Poll: Heavyweight guitars or Lightweight guitars?
Poll Options
View poll results: Heavyweight guitars or Lightweight guitars?
Heavyweight
28 33%
Lightweight
32 38%
dosent really matter.
24 29%
Voters: 84.
i prefer a heavier guitar, simply for the attack it produces when i pick the strings. Plus i just like the feeling of a heavier guitar strapped around my shoulders than a feather weight guitar.
Crank your rig on 12, let it feedback wide-open for a good two minutes, freak your neighbors out and ENJOY THE POWER OF THE GUITAR! 'Oh, what a feeling,' and it ain't no damned Toyota!" ----Dimebag Darrell
No VS threads please, they always turn into flaming thread and don't end up pretty.
I prefer heavier instruments since they seem to have more tone and sustain to them.They just feel better.That being said,I hate the feeling of them when standing,so I compromise and go for medium weight guitars if they have what I want on them to get the best of both worlds.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

heavy. solid mahogany. mmmm.
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...
Went for doesn't matter. It does, but that was the only neutral response.

It depends on what I'm playing. For something heavy or punky I'd want something heavy which i can give a bit of a beating, but if I'm playing lighter stuff which is more jangly or whatever, I'd choose a lighter guitar. All depends on how heavy or complex the music is really.
My name is Danny. Call me that.
Quote by Pr0gNut
I prefer heavier instruments since they seem to have more tone and sustain to them.They just feel better.That being said,I hate the feeling of them when standing,so I compromise and go for medium weight guitars if they have what I want on them to get the best of both worlds.

standing, thrashing around with a heavy guitar to me is fun as hell.....dosent bother me really, but then again i am over 6 feet tall and over 250 lbs not to mention weight training as well so go figure
Crank your rig on 12, let it feedback wide-open for a good two minutes, freak your neighbors out and ENJOY THE POWER OF THE GUITAR! 'Oh, what a feeling,' and it ain't no damned Toyota!" ----Dimebag Darrell
I have an S series Ibanez so, it's kinda obvious which side I'm on. That said, they are mahogany bodies, and have a great sustain and tone, almost as much as a Les Paul, because of the lovely body design. Therefore, I get the best of both worlds!!
Ibanez Saber Series Owner!

Don't jump on the bandwagon, Line 6 Spider III's Aren't that bad!

B.U.C.K.E.T.H.E.A.D.

Quote by kirkwannabe

You, goonerbynature, win teh internetz.

Quote by b4t3man

Gold.

Quote by whitenihilist

i went for doesn't matter, i can feel comfortable playing any as long as the shape is comfortable enough, though i do lke the weight of my schecter and les paul, just feels like its gonna last, and doesnt feel like a toy.
There's no point fearing death, as it is inevitably going to happen

ESP Ltd H-302
Jackson KE3 (for sale)
Schecter Blackhawk
Roland Cube 60
Light guitars for when I'm standing and playing stuff that makes me feel grooooovey and wanna move around alot and heavy guitars for when I'm feeling lazy and just wanna slouch around while strumming.
I like heavy guitars....I'm a bassist, though, so a heavy guitar is still about average to me. I use a 10+ pound monster, the Peavey T-60, if that says anything, and aspire to get the 12+ pound T-40.
Nope, no sig here.
Heavy guitars are generally dead sounding guitars.... dead bottom end, bright top end and an unlively midrange.

Generally (but not always) the lighter the piece of wood the better as the wood itself will vibrate more instead of being resisting it. This is one of the reasons that custom shop models are almost always lighter than standard production models.

Quote by asator
Went for doesn't matter. It does, but that was the only neutral response.

It depends on what I'm playing. For something heavy or punky I'd want something heavy which i can give a bit of a beating, but if I'm playing lighter stuff which is more jangly or whatever, I'd choose a lighter guitar. All depends on how heavy or complex the music is really.

Two of the best heavy and punk guitars are the SG and the Les Paul Jr. Both are extremely light guitars known for their aggressive attack.

If I were playing something heavy or punky, I'd choose an SG for it's razor edged attack. Then, if I were playing something light I'd choose a Les Paul for it's thicker clean and overdrive tones.
Last edited by some_dude_2 at Jan 12, 2009,
lighter guitars, more so for comfort than anything
Without spiritual mentoring, too much freedom can lead to the soul's decay
- Prince
medium anyone?
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Doesn't matter for me, it kinda' depends on the genre.

Heavy guitars (more sustain, bassier and stronger notes), for metal/rock/etc

Lightweight guitars (twangier, usually thing necks, etc), for shred/country/etc
I like them to be light weight, because I move around a lot and don't like anything heavy hanging from my neck.

That is why I play SG's. Sound similar to a Les Paul, but are lighter (and have a better feel to me.)
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Medium weight? My ESP isn't light but it's not heavy, feels really balanced, in sound and feeling.
i use lighter weight guitars because i have shoulder problems, and the weight of les pauls causes me alot of problems, which is why i have this particular les paul copy, it is lighter but still has the les paul sound.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

along with fire escape routes...

I have a cort performer series (if you look in my profile you can see a picture of it). I just weighed it and it's 3.6kg. I think that is 7lb 14.98oz. I'm not sure if that is light or not but I really like the weight of my guitar. I played another guitar a while ago, I think it was a squier and it was really light. It felt like a toy! But if I played it more, I would probably have become more used to it's weight. I don't know anything about how the weight of a guitar effects the tone.
Quote by goonerbynature
I have an S series Ibanez so, it's kinda obvious which side I'm on. That said, they are mahogany bodies, and have a great sustain and tone, almost as much as a Les Paul, because of the lovely body design. Therefore, I get the best of both worlds!!

As an owner of an Ibanez S I can surely say that the tone from a Les Paul GREATLY surpasses that of the Ibanez. Sure its got sweet highs but not nearly enough body wood to achieve the sustaine and fat low end of a LP.

If you have a nice strap and aren't 5 feet tall you can manage lugging around a heavier instrument. But I base my liking of a guitar on tone and playability waaay before its weight.
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!