Page 1 of 2
What kind of an amp is good to produce metal distorted heavy sound? I do hard rock and metal. They say a tubed amp needs to be boosted with an overdrive pedal. What kind of an amp should I buy, if I have 300 euros and want to produce metal? Or should I stay calm now and collect some more money? The goal is to play over non-boosted acoustic drums, so I will need like 30-60 watts.
Thank you!
Last edited by Amarant at Jan 12, 2009,
More Money!!!!
Quote by fearofthemark
A wild asshole appeared!

fearofthemark used GTFO

the june 09'er fled!

Rip Heavens Gate
save up and get a randall half stack for 499USD or look for a go to ravenamps.com i use a raven and a digitech death metal dist. pedal and it sounds good
300 Euros.... I guess that could be a problem if you want to buy a Diezel. That might get you a couple of knobs and a power cable.
Quote by tukk04
save up and get a randall half stack for 499USD or look for a go to ravenamps.com i use a raven and a digitech death metal dist. pedal and it sounds good

No.
1.) You don't need a half stack
2.) A $500 halfstack is going to be absolutely horrible
3.) Raven amps are crap
4.) The Digitech DDM is horrible too

I'd have a look at Bugera and the Randall RG50TC, you'd have to save a bit more but it would be worth it
if you can find a used 5150/6505 that would be awesome
ohai little sig.
I'm trying to find out first, if I need a tubed amp or not. I have heard that tubed amps are not so good for heavy distortion sounds. Is that correct and I should be looking for standard amps?
Thanks a lot!
Quote by Demonikk

I'd have a look at Bugera and the Randall RG50TC, you'd have to save a bit more but it would be worth it

I'd run away as fast as I could from Bugera. While they're cheap, they're cheap - I mean really cheap, as in so cheap I'd never play one.
Peavey 6505+? Laney something or other with an OD pedal in front of it? Save more and get an ENGL or Marshall or Diezel?
have you checked out krank amps yet, the dimebag darrell ones have some sick distortion on them
Dean Dime-o-flage
Line 6 spider III 30 watt
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
Seymour Duncan Dimebucker
Seymour Duncan Invader
A Peavey Valve King combo (with eventual speaker upgrade) would suit your needs decently, though you MIGHT need a boost or OD pedal. If I were you, I'd just go out and try as many amps as I can. That's what I did, and that''s how I found my Crate. Don't be afraid to look used either!
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
Quote by Amarant
I'm trying to find out first, if I need a tubed amp or not. I have heard that tubed amps are not so good for heavy distortion sounds. Is that correct and I should be looking for standard amps?
Thanks a lot!

Have you ever played through a tube amp? It sounds to me like you haven't. Tube amps produce some of the sweetest distortion known to man and alien. Get thee to a guitar store and play some tube amps.
Quote by KG6_Steven
I'd run away as fast as I could from Bugera. While they're cheap, they're cheap - I mean really cheap, as in so cheap I'd never play one.

With Bugera being relatively new on the market I'm not 100% on the lifetime/reliability and all that, but they do sounds fairly nice. As always though, you pay for what you get
ohai little sig.
And how am I supposed to switch from distortion to clean with one stomp, when playing live?
Quote by Amarant
And how am I supposed to switch from distortion to clean with one stomp, when playing live?

How long have you been playing?
Tube amps do work for metal if you get one made for it. Randall, laney, 5150 etc. But 300 euros or about 600 bucks isnt going to get much of a halfstack. Even then amps like raven, MG etc arent very good for the money. And you will get low quality tube for that price. Save more money or go for a combo.
With a channel switch
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Quote by Amarant

Footswitch.
ohai little sig.
But with 300 euros I can get a standard amp with a decent enough distortion, right?
I have been playing 3 months.
Quote by Demonikk
Footswitch.

But the OD pedal will still be on then, woudn't it :O?
Quote by Amarant
But with 300 euros I can get a standard amp with a decent enough distortion, right?

No, a footswitch will switch between the clean and distorted channels
If you're running an OD in then yes it will still be on, but many amps won't even need one. You can always turn them both off y'know
ohai little sig.
Last edited by Demonikk at Jan 12, 2009,
Okay. You've been playing for 3 months. Buy yourself a practice amp, such as a Peavey Valveking, and start saving for a more serious amp. You're getting way ahead of yourself. Seriously, you've got a few more years before you're going to be considered good enough to hit the stage.
Quote by Amarant

Save more money. You'll thank yourself later.

one extra stomp isn't going to kill you.
But the OD pedal that is on, will remain overdriving the clean channel then, right?
Quote by KG6_Steven
Okay. You've been playing for 3 months. Buy yourself a practice amp, such as a Peavey Valveking, and start saving for a more serious amp. You're getting way ahead of yourself. Seriously, you've got a few more years before you're going to be considered good enough to hit the stage.

I can't play on stage with my practice amp .
Too much gain can cause feedback problems. Amp distortion + stomp distortion = massive gain = potential feedback.
Quote by Amarant
But the OD pedal that is on, will remain overdriving the clean channel then, right?

I can't play on stage with my practice amp .

I understand that. My point is, with only 3 months playing under your belt, your experience level is nowhere near where it needs to be to play in front of, or even behind people. You're going to need at least 3 to 4 years experience. If you buy a cheaper practice amp now, you can save up for a much better gigging amp later. See where I'm coming from, hombre?
Quote by KG6_Steven
Too much gain can cause feedback problems. Amp distortion + stomp distortion = massive gain = potential feedback.

I know that. People are telling on these forums that tube amp + od pedal (not a distortion pedal, lol) = metal.
Quote by Amarant

Ease up turbo, take baby steps.
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
By the time I will need my own amp I will have played for almost a year probably.
You could also use 2 amps. 1 amp is for your clean sound and the other is for your overdrive pedal + amp distortion. Use an A/B/Y selector to go between the 2. Either that, or you have to get really good at tap dancing and hitting 2 pedals at once. You can also do what most touring bands do - use a guy off-stage to switch your effects.
Quote by Amarant
By the time I will need my own amp I will have played for almost a year probably.

If you're ready to gig in another 9 months, I bow to you. You are an amazing prodigy and are much more adept at learning guitar than 99.98% of us. Remember us small folk, when you hit it big.
I don't think I will have money for that money amps. I just need one simple thing that will give me a loud enough metal distortion and clean sound to be over drums.
Thanks!
Quote by KG6_Steven
If you're ready to gig in another 9 months, I bow to you. You are an amazing prodigy and are much more adept at learning guitar than 99.98% of us. Remember us small folk, when you hit it big.

Well, I also had an acoustic guitar 1 year before and a 12stringed guitar for a few months (the acoustic is now sold, though). I'm just a rhythm guitarist with a few solos and we don't make very complex music. You will hear soon -- we just finished recording our fourth song.
Sometimes the best songs are the easy ones. Well, good luck and look forward to seeing your music on the shelves and listening to you on Napster. Do you have anything online now?
http://www.myspace.com/noisebleedest -- only one song, because the others don't like the other ones. I advise you to wait for the new song coming this week.
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=bag+tsg&search_type=&aq=f -- you can see our lives there (there are a few more somewhere, but these are the best).

Anyway, back to the topic. Having dug through the stickies once again, I have found a few nice amps:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/roland_cube_60_modelling_gitarrencombo.htm -- Roland Cube 60;
http://www.thomann.de/gb/peavey_bandit_112_new.htm -- Peavey Bandit.
Could those satisfy my needs?
Quote by Demonikk
No.
1.) You don't need a half stack
2.) A $500 halfstack is going to be absolutely horrible
3.) Raven amps are crap
4.) The Digitech DDM is horrible too

Raven amps sound fine, and if you played one in a store then you probably wouldn't know the full extent of it's tone,the built in gain sucks but with a dist. pedal they sound good
But you are right, you don't need a half stack unless your playing in a big place,because you could just get a two speaker combo
Quote by Amarant
http://www.myspace.com/noisebleedest -- only one song, because the others don't like the other ones. I advise you to wait for the new song coming this week.
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=bag+tsg&search_type=&aq=f -- you can see our lives there (there are a few more somewhere, but these are the best).

Anyway, back to the topic. Having dug through the stickies once again, I have found a few nice amps:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/roland_cube_60_modelling_gitarrencombo.htm -- Roland Cube 60;
http://www.thomann.de/gb/peavey_bandit_112_new.htm -- Peavey Bandit.
Could those satisfy my needs?

Peavey equipment is usually well built. The Roland cubes, while cool to tinker with, are less reliable. I have a micro cube that I've had for ages that's still kicking though...
I have a Micro Cube RX atm and I really like it. I wish it had a footswitch system and like 12 times more wattage .
Thanks!
Page 1 of 2