Ok im on a budget (saving up..) and what plexi copy or something similar is under $700.
I play Zeppelin,Van Halen,bit of eric clapton(hair,classic,hard rock and blues)

I been looking and found this amp.

https://taweber.powweb.com/store/kits_60b.htm#6M100

and this

http://www.ceriatone.com/productSubPages/BSPlexi100/BSPlexi100Complete.htm

(will the brownsound amp give me zeppelin and other stuff besides the brown sound?)

http://www.ceriatone.com/productSubPages/BSPlexi100/BSPlexi100Complete.htm

Don't matter if its a kit and it has to be below $700 bucks. I adore the brownsound and page's sound but i also like to find my own sound so it has to be a verstile amp.
The Ceriatone will cost more than your budget when you take into account shipping.

Not to mention, you still need a head cabinet before you run it, in general, it's not really a good idea to have the kind of high voltage running through that amp exposed.

And yes, it's only called the brownsound amp because it's the amp that EVH made famous, it's still a plexi clone. I'd imagine the normal super lead clone is a '67 spec and the brown super lead is a '68 spec.

That being said, you're looking at a huge investment here. It's not just the head, it's...

+$150 or so if you're in the USA for shipping
+$200-300 for a head cabinet
+$350-$500 at least for a decent cab (used/new), you'd need a 4x12 for one of these
+$300 for an attenuator just so you use the amp at reasonable volumes. There is no master volume, you just have to turn the amp up to get any sort of breakup. And I'm not kidding when I say that the 100 watt super lead is the loudest amp I've ever heard in my life. "100 watts" is a highly conservative estimate, and by the time you're getting the kind of tones you want, it's pushing out over 200 watts. Even the 50 watt 1987 is just too loud to reasonably use at gigs that aren't huge. I suggest you go to a music store and see just how loud even the 50 watt plexi is on 1 or 2.
Last edited by al112987 at Jan 12, 2009,
i know its EVH's sound but i want a amp thats afortable. I also live in the USA. I looked at the Peavey Windsor is that a good choice for Van Halen and Zeppelin?
Just get something like a Traynor YCV50 blue. Amps like plexis are really only good for two types of people, Marshall nerds, and people who have a stadium to play in.
Ceriatone?
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Quote by al112987

+$150 or so if you're in the USA for shipping
+$200-300 for a head cabinet
+$350-$500 at least for a decent cab (used/new), you'd need a 4x12 for one of these
+$300 for an attenuator just so you use the amp at reasonable volumes. There is no master volume, you just have to turn the amp up to get any sort of breakup. And I'm not kidding when I say that the 100 watt super lead is the loudest amp I've ever heard in my life. "100 watts" is a highly conservative estimate, and by the time you're getting the kind of tones you want, it's pushing out over 200 watts. Even the 50 watt 1987 is just too loud to reasonably use at gigs that aren't huge. I suggest you go to a music store and see just how loud even the 50 watt plexi is on 1 or 2.

You can buy a completed Ceriatone plexi reissue for $750-$850. Shipping shouldn't be more than $40. Tubes will be another $150. Cab doesn't need to be a 4x12, but if you find a good used 4x12 they will probably be the same price as a 2x12.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Can it get to the "Brown Sound"---------------> Traynor YCV50 blue.
What about the

Traynor YCV20 and 40 or even the 15 watt verisons?
Quote by MESAexplorer
You can buy a completed Ceriatone plexi reissue for $750-$850. Shipping shouldn't be more than $40. Tubes will be another $150. Cab doesn't need to be a 4x12, but if you find a good used 4x12 they will probably be the same price as a 2x12.

I hope you mean used, because a new Ceriatone straight from the maker will not be had for that kind of money.

1) Completed amp means working chassis. With the working amp, the head cabinet is not included. If I'm not mistaken the B+ on a normal functioning Marshall superlead is somewhere around 500VDC. If you feel safe running that amp without a head cabinet that is your choice. I personally would prefer not having those high voltages exposed when in operation.

2) $40 shipping? Maybe if you live in Malaysia...
Ceriatone's shipping to the USA via...
DHL, Air Parcel, TNT are $158, $192 and $172 respectively. That is not $40.

3) For a Marshall superlead that puts out over 200 watts running full steam, you'd better have a 4x12. Of course, I have doubts that anyone could reasonably ever run their amp at that kind of volume playing anything less than a stadium, but a 4x12 running say... a quad of greenbacks would be getting very hot with that amp set to about 5, much less the 7-8 it takes get Led Zeppelin types of gain. Again, I doubt anyone could really run their amp that volume, but it's better to be safe. If you're one of those types who thinks that speakers can handle twice their rated wattage, I've damaged a 50 watt Celestion with my "35 watt" JTM45.
Last edited by al112987 at Jan 12, 2009,
Quote by Mobiusr
What about the

Traynor YCV20 and 40 or even the 15 watt verisons?

Neither are as British sounding as the YCV50.

The YCV40 is more American, when stock, and the YCV20 (Which IS that 15 watt version you speak of...) doesn't have a whole lot of clean headroom.

Quote by Mobiusr
Can it get to the "Brown Sound"---------------> Traynor YCV50 blue.

Can it get to EVH tones? Yes. To get a true brown sound, there's a lot more work involved, and a lot more gear involved.
I'd go from guitar to cranked amp, to dummy load, to power amp, to speakers. This way, you can crank the amp to get that power tube distortion, but without blowing out your ears.
Totally unnecessary, though. You can get good EVH tones without re-amping...Just not a brown sound.

BTW, please edit posts, instead of double posting.
Last edited by forsaknazrael at Jan 12, 2009,
Quote by al112987
sound nothing like Marshalls and have major reliability issues

Bugera 333XL crunch channel can be VERY Marshall like and these amps can be made reliable fairly easily.

The problem is in the finishing assembly. You could almost say that Bugera should be advertised as a "kit" because you gotta thru the amps with a screw driver, soldering gun and a bias probe.
buy a vj and mod it to an 18 watter
baby will i think its called?
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone