As we all know, when one posts a topic of discussion which has already been discussed, he or she is attacked for lack of use of the search bar.

When one DOES use the searchbar, and posts in an old topic, he or she is attacked for bringing the old thread from the dead.

Whats the deal, pit? We must pick... old threads, or new threads?

"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
Last edited by SlinkyBlue at Jan 12, 2009,
welp im going to go in a different direction and attack you for making a shitty-ass, boring thread.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
Depends on the topic. If it's purely for information, reading an old thread and not replying is appropriate. If it's asking for advice or new input for a fresh situation/idea, then kewl. New thread.

This is only my humble opinion on forum ettiquette, it's subjective of course.
"search bar" is a misnomer as the search bar itself is a pile of wank, you move three links to the left and use the full search function.
Search bar jokes suck major ass. Even if a thread has never been done before there'll be a searchbar joke.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
I've been thinking about this for a while actually. I'd say it's better to make a new thread. Old threads are annoying to navigate for the information you want when most of the time, people could give it to you quicker if you made a new thread. IMO of course.
I think the problem is that people make threads when they could have used the searchbar to find the answer to the question they are asking (which is usually a question that is repeated ad nauseum on the forums, such as "Does i-doser actually work?"). I think if someone legitimately searches, and does not find an answer, then it's okay to create a new thread on a topic already discussed, as opposed to resurrecting an old thread to ask their question.
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
Last edited by Spoony_Bard at Jan 12, 2009,
Someone had it in their sig.
A) Post new thread and be flamed for not using searchbar
B) Bump an old thread and be flamed for digging up a year old thread.
Or something like that.
♪♫♪
92% percent of the teen population would be dead if Hollywood said it wasn't cool to breathe anymore.
Put this in your signature if you are one of the 92% who wouldn't be breathing.
Good responses...

In my 2+ years of being in the pit, the searchbar references are getting on my nerves. You know people are saying it just for the bandwagon.
-Jim Morrison
Quote by wesselbindt
O rly?

I've been here. Not signed up.

nazi.
-Jim Morrison
The search bar typically results in seventeen pages of useless results. I prefer not to use it when I start a thread.
Quote by Kensai
I know a good joke:

Women's rights.
Quote by Chubbychunks
I know a good joke:

Kensai's life.
As we all know, when one posts a topic of discussion which has already been discussed, he or she is attacked for lack of use of the search bar.

When one DOES use the searchbar, and posts in an old topic, he or she is attacked for being the old thread from the dead.

What if one was to use the searchbar, and then create an all new topic never posted before?

I just ruined your paradox.

In my 2+ years of being in the pit...

You just failed miserably at trying to sound like a veteran.
I've been browsing UG for years, and I don't ever say, "In my many years of study..."
Quote by Le_Bunny
As a lurker derrr. Hasn't everyone lurked the UG forums before registering?

I didn't, I didn't bother coming to the forums until mid last year, now I post fairly often....
♪♫♪
92% percent of the teen population would be dead if Hollywood said it wasn't cool to breathe anymore.
Put this in your signature if you are one of the 92% who wouldn't be breathing.
Quote by Josh Shiells
What if one was to use the searchbar, and then create an all new topic never posted before?

I just ruined your paradox.

You just failed miserably at trying to sound like a veteran.
I've been browsing UG for years, and I don't ever say, "In my many years of study..."

Well aren't you a condescending one?

-Jim Morrison
I said the same thing in regards to the previously posted information vs. fresh input from fellow users on a subjective question when some wannabe moderator pulled some searchbar quip on a guy who posted a ****ing game thread that had apparently been posted before. What is the problem with simply starting the game anew, rather than bumping a months old 8 page thread? But of course it would have been fine the TS had put "2.0" at the end of his thread title . Needless to say, this douchebag smartass 12 year old with a knack for imitation proceeded to copy and paste the forum rules for me.

Honestly, nobody gives a **** about repeat threads, not to mention the fact that the search function sucks some huge wang. It has never ever given me good results even when I know for a fact that what I'm searching for has been clearly and precisely posted before.
I do find it annoying when people flame threads just because similar ones have been done before. Who cares? This is a guitar site, if someone posts something in a forum that is appropriate (leaving the pit out of this example), then why the heck should people tell them to look up information elsewhere? That's what this site's for ffs.

I saw a guy post a thread inquiring about details of a distortion pedal, and he got told sarcastically to use Google. I mean, WTF??? What, we aren't allowed to ask people for information if it's contained in a search engine that encompasses almost all of the internet? So what if we can find it easily in Google, or elsewhere in this site, why not just ask people and get fresh answers?

And as far as the pit goes, well, old threads do die 99.99% of the time, so what's the harm in freshening things up a bit? Oh boo hoo, you have to look at a similar thread again, go have a cry.
Last edited by AVA_Plus44_182 at Jan 12, 2009,
Quote by AVA_Plus44_182
No one asked you to pull out a tape measure on your penis in the first place so keep quiet.

Where the hell did that come from?
-Jim Morrison
Quote by SlinkyBlue

When one DOES use the searchbar, and posts in an old topic, he or she is attacked for bringing the old thread from the dead.

Whats the deal, pit? We must pick... old threads, or new threads?

sometimes the answer is EASY:

If the "old" thread was just done yesterday, use the old thread.

If the old thread was a year ago, start a new thread,
unless old thread is old news. then no thread.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by huevos
I agree. What killjoy.
Btw, your hair. ****ing rawkin.

I guess the Pit is lurking with haters tonight. More than usual I mean.

It's no biggie though, if we're talking UG experience. My 3000+ Pageviews > His 600, after all.

-Jim Morrison
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Search bar jokes suck major ass. Even if a thread has never been done before there'll be a searchbar joke.

ur mums a serchbar oll
The will be heartache,
there will be rain,
and joy I can't explain.
Quote by titsmcgee852
ur mums a serchbar oll

ur mum's fayse is a serchbar !!

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
ur mum's fayse is a serchbar !!

lol u wach wen i get to adelaids ill show u how much of a serchbar ur mum is lol
The will be heartache,
there will be rain,
and joy I can't explain.
Quote by titsmcgee852
lol u wach wen i get to adelaids ill show u how much of a serchbar ur mum is lol

bitch ill fk chu up

We're pretty good at spamming threads with pathetic arguments to be honest...

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
bitch ill fk chu up

We're pretty good at spamming threads with pathetic arguments to be honest...

We should count them

*DIBS NOT DOING IT*
The will be heartache,
there will be rain,
and joy I can't explain.
Quote by titsmcgee852
We should count them

*DIBS NOT DOING IT*

Dick

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Dick

lol sry
The will be heartache,
there will be rain,
and joy I can't explain.