View poll results: Which design?
Nautical Star
7 78%
Different design (post in thread)
0 0%
Just paint it flat black
2 22%
Voters: 9.
I've had this bass for awhile and I'm thinking about painting it. Right now its black with a white pickguard. I'm thinking I'm going to paint it flat black (including the headstock and pickguard). I'm considering taping off a nautical star on the front so it stays the glossy black for a kind of ghost design on the front. What do you think? Design or no design? Any other suggestions than a nautical star?

Side question: I'm thinking about upgrading the pickups while I have them out. What do you recommend? Both pickups are jazz-style.
I might be mistaken, but couldn't you just take some high grit sandpaper or some steel wool to the body and get a flat black look for it? Just to get a bit of the clear off?

Luster is more in the clear coat, if I remember what my shop teacher told me correctly.
Quote by Joe-White
I might be mistaken, but couldn't you just take some high grit sandpaper or some steel wool to the body and get a flat black look for it? Just to get a bit of the clear off?

Luster is more in the clear coat, if I remember what my shop teacher told me correctly.

I'm going to paint the headstock anyway...and there are a few knicks in the paint anyway so I'm going to spray the whole thing.
Quote by eyebanez333
I'm going to paint the headstock anyway...and there are a few knicks in the paint anyway so I'm going to spray the whole thing.

To each their own.

Doing this and attempting to do the nautical star might be a bit of a problem though.

Just make sure you get a good matte clear coat and don't go all crazy when buffing it and you should get a nice flat black out of the paint job.
The flat black I'm going to use covers well...my plan is to tape off a nautical star on the front...spray the flat black, and pull the tape; leaving the nautical star design in glossy black. Then spray clear over the whole thing. The headstock and pickguard won't be a problem.
Find some pictures online that you like, put them into a high contrast, and stencil them, it's really fun.
------

Shwiggity.
Quote by eyebanez333
The flat black I'm going to use covers well...my plan is to tape off a nautical star on the front...spray the flat black, and pull the tape; leaving the nautical star design in glossy black. Then spray clear over the whole thing. The headstock and pickguard won't be a problem.

To get to the nicks in the body though, you might have to sand all the way to the wood, which is a good idea anyway. Unless you plan on sanding around the star, then it'll just be a bit uneven at the end.
Quote by Joe-White
To get to the nicks in the body though, you might have to sand all the way to the wood, which is a good idea anyway. Unless you plan on sanding around the star, then it'll just be a bit uneven at the end.

yeah the knicks are just in the paint, they aren't too bad. I'm going to sand those to even them out before paint.
I'd go for the Seymours, I like their tone the best (If you're looking for a pop-pink, trebley tone).

I love 5 string P basses for one reason, the 2 inch nut. Would be perfect for a 16mm string spacing 6 string bridge.
sand the edges flat like an rg, then bevel the edges while aking the beveled edge increasingly bigger as you getting to the bottom. spray the bevels mettalic silver, rest flat balck, mirror pickgaurd, paint headstock black.

what you get= badass metal bass