i was watching top gear a little while ago, and in this particular episode they were trying to pedict classic cars of the future - so what do you think will be the classic guitars of the future?

when i say classic, i mean that it will be worth more in a few years than it is now (this doesn't include limited editions because thats obvious)

i think it'll probably be the higher end models of companies that are kind of up and coming but still haven't gained full acceptance yet, or very early models of guitars from the 60's that were crap at the time but still have the appeal of being 'vintage'

My predictions
Tiesco and kay guitars - they were awful then, theyre awful now, but they are true 50's and 60s guitars and they can still be found fairly cheap - i think that'll change after a while - theres only so many real fender 60's strats about.

Gordon smith - made in England, theyve never really sold millions of guitars, but theres not a lot of manufacturers in england that have a length of history, and i think that with lots of international events taking place in england, the pride will probably promt some people to start buying british.
In 30 years' time, you'll probably find a fair few Yamaha AES or Pacificas, and PRS SEs on the vintage market.

As for 'future classic' designs? I think the Ibanez S series is the closest thing we've got to a defining guitar of the late 20th century - it really is a superbly designed instrument. Fernandes and Trussart may also gain mainstream popularity, but it could go either way really.

There's some great manufacturers who're making a definite effort to evolve the electric guitar though....

Gary Kramer Guitars:

RKS:

Jeff Babicz Guitars:

Devillian 'Centrefold':

XOX 'The Handle':

Paradis 'Diguit':
Last edited by kyle62 at Jan 12, 2009,
Eastwood Guitars.

The majority of their stuff is remakes of classics, but with far better materials than the originals.

I think a lot of Eastwoods stuff will be highly sought after in 20+ years.

I could be wrong though....
Certain signature models. Why? because signature models are not regular production models meaning they won't be around forever. Imagine just as an example buying a George Lynch sig back in the mid 80's not thinking too much about it how much it could be worth now if there was such a thing. People will want to relive that era, or that time the artist used that certain guitar which will no longer be available 20+ years from now. Of course this won't work for all and certain sigs are just overplayed to the ground but interesting to think about. Fans and collectors are weird, if you got something worth while to them they'll be willing to shell out the cash to get it.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
I think in 30 years time PRS guitars will probably have 'vintage' value along with Schecters.
Quote by Axe Murderer
Eastwood Guitars.

The majority of their stuff is remakes of classics, but with far better materials than the originals.

I think a lot of Eastwoods stuff will be highly sought after in 20+ years.

I could be wrong though....

Nah, they'll never top the original Airline stuff, the fact that they are made of unusual material gave them the appeal that they had. Was something special and unqiue about it back then, to re-issue it but without the essense of the old gear just means you're paying for a look.....perhaps better made but missing out on the fact its an original thing

jack white always says he loves his airline cos it goes out of tune all the time and makes his playing have to over come that issue, and its a unquie sounding bit of kit

i'd happily pay the same price in 10years for what an eastwood is now but wouldn't pay over the odds when you could spend some more and get the real deal
Parker?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
kyle62's post has some excellent "future classics" that would have been on my list.

With only 5 models ever made (as I recall) the Chrysalis Inflatable Guitars will become classics. And if anyone pursues continuing development of the tech...
http://www.chrysalisguitar.com/

I think that the guitars of some of the luthiers and smaller manufacturers will also make it, as will unusual models from larger manufacturers are simply unlike other guitars in quality, visual or sonic impact. Malden's Subhuman, JKG guitars in general (http://www.gearwire.com/jkg-guitars-model19-guitarshow.html), Gottschall Funnelbodies (http://www.gottschall-guitars.de/), Vigier's Surfreter fretless guitars (http://www.vigierguitars.com/guitares-56-0.php?cat=12&souscat=43&type=tous), the Parker Fly and Fernandes' Ravelle Sustainer spring to mind.

Then, of course, there are going to be all those ultra-high end guitars as works of art, like this one from Thorn, for instance. http://www.thornguitars.com/galleryhtm/dc012.htm
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
prs and michael kelly hopefully
Quote by illuminatiano
do not go on guitar forums

there are drugs there

( and ololol there are )
PRS most likely, and possibly some little known brand, maybe vigier (even though they are pretty well known).
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

along with fire escape routes...

I'd assume American Strats would be worth tons as much as they are in 40-50 years.

Same thing with Gibsons, I guess.

Personally, though. I definately think the Ibanez guitars of the 2000-2010 era will be sought after in like, 2020. The 80s Ibanez guitars were sought after in the 90s, the 90s in the 2000s, etc.

Schecters, definately. Maybe some ESP custom models?
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
I would guess that original unmodded high quality USA guitars will be worth a lot.

Because everyone is modding cheapos they will be worth a lot in original condition.
i suppose it depends on where music goes as well - if it goes back to classic rock type stuff as some people think it will, then i think we'll probably see the typical les paul copies becoming worth more

i think if the nu metal sort of thing continues tho, then we might see some classics in the form of early 7 strings