All of my electric guitars are hard-tails. I'm thinking about venturing into the wonderful world of whammy.

What are the main pros and cons of the various tremolo types- Bigsby, Floyd Rose, Wilkinsons, etc.?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Bigsbys don't have much range and are rare-ish to be found installed (compared to the other types of trem) these days. They're a jazz/blues/country thing, mostly. Not really a shreddy style, you won't be getting wailing harmonics on them.

Floyd Rose keep tune better than a rock sticks to the ground, but they can be a pain to tune and restring, though this gets much better with practice. You can also pull up (ie whammy up) if they're recessed.

Wilkinsons are basically refined versions of strat-type trems... I think. Correct me if I'm wrong. Their main problem with Strat trems is that tuning can be a little unstable if you use them too much, too many divebombs and so on.

The Stetbars are cool, and need very little actual installation. I think they only fit on stop-tail type bridges.
Last edited by webbtje at Jan 12, 2009,
Thanks for the quick volunteering of info!

I guess I should have been a bit clearer, though...

I'm not looking to mod a guitar- not yet, anyway- I'm wondering about what you can and can't do with the various kinds of trems, and after that, I'll buy a guitar with whatever kind of trem I decide fits me best.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Yeah, I just thought the Stetsbar was worth a mention. I wouldn't dream of modding a guitar to take a Bigsby
locking trems are the way to go better sustain no loss of tune massive dive bomb capability the only flaw is if ur changing ur tuning lots and if its just to drop d and back u can get a little tool called a d-tuna that will do it for u as long as its not a recessed tremolo
Keep On Keepen' On
Quote by JessyB96
locking trems are the way to go better sustain no loss of tune massive dive bomb capability the only flaw is if ur changing ur tuning lots and if its just to drop d and back u can get a little tool called a d-tuna that will do it for u as long as its not a recessed tremolo

Did you compare that to the Stetsbar because I have a hard time to believe that a floating bridge can give better sustain than fixed bridge.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

I have an Ibanez S620EXQM, I don't have any problems restringing it or tuning it, the worst part of tuning it is that I always drop my allen wrench. The fine tuners, when used right, give quite a bit of range to get you to the perfect spot, I usually only tune once a week, and I usually don't have too, It really worth it to me.