Page 1 of 2
i mean if u have great distortion on ur amp already...why would u buy distortion pedals??
also if u have a foot switch u can switch in and out of it
Its for when the distortion on your amp isnt good
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
Quote by ShredGod George
Its for when the distortion on your amp isnt good

ic...so if i already have like 3 distortion pedals... i wouldnt buy an amp with good distortion, id just get one with good clean is that it?
only if you like them
you shouldnt really buy an amp based on existing pedals, since it'l proabaly stay around longer than the pedals
basically
if you have an amp tht'll only do blues-rock, but want to do metal
get a distortion pedal
Quote by guitardude34875
In most cases, distortion pedals are better than the distortion on your amp. Believe it.
Quote by Jaymz2K
Kidding, they hate you and want you to be miserable.

Also, Charmander.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
If I teach myself to cum on command with the word Jackpot... Won't make any bets, but I'll still be a winner.
Quote by Bowe
so wait... does PETA think all gay people are vegans?
Quote by Tabassco
In most cases, distortion pedals are better than the distortion on your amp. Believe it.

Disagree with that. A lot.

Distortions pedals are created to imitate amp distortion. And the imitations rarely end up as good as the original.
Quote by Antimage27
ic...so if i already have like 3 distortion pedals... i wouldnt buy an amp with good distortion, id just get one with good clean is that it?

That's one option.

People also buy distortion pedals when they have a single channel amp. Or when they want a variety of distorted tones. For example, I use a fuzz pedal, an overdrive pedal, and my amp's gain channel. Different situations call for different kinds of distortion.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
I like to use distortion or overdrive pedals in unison to my amp. Just for the extra push and sound.

Usually use my TS-9
Or for extra gain
Running OD even into the high gain channel on my mesa makes it sound a lot better
Quote by Shred Head
You have an atrocious sense of humour!

Quote by StrayCatBlues
You win 100 hilarity points.

Spend them wisely.

Quote by GrisKy
you're a funny, funny man, chimp in a tux... funny indeed.
well...i have a satchurator right now
and im thinking about getting the traynor blue 50
What about the people who run pedals in front of their amps? I personally wouldn't want to put, for example, Delay or Reverb into the front end of my amp and then distort them one the way out. And then there's varying levels and types of distortion. Maybe you have a Marshall Stack and it has a great dirty channel, but what if you want an overdrive? One of the many 'Screamer' pedals might suit that need. What if you want a harder fuzz sound? Then you might want to go with a Big Muff or Fuzz Face. There are many, many reasons to buy distortion stomp boxes.
Quote by Tabassco

Quote by corey3815

Then you probably buy really shit amps.

Just as I thought:
Tabassco, from the looks of your profile, you don't even have a guitar amp.
Corey, you have a Crate V18. End of.
Last edited by Horlicks at Jan 12, 2009,
another question....then why does the boss DS1 sell so well??? its probably the worst distortion pedal ive ever heard
Around here, it's Metalzones. Really really bad pedals. Yet at every local show here, there's at least two Metalzones.

Really really bad distortion sound.

Probably the only distortion pedal I like is the Ibanez SM7 Smash Box.
Last edited by Adarsh at Jan 12, 2009,
Quote by Antimage27
another question....then why does the boss DS1 sell so well??? its probably the worst distortion pedal ive ever heard

Because it's Boss, the ''Industry Standard''.
I'm guessing that 90% of the big artists that use them have them modded.
Either that or it's an acquired taste. I can't stand Fuzz but look how many people use that.
usually to get a different distotion tone without having to have multiple amps
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
I have a valve king 112 from peavey and i still bought a ML-2 boss pedal...A pedal is always handy, even when your amps distortion is great.
Because stealing distortion pedals is against the law.
Quote by Antimage27

Several reasons. Firstly, it's because kurt cobain used one exclusively until he broke it and got a DS-2 instead, secondly it's because newbies always buy boss just because they are boss, and thirdly they might want a colourless, sterile sounding distortion, either because that's how they want to sound, or because they already have a good overdriven tone going from their amp and they just want to add some hard-clipping to it without it re-colouring their tone.

there are many valid reasons for getting a distortion pedal though -

1. If you have a single channel amp with no footswitchable boost option, or an amp with no distortion at all, and you want to switch between clean and distortion, then you have to get a distortion pedal to do it.
2. For practice/lower volume - some amps don't have master volumes and need to be turned up to 11 before they start to distort.
3. You might want to use distortion with an already overdriven tube amp as a boost for solos where an overdrive pedal would create too much of a smooth sound.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Last edited by Blompcube at Jan 12, 2009,
Quote by Antimage27

It's cheap and kids who dont want to save up $80 for a decent dist. grab them up
Quote by guitardude34875
The DS-1 is a decent pedal. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles but it gets the job done. Its perfect for my genre of punk rock.
Quote by Adarsh
Around here, it's Metalzones. Really really bad pedals. Yet at every local show here, there's at least two Metalzones.

I hate my Smash Box .
Fender MIA Stratocaster (with SD Twang Banger)
Epiphone Les Paul Special II
Johnson Acoustic
Palmer FAB5
Quote by ShredGod George
if you have an amp tht'll only do blues-rock, but want to do metal get a distortion pedal

Yup, that's what I ran in to. Went out and got a Fender Hot Rod Deville but then realized that the distortion sucks on it, it can only do growly overdriven blues sounds, so I went and bought a satchurator pedal.
Quote by Tabassco

disagree.

two main reasons, going back to the original question: either the distortion on your amp isn't much good, or you like your amp's distortion but want to be able to get a different style/flavour of distortion for some songs.

going back to whether you should buy the traynor- go and try the amp, and see if its distortion sounds better than your pedals. also try your pedals through the traynor to see how they sound. they may let you get a different sound of which the traynor isn't capable (make it even more versatile, in other words). or you may decide to just dump your pedals...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
if you have some ****y amp, go for a pedal. if you have a nice tube amp, sell the pedal

besides, some guitarists prefer pedal rather than tube distortion ex: satriani uses a ds-1 (mod of course)
Ivan!

Proghead+Metalhead= ME

||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

URL=http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ar gentina
Quote by ivan_2894
if you have some ****y amp, go for a pedal. if you have a nice tube amp, sell the pedal

besides, some guitarists prefer pedal rather than tube distortion ex: satriani uses a ds-1 (mod of course)

no, because the pedal could still be useful, as a boost or into the clean channel for some more versatility - different flavours of distortion perhaps?
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
I have my TS9 because I don't fancy cranking my amp to get OD.

I have my Big Muff because a low-gain US-voiced Class-AB tube amp doesn't have fuzz.

I intend to buy a Metal Muff because a low-gain US-voiced Class-AB tube amp doesn't have anything for metal without something like a Metal Muff.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
to have different kinds of gain/drive/dirt/distortion for different types of playing/sounds you want...and cause not all amps have good crunch channels. actually LOTS of amps have crappy overdrive channels...wow i just found like 7 words for distortion
Quote by Adarsh

I perfer the Metal Zone to all the other Boss distortions.

edit: wait ****, I use a Metal Core
Last edited by Nilpferdkoenig at Jan 14, 2009,
Why don't people use proper English instead of using single letters and numbers?
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
All Boss distortion pedals are piles of garbage imo. The BD-2 is ok, but i would just go with a ts9 then. The only time Boss is good is if you buy from Keeley, then they take a turn and just become pretty epic pedals
Quote by Antimage27

The DS-1 is totally transparent and will respond to your playing very well when used thru a tube amp.

Like all good OD/Dist pedals, it boosts out the harmonic overtones of your amp without adding any color.
Quote by chimpinatux
Or for extra gain
Running OD even into the high gain channel on my mesa makes it sound a lot better

+1

Versatility and open mindedness never killed anyone.
...With amplifiction atleast.

Im grabing a Fuzz soon and maybe even an OD.
Quote by thsrayas
Why don't people use proper English instead of using single letters and numbers?

y shud we?
Please don't assume I care enough about your guitar rig, your general thoughts on life, the funny things people have said about you, or anything else not related to the topic at hand to have the view signatures option turned on. I don't.
Aww, I thought we where gonna be hating on distortion. Overdrive rules! Necrosis, ditto for me, I hate cranking my amp, it's too loud.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Last edited by lespaul#1 at Jan 14, 2009,
Quote by BeerChurch
The DS-1 is totally transparent and will respond to your playing very well when used thru a tube amp.

Like all good OD/Dist pedals, it boosts out the harmonic overtones of your amp without adding any color.

the ds1 is totally transparent?

o_O
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I want a swollen Pickle for my new JSX. I Love the clear, tight distortion on the amp, but I like some good ole fuzz for the retro stuff....

Just like some said before...it helps a single amp bridge the gap between tastey Blues and More modern high-gain nu...stuff...
Page 1 of 2