Just a quick question bout raising/lowering pickups....where bouts do u guys like to have them...low/high/middle/half low

do they need too be even??

dumb quick question

cheers
If the pickups are too low, it causes your signal to be too low. If they're too high, the magnets in the pickups can actually have a dampening effect on the strings. This causes the strings to stop vibrating much sooner than they should. Best not to mess with your pickups, unless you know what you're doing. Most manufacturers will recommend the proper spacing for their products. Check out the manufacturers website for yours.
i've got an mtm2..took the v7/v8 out and emgs in...will that change the manufacturers recommendations?
Quote by slipknot_0008
i've got an mtm2..took the v7/v8 out and emgs in...will that change the manufacturers recommendations?

Obviously it would.They're two different pups made by two different companies.Check out the EMG site for a guide to them.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

If you have EMG's in your guitar you can have the pickups much closer to the strings because the magnets in them are weaker so they don't affect the string vibration as much. Every pickup has a sweet spot, or a sweet spot that the player likes. Some like their pickups to be rather close and give you a more defined attack but like mentioned earlier that can have a negative effect. Depends on what you like best.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
i got 81/85.....81s are stronger (correct me if im wrong) so might be an ideal setup to have that a little lower than the 85... i cant find any specs on the net
Quote by slipknot_0008
i got 81/85.....81s are stronger (correct me if im wrong) so might be an ideal setup to have that a little lower than the 85... i cant find any specs on the net

EMG recommends their active pickups be as close to the strings as possible without getting in the way. Fret the last fret on the 1st and the 6th strings and rasie the the each side of the pickups until they are close by not touching the strings.

Passive pickups are different, too close and they will have negative effects on the strings. These should be generally spaced about 5/32th of an inch from the bottom of the string when fretting the last fret.

Play the guitar and then see if you need any more adjusting, but this time you should only be moving the pickups lower.
Imagination is more important than knowledge...
It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.
- Albert Einstein -
Actually the 85 has higher output then the 81 put the 81 has a ceramic magnet. Now if you're going for the typical 81 in the bridge, 85 in the neck position setup then the 81 will be very close to the strings and the 85 in the neck will be a lot further away. The reason for this to balance out the volume differences.
If you place both at the same height you'll notice the neck pickup will be significantly louder because the strings vibrate more at the neck then they do in the bridge position. Also look at any LP and you'll see the same thing, neck lower then the bridge pickup.

So you should set it up by getting the bridge pickup to your desired height, then adjust the neck pickup accordingly to even out the volumes between them when you switch from bridge to neck. Good luck
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst