Page 1 of 2
Im in 11th grade in the US. Right now i really want to drop out and enroll in Adult High school so i can take night classes to get my high school diploma and work a job during the day to save money.

Has anyone here done this or something similar?

I really hate school at this point because i feel like im not getting anywhere or learning anything and im just barely getting by. I can't see school helping my future at all. I have no plan and my grades are **** pretty much so i dont think any good college would take me at this point. If i do it this way i will be able to save money while still at my parents and i'll still be getting my high school diploma, just not the traditional way.
as long as you get the diploma youre fine
but it'll be harder than hell to get a job without one
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
As long as you get your diploma I don't see any real problems. It may help to learn in a different enviroment if the current one isn't helping.
I dropped out at the beggining of 11th grade and got my GED two weeks later.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Why would adult high school be any different than normal school. Might aswell get it over with.

If you hate normal school you'd hate having a job and going to school where you don't know anyone.
I've thought about it, but never went through with it. Just get the diploma by any means necessary.
Current Gear:
Michael Kelly Club Custom 5 Acoustic Bass
Dean Performer Series PE-QM-TGE
Varrios Basic 5 Bass
Acoustic B450 Combo Amp
I support the 2nd Amendment. I don't support people who abuse it.
Don't do drugs. Stay in school.
Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who...
Quote by Necrophagist777
I'm ORION, LORD OF EVIL, give me your soul and breathe in my darkness.

YOU WILL NOT ENJOY THIS......
╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮
Yea, that's fine as long as you actually do it. But make sure if you drop out that you immediately enroll in night classes, because the longer you're out of school, the less likely it is that you'll ever go back, and you at the very least need to finish high school.
from.lashes.to.ashes || from.lust.to.dust
Do more drugs. Stay in school.
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
RED MILITIA FACTION
Yeah, you should do whatever to get a diploma. You can get a job with an $85 K a year salary with just a High School diploma.
My gear:
Schecter C-1+ w/ Seymour duncan Jazz (neck) and Full Shred (bridge), with Sperzels
B-52 LG-100A 4x12 half stack
Rogue LX405 Bass
Yamaha classical
Some sort of acoustic Squier
Boss Flanger
Lyon Chorus
Quote by Trickycindy

He's right. My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
Quote by Necrophagist777

╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮
Quote by 0RI0N

I already do and i smoke loads of weed and it just helps me realize how much i really hate the traditional 4 year high school system.
stop being such an emo kid, suck it up, and finish high school. That's what I did. You'll thank yourself later.
Quote by Greenie_777
Why would adult high school be any different than normal school. Might aswell get it over with.

If you hate normal school you'd hate having a job and going to school where you don't know anyone.

Greenie's got a point.

Also, if your grades are shitty in normal high school, they aren't gonna magically get better by switching to an adult school. You just need to study better.
Quote by FortuneFaded
I already do and i smoke loads of weed and it just helps me realize how much i really hate the traditional 4 year high school system.

This right here is your problem.
Quote by Necrophagist777

╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮
Quote by FortuneFaded

No it made you lazy enough to hate it.
Quote by SchecterC-1+Man
Yeah, you should do whatever to get a diploma. You can get a job with an $85 K a year salary with just a High School diploma.

wow.. I need to move to wherever you live..

Neverland perhaps ??
Quote by boomboosh
What the f**k is you problems?
Yes, I made an account to ask this question. Is it really that weird? No. I wanted some feedback from some proper guitar experts who knew what they were talking about. Sorry, I guess I was wrong.
Here's some food for thought... shouldnt u be discussing this with ur parents and maybe asking ur friends for advice, not some random people on the net....
Jackson Pro Series DK2M Dinky
Ibanez GRG 270
Ibanez Tone Blaster 25R
Zoom G2
DigiTech Rp50
Stay in school and work on your grades. Get your diploma. It's a fact: The less education you have, the less you earn over your life. Even if you're not going to college, get the diploma.
Quote by SchecterC-1+Man

Which job is that? Professional bank robber?
That's what I did. Took me about 5 months to get my GED. It's pretty worth it in my opinion. I went to school with mostly adults then I went and took my test.

It's a GED but still says High School Diploma, so they're basically the same thing. Your choice though
The reason my grades are **** is because i miss so much school. With adult high i dont have to get up at 6 in the morning and stay in school for 7 hours
Quote by FortuneFaded
The reason my grades are **** is because i miss so much school. With adult high i dont have to get up at 6 in the morning and stay in school for 7 hours

well, don't stay up until 4 in the morning then. and stop smoking weed. Those two things will make a world of difference.
Quote by FortuneFaded

Well maybe don't miss school?

With adult high school you will have to get up and go to work and then the same day when you just wanna go home and relax you have to go work with strangers.

Don't blame the school system because you're to lazy to go to school.
Quote by say5ss2
Here's some food for thought... shouldnt u be discussing this with ur parents and maybe asking ur friends for advice, not some random people on the net....

you guys are my friends
A friend of mine did just that: dropped out at grade 11 and completed his diploma at night school... he even graduated BEFORE the rest of us. Of course, he has a genius-level IQ, which might have something to do with that. He went on to earn 3 college degrees as well (AS, BS, & MS in various disciplines).

I also finished my HS diploma in night school (due to a trigonometry teacher who failed me during my senior year) & went on to earn two college degrees. I now work as a Network Design Engineer.

I'd say that as long as you complete a regular diploma & not a GED, you should be fine.
Quote by FortuneFaded
you guys are my friends

We're only your friend as long as you have.... huh? What's that? You don't have any money? Oh, you never graduated. Ciao!
Quote by sinofian
A friend of mine did just that: dropped out at grade 11 and completed his diploma at night school... he even graduated BEFORE the rest of us. Of course, he has a genius-level IQ, which might have something to do with that. He went on to earn 3 college degrees as well (AS, BS, & MS in various disciplines).

I also finished my HS diploma in night school (due to a trigonometry teacher who failed me during my senior year) & went on to earn two college degrees. I now work as a Network Design Engineer.

I'd say that as long as you complete a regular diploma & not a GED, you should be fine.

That type of inspiration can give false hope. Not all of us have 160 IQs and are members of Mensa. Even rocket scientists are best served by staying in school and graduating.
Quote by KG6_Steven
That type of inspiration can give false hope. Not all of us have 160 IQs and are members of Mensa. Even rocket scientists are best served by staying in school and graduating.

True, but you'll notice that my post recommends that he complete a regular HS diploma (by whichever means necessary) instead of a GED.
Quote by 0RI0N

Yes, drink yourself into an oblivion of mediocre consistency.
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
RED MILITIA FACTION
Quote by sinofian

GED and high school diploma are the same thing.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Quote by nebiru

No they are not. If a potential employer sees a GED on your resume, they know that you took the easy way out of high school. Seeing a diploma means that you finish what you start.
Quote by nebiru

no there not a GED is acquired by taking a test, a high school diploma is attained by finishing high school one way or another
You could always join the army and shoot people who'd love to take advantage of your laziness and dismissal of the opportunities that they'll never hear of.
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
RED MILITIA FACTION
Furthermore, let's face it: traditional education just doesn't work for some people.

Personally, I have my mother to thank for pushing my teachers to challenge me. When I was in grade school, she saw that I was bored with tedious & repetitive classwork. Instead of completing the entire assignment, I would do a couple of problems, get bored, & start goofing off. My teachers wanted to retain me b/c my grades suffered as a result. Instead, my mother talked them into moving me into the advanced classes, where I did MUCH better.

This problem again reared it's head when I first went to college. I was originally a music education major & found myself getting extremely bored when doing the mountains of repetitive exercises in my music theory courses.

I eventually dropped out of college (due to personal reasons, not grades) & spent a few years working in restaurant management & retail before I decided that if I ever wanted to earn some real $$$, I'd better get my azz back in school.

I first wrapped up an AA degree at my local community college (I only had a couple of classes left at that point) & went on to complete a BS degree from Florida State completely online. I'm now getting ready to go back for a Masters' degree.
What's the main thing a good college would look at when your applying? High school grades? standardized test scores? Im just wondering.
Quote by FortuneFaded
What's the main thing a good college would look at when your applying? High school grades? standardized test scores? Im just wondering.

both

[edit] potential employers also look at your college GPA, btw. Don't F off in school, kids.
Last edited by sinofian at Jan 12, 2009,
Quote by Trickycindy

Here's a hit of ice, this will help you stay focused as long with stay up when you had those tough mornings/nights before school.
Pink Floyd is Teh Best

Xbox Gamertag = Nick Schro

Lets blaze, put this in your sig if you want to get high
Page 1 of 2