I've fitted an SH6 into the bridge position of my Epi G-400 leaving stock pickup in the neck. It was out of phase so I changed the wires around however it is still sounding bad. The green (originally on back of pot) has been switched with the black. Despite a small sound increase the neck pickup still sounds massively boosted whilst the bridge is very "tinny" still. Is there any way I can fix this problem or is this actually how the SH-6 is meant to sound?
I've been through the same thing, and sometimes it seems the only solition is buying a matching set, or just one that is better matched.
4 conductor in bridge single conductor in neck (epiphone stock). Do you say that disconecting the neck pickup would allow the bridge to work to its full output?
On the SH-6 the green and bare wires should be soldered to the back of the volume pot. Then the red & white wires get soldered together and taped off. The black one is your Hot wire and it should go to first lug on the left on the volume pot. Here's you a diagram.
Last edited by zakkwyldefan79 at Jan 12, 2009,
I did that. And it was out of phase so i switched the green and black wires. It sounds better but the neck is still being boosted drastically and bridge sounding tinny, still.
Quote by minimann
I did that. And it was out of phase so i switched the green and black wires. It sounds better but the neck is still being boosted drastically and bridge sounding tinny, still.

You might have a bad pickup then. Did you buy it new or used? It should sound fine wired like the diagram I posted so that pickup must have issues.
It was a brand new pickup standard spaced. I think the main problem should be that there is a single conductor Epiphone pickup in the neck
Quote by minimann
It was a brand new pickup standard spaced. I think the main problem should be that there is a single conductor Epiphone pickup in the neck

No that's not the problem. I had a Seymour Duncan SH-6b in my LTD EC100QM with an Epiphone neck pickup (originally from my Explorer because I liked it better than the original LTD neck pickup) and worked perfectly. I used the Epiphone pickup until I got the money for a SD Jazz neck pickup. I have since swapped the SH-6 for a JB bridge pickup and the SH-6 is in one of my other guitars. People mix and match pickups all the time and the number of wires a pickup has doesn't matter as long as they are connected to the right place.
Last edited by zakkwyldefan79 at Jan 12, 2009,