I'm not too sure, I have done before but with poor quality. By this I mean by using leads. So like plugging a jack into my pc and then the guitar cable of that into my guitar? I did this before, but is there anyway I can do this including my amp? so i can use my pedals?
The way I'm planning on doing it is by using an Mbox, so I can use Pro Tools to record. An mbox is a piece of hardware that you need to use Pro Tools and it has two inputs in the bak so you can record from a mic'd amp, or straight from the guitar, and you could probably use your pedals, plugging your amp into the mbox using a jack would be rather difficult though.
Most you can get plugins for ProTools that will emulate an amp, these plugins are things like Eleven, Amplitube, things like that, which means you could plug your guitar into the Mbox and it would essentially act as an amp for recording practices.
You can buy a crappy computer mic and just stuff it in front of the amp if you want, but that will yield extremely low quality

If you are looking to get high quality guitar recordings, go ahead and get yourself a decent mic (the Shure SM57, as is always recommended), and get a digital interface with recording software.

How about a Presonus Firebox with Cubase LE software? Runs a couple hundred dollars but is great for recording a track or a few and getting good quality out of it.

But if quality ain't an issue then yeah, crappy computer mic in front of that amp is fine.

If you are looking for direct-in then there are adapters you can buy.......I'm not to keen about those things though
My pedal has a headphone output. I run that to the line-in on my PC. If your pedal has a USB port then you can record via that way as well. As for running to your amp, just run out your pedal to your amp like normal.
you can buy one of those converters were you put your guitar in and in the other end its a mic thing, you can put it in your computer in the microphone in and your good to go
Generally, plugging directly into your computer's soundcard will yield very low quality recordings. The most affordable solution is probably to get an audio interface like Line6 toneports or some of the lower end M-audio interfaces. Basically, these interfaces usually come with a usb cable to connect to your computer. You install drivers/software, and then your computer should recognize it as an input device. You basically plug into the interface as if it were an amp, and the interface can generate certain effects/tones in real-time with relatively low latency/delay. If you check my profile, I recorded almost everything on there with my Line6 Toneport DI. Bear in mind, it's not studio quality, but it will be much more satisfying than using an unspecialized computer soundcard's input. Hope this helps!
Last edited by silvadolla at Jan 13, 2009,