Otherwise known as haggling. I suck at it. I am not going to lie. I usually feel bad for trying to talk them down, but there is a Jackson DKMGT that has been sitting in my local shop for a good 3-4 months now. I have played it and it is in excellent condition. But I only have 400 bucks, and their price is 5 something if I recall correctly. So how do I go about talking them down? Do I just go in and lay it on all the table, be like look homeslice, I will give you 400 cash for it right now? Or do I gradually haggle my way down, perhaps throwing in some barter goods like I learned in Oregon Trail such as an ox yoke or perhaps some axe heads? Its a local small shop, not like a Guitar Center, so isolating a salesperson shouldn't be hard... It is the convincing them that will prove the challenge. Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?
The guitar is 5-something. You're basically asking them to drop the price to sub 400. I'd say it's doubtful. Here's what you do. Does the guitar have any scratches or marks on it? Ask the salesman what his best price is. If he's still above $400, you point out the mark or scratch. He'll usually take it to the manager at this point. If he comes back with an offer that's still over $400, you counter with "I'll offer $400, including taxes." He'll either laugh you out of the store, or take it. Remember, most of these guys are working on commission. While it's good to always haggle, just remember he has to eat and provide for his family.
Get them to go as low as you can through haggling.If this is still too high say something like "Well that's too bad since I'm willing to take it off your hands right now for X amount of dollars" then just walk away,they might cave in and give you a deal.I've done that a few times and it seems to work,especially in smaller shops.In smaller shops there is less cash flow so a sale is pretty damn important.You could also study up on pricing guides and the condition the guitar is in to use that as a tool to get them to drop the price.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by Pr0gNut
Get them to go as low as you can through haggling.If this is still too high say something like "Well that's too bad since I'm willing to take it off your hands right now for X amount of dollars" then just walk away,they might cave in and give you a deal.I've done that a few times and it seems to work,especially in smaller shops.In smaller shops there is less cash flow so a sale is pretty damn important.You could also study up on pricing guides and the condition the guitar is in to use that as a tool to get them to drop the price.

Very good advice. The main bargaining tool is to use the condition to get the price as low as possible. Once they won't budge then say I will buy it right now for an amount lower. You would be amazed how low you can get things sometimes I recently made a purchase and got almost 40% off the price most places were selling them for. You just need to be confident and determined to cut a deal, just see it as a challenge and don't be afraid to walkaway as there will be other guitars.

Quote by KG6_Steven
The guitar is 5-something. You're basically asking them to drop the price to sub 400. I'd say it's doubtful. Here's what you do. Does the guitar have any scratches or marks on it? Ask the salesman what his best price is. If he's still above $400, you point out the mark or scratch. He'll usually take it to the manager at this point. If he comes back with an offer that's still over $400, you counter with "I'll offer $400, including taxes." He'll either laugh you out of the store, or take it. Remember, most of these guys are working on commission. While it's good to always haggle, just remember he has to eat and provide for his family.

I'm counting on the fact that its been hanging on the wall for a long time now to knock the price down. I remember something from economics about inventory and how its basically a money pit if you have a model that doesn't sell. :stickpoke: I wouldn't worry about the salespeople, its a college town so they are all kids my age. Otherwise I would feel a bit guilty about it.
I would just be honest and tell them you only have $400 but have been looking at it for a while. Ask if they will take $450 if you give them $400 now and "save up" the other $50. They may have pity on you.
Never hurts to try. If its been in the store a while they might be willing to haggle. What I'd do is walk in there and tell them you're interested in that guitar and how much he'd be willing to let it go for. If he's not direct with his answer, which I doubt he will be tell him you got $400 cash on you and would buy it right now for that and see what he says.

EDIT: ...and I wouldn't even be afraid to show him the money. Bring $50 bills, it makes it look like you got more, maybe even some $20's thrown in there

SHOW ME THE MONEY!!! I LOVE BLACK PEOPLE!!
/end Cuba Gooding Jr impersonation
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Last edited by DSOTM80 at Jan 12, 2009,
The way to do it is to tell them that is doing nothing but collecting dust and that you will offer 400.00... tell them that even though they might not make any money on this they would be getting your return business in the future and that in and by itself will be making them money.... Show the sales puck the cash !!!!
Yes, exactly to the last two posts. This isnt haggling at all. This is a customer laying it on the line to a salesman, and he can take it or leave it. Tell them you love the guitar, you know its been sitting on the shelf for months, and all you have to offer is $400 if they'll take it. It's that simple. Don't be embarrassed or shy, just offer it. You like the guitar right?
I'd come in with like 407 dollars. Something random. Tell them you've been saving as best you can, you like this guitar, and 407 dollars is all you have. I wouldn't be surprised if they are asking 5XX for it that you can't get it close to 400. My guitar's suggested retail was 799. I bought it for 359 + tax. 359 was their cost(according to them). So the price in the window is a good start but don't be afraid to offer less.

Good luck!
find a place online that sells it cheaper, within your budget preferably.

and at the end of the day its their choice whether they sell you it. from their point of view, its better you spend $400 with them that $400 with someone else

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

Guitar shop or pawn shop? :P Just take some crap to a pawn shop until you have like $50 more or higher and then go and haggle. You'll get it for $450 I bet.
Cash talks. Nowadays, don't expect to go nearly as far without waving the green.
Yeah alot of it is condition. If there are any nicks or scratches point them out and ask if they are willing to lower the price because of it. This works especially well when you are looking to buy the floor model as they are more willing to haggle with you. If not alot of times saying that you can get it somewhere else for X amount of dollars can help you out. I always try to get them to throw in a hard case with the purchase as well.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Quote by Kahn89
Otherwise known as haggling. I suck at it. I am not going to lie. I usually feel bad for trying to talk them down, but there is a Jackson DKMGT that has been sitting in my local shop for a good 3-4 months now. I have played it and it is in excellent condition. But I only have 400 bucks, and their price is 5 something if I recall correctly. So how do I go about talking them down? Do I just go in and lay it on all the table, be like look homeslice, I will give you 400 cash for it right now? Or do I gradually haggle my way down, perhaps throwing in some barter goods like I learned in Oregon Trail such as an ox yoke or perhaps some axe heads? Its a local small shop, not like a Guitar Center, so isolating a salesperson shouldn't be hard... It is the convincing them that will prove the challenge. Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?

This.

Probably means you dont get alot of pussy either.