Got a mesa boogie triple recto Fall of last year. Good condition enough, dude i got it from said it had new tubes, came in a hard case. Some of the tubes fell out of their sockets and the "insertion guide" on the bottom on the powertubes was broken on some.

Alright whatever, it still worked fine...

...at least I thought. This thing didn't have much gain on its lead channel. I thought that was just how tube amps worked...=/.

Upon listening to some further clips, and trying out some amps at a store, I realized something wasn't right.

So I checked all the settings, and made sure evertthing was set right. It was.

Still, very little gain. With the gain knob on 3 o clock (it goes to six o clock) it barely makes it to hard rock territory.

Now, I changed all the preamp tubes, thinking this might be the issue. Unforunately, no. Still there. I'm thinking it might be my guitar's pups (Agile AL-2000 standard pups) which seem to be pretty low output.

Any ideas lady and gents? Or just take it to a tech right away?

Cheers,
Thanks for your help and time,
Mike
Blackstar HT-5

Agile AL-2000 with Chrome Hardware
Well, the problems you stated in the first paragraph may have something to do with it. Not sure, I don't know too much about tube amps.

Pickups tend to help. Usually pickups that are made in-house by the guitar manufacturer are lower output than others.

I tried some tube amps out at GC before, and the gain wasn't as high as I thought it would be. I then figured out that most bands use high output pickups and some sort of overdrive/tubescreamer pedal along with it to get a heavy crushing sound
The humbuckers on your Agile should be enough to get plenty of gain out of the Mesa. the previous owner could have put in some low gain tubes, such as 12AT7's or something. I would take it to a decent tech and get his opinion.
Right well I stuck in a all 12AX7s just yesterday, no dice.
Blackstar HT-5

I'm hoping the volume on your guitar is turned up all the way? Any pedals?
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
The Triple Rec has alot of gain on tap. It could possibly be the problems you first stated with the amp. You may need new power amp tubes or some work done on the tube sockets to see exactly how badly damaged they were. Plus this is a TR with 150 watts. It won't perform its best until its really let loose and cranked. How hard are you actually pushing this amp?
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

Member #2 of the Coheed and Cambria fanclub, PM dementedpuppy to join.
I played the triple today, played through a Ibanez PG didn't have enough gain and then i got a ESP Eclipse with EMG's and it roared.
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Quote by OsirisProtocol
The Triple Rec has alot of gain on tap. It could possibly be the problems you first stated with the amp. You may need new power amp tubes or some work done on the tube sockets to see exactly how badly damaged they were. Plus this is a TR with 150 watts. It won't perform its best until its really let loose and cranked. How hard are you actually pushing this amp?

But doesn't it have a master volume? You should be able to really push the preamp tubes at relatively low volume still.
Quote by sargasm
I'd definatley get it to a tech. At least for an opinion. Because if you've tried different tubes, then its probably not gonna be a simple fix. Might be a voltage problem.
Quote by OsirisProtocol

This could possibly be it, due to my family always geing home I don't get a chance to crank it often (why I'm trying to ditch it, but this gain issue is definetely in the way). I never put the volume past 1 out of 10.

But the ENGL invader I tried had mad gain on tap even at low volumes.

So...yeah.
Blackstar HT-5

Quote by CrushedCan
This could possibly be it, due to my family always geing home I don't get a chance to crank it often (why I'm trying to ditch it, but this gain issue is definetely in the way). I never put the volume past 1 out of 10.

But the ENGL invader I tried had mad gain on tap even at low volumes.

So...yeah.

Does it sound the way you want if you max out the gain knob? (But leave volume low...)

(You didn't respond to my above post: Do you have any pedals? Is the volume on your guitar maxed/do you have another guitar to try?)
Quote by sargasm
Quote by `digitaL.braVo
Does it sound the way you want if you max out the gain knob? (But leave volume low...)

(You didn't respond to my above post: Do you have any pedals? Is the volume on your guitar maxed/do you have another guitar to try?)

Sorry. Yeah the vvolume is maxed on the guiar, and no pedals. BOth pickups same result, and I only have this one guitar to try (I'll ask my buddy to bring his next time)

IF I max the gain it gets a fantastic distortion, thick and powerful, just what I want. The manual for the thing says i shouldn't max the gain on it though because of "how powerful the amp is" or some such crap, saying thet ubes will break.

Cheers,
Mike
Blackstar HT-5

Thats strange, as the others said, try another guitar with hot pups and crank it up before you take it to a tech.
Quote by CrushedCan
Sorry. Yeah the vvolume is maxed on the guiar, and no pedals. BOth pickups same result, and I only have this one guitar to try (I'll ask my buddy to bring his next time)

IF I max the gain it gets a fantastic distortion, thick and powerful, just what I want. The manual for the thing says i shouldn't max the gain on it though because of "how powerful the amp is" or some such crap, saying thet ubes will break.

Cheers,
Mike

They're probably giving you that disclaimer assuming it's being turned up fairly loud. Either way I'd still take it to a tech. I've played on them a bunch at stores and I only had to set the gain to say 1 o'clock at a low volume and I got a very good, think distortion. It sounds like to me that the pre amp tubes aren't being utilized properly. You shouldn't have to max out the gain even at a very low volume b/c those amps have a ton of gain on tap.
Quote by CrushedCan

Cheers,
Mike

Says you shouldn't max gain? Not volume? 'Cause it's kinda agreed upon no amp should be volume maxed, but gain... eh? I'm willing to bet if you hike the volume you'll get in the range you want.

Disclaimer: If you hate solid-state stop reading. 'Cause... this is just gonna get bad comments lol.

With my solid-state head I like the gain at like... 3/4's or so up, and I notice as the volume goes up the gain changes it's style... it sounds very different. So give it a shot?
Quote by sargasm
Quote by `digitaL.braVo
Says you shouldn't max gain? Not volume? 'Cause it's kinda agreed upon no amp should be volume maxed, but gain... eh? I'm willing to bet if you hike the volume you'll get in the range you want.

Disclaimer: If you hate solid-state stop reading. 'Cause... this is just gonna get bad comments lol.

With my solid-state head I like the gain at like... 3/4's or so up, and I notice as the volume goes up the gain changes it's style... it sounds very different. So give it a shot?

Yeah i'm gonna take it to a store and try it out in their amp room tuesday, with one of their hihg output pups, and if still nothing, then its going to their tech.

CHeers, thanks for the helps mates.
Blackstar HT-5

Quote by CrushedCan
Yeah i'm gonna take it to a store and try it out in their amp room tuesday, with one of their hihg output pups, and if still nothing, then its going to their tech.

CHeers, thanks for the helps mates.

Good luck. Hope it all gets cleared up.
Quote by sargasm