he'll prolly have to get a HRD, or a Blues Deluxe to get those tones. And that's probably out of his league.

With a light handed drummer he should be able to get Mayerish tones with the Blues Jr. Imho.
The cleans on the BJ are fine for me, though I play with HBs. Either mic it or get a big cabinet for it and run the line to the speaker in the combo into the cabinet instead.
Fender Telecaster Deluxe MZ7006924
Crybaby 535Q
BOSS SD-1
ZVex Box of Rock
MXR 10-Band EQ
Ernie Ball VR Jr.
EHX The Clone Theory
Line6 ToneCore Echo Park
Fender Blues Jr.

Don't be sad, I know you will.