Poll: is bass the first instrument you learned to play?
Poll Options
View poll results: is bass the first instrument you learned to play?
of course yes.
79 48%
of course not.
87 52%
Voters: 166.
Page 1 of 2
i learned that if there is a musician who plays a lot of instruments, they choose bass as the main one- like Flea. there are also bassists who love bass from the beginning and they never thought of anything else- like Timmy C.

which of them are you?
I started on Trumpet and Acoustic Guitar, but never took either very seriously. The Bass was the first instrument I took seriously and I've since picked up Guitar, so it kinda is
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
I started on drums, then took up bass, then guitar, then I stopped on drums, then I took up Banjo, then Ukelele and I played the steel pan in a school band.
I started bass first, after being told I "suited that bass" when I was about 13.
I then dabbled in guitar for a while, but I'm still a bass man!

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
I did some bugle and percussion (read: crash cymbals and bass drum) in a marching band, had a little electric drum kit I didn't do much with, and tried out guitar before I started bass, but I'd say this is the first instrument I've played independently and seriously.
Schecter Hellraiser V1 / Schecter Stiletto Extreme 4 / Gallien Krueger 400RB / Hartke Transporter 4x10 / Digitech BP200 / Pod Studio GX
I had been playing guitar for about 2 years before i even looked at basses, or listened to them for that matter. But now i can't listen to music if the bass is inaudible, it pisses me off.
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
Quote by p o e
I had been playing guitar for about 2 years before i even looked at basses, or listened to them for that matter. But now i can't listen to music if the bass is inaudible, it pisses me off.

i know what you mean. you see, in my band we have this conflict because my guitarist likes the music when bass is inaudible, like most metal, and for me the guitar should play less, like in most funk.
recorder, flute, bits of piano throughout, fiddling about on my mums old acoustic, bass
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
Quote by Wojtus
i know what you mean. you see, in my band we have this conflict because my guitarist likes the music when bass is inaudible, like most metal, and for me the guitar should play less, like in most funk.

I hate the attitude your guitarist has, in my last band my guitarist was very conciencious and always insisted the bass should be heard, guess I was lucky in that way.
I played flute for years, for a while I played both, and then I dropped flute two years ago. Never been happier.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Ive been playing trumpet for 7 nearly 8 yeares and still am, i took up drums arounf 5 years ago, and bass 4 years ago, i still play all three instruments alot.

I play trumpet in Orchestra(1st trumpet, YES)
I play bass in bands
I play drums for pleasure and jamming.
I also dabble in bits of piano, keyboard stuff.

So bass isnt the only one and i dont think it will ever be, but its the one i spend most money on.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
bass first.

I kinda tried trombone, drums, guitar, but it didn't fit me. I was too lazy to learn chords at the age of 7, too loud for my mother when it came to drumming, and quite annoyingly bad at trombone due to a history of asthma.

when I played bass, I was in a different mindset, having had convinced myself as opposed to convinced by other people.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Yes, ish. I played piano and stuff as a kid but I don't really count that on account of being crappy at it.
I played trumpet for my music class for four years(I was in band as well, etc), having joined up with the school Jazz band in my fourth. The bassist in the group is part of the reason why I decided to pick up a bass of my own in the summer following my decision to quit band(The conductor was incredibly difficult to get along with).

I fiddled around with guitar here and there as well, but never for extended periods of time. The strings were not very friendly to my hands.
Hi.
Last edited by David12390 at Jan 12, 2009,
Quote by the humanity
bass first.

I kinda tried trombone, drums, guitar, but it didn't fit me. I was too lazy to learn chords at the age of 7, too loud for my mother when it came to drumming, and quite annoyingly bad at trombone due to a history of asthma.

when I played bass, I was in a different mindset, having had convinced myself as opposed to convinced by other people.

I took guitar lessons when I was 7 too, didn't understand chords or care to learn chords lol. Played trumpet all through school. Played drums in jazz band.

I felt and feel no pressure with bass. Picked it up on my own and I'm learning on my own terms. I'm not really a fan of being told what to do.
Quote by Miss G
I took guitar lessons when I was 7 too, didn't understand chords or care to learn chords lol. Played trumpet all through school. Played drums in jazz band.

I felt and feel no pressure with bass. Picked it up on my own and I'm learning on my own terms. I'm not really a fan of being told what to do.

oh my!

we are exactly the same!

how did you end up with that unhealthy obsession with sounding like Flea?
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
oh my!

we are exactly the same!

how did you end up with that unhealthy obsession with sounding like Flea?

I watched the Power Rangers movie 390328402384 times when I was little, it opens with "Higher Ground". I blame that.
Quote by Miss G
I watched the Power Rangers movie 390328402384 times when I was little, it opens with "Higher Ground". I blame that.

my tv never worked...

static=liking fuzz?

fitzy's momma should have used the electric can opener less often...
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

I started out playing autoharp and then acoustic guitar. I then learned dulcimer and mandolin. Took piano for a year and still play keyboards badly. Played all sorts of recorders including bass recorder. Picked up electric guitar. From 3rd grade on, played clarinet. In HS, I added tenor/alto sax and oboe (which I also play very badly). I can play flute and fife passably.

[edit] Forgot to add I play uke as well.

Got a bass for a Christmas present 16 years ago and started to play seriously 3 years ago. And now I'm learning drums.

So in a nutshell, it wasn't my first but its definitely my favourite so far.
I put yes then realised I used to play trombone *facedesk*

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Quote by Jonnomainman
I put yes then realised I used to play trombone *facedesk*

trombone isn't an instrument, it's a tool for communicating with pelicans.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

I wouldn't consider bass my first instrument. I'd say singing is my better instrument, although I have off and on days with it. Still, I can see a future with my voice, not with my bass.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
I play alto sax first for a few years, then guitar and bass about two years ago.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I started playing bass 2 years ago, and I haven't really found the time or money to try anything else, so yeah bass is my first instrument.
Quote by the humanity
trombone isn't an instrument, it's a tool for communicating with pelicans.

A couple of years ago, the lead trombonist was givin a solo, it was him and percussion playing.

What do you do when the orchestra and audiance laugh their heads off at the poor fella', it was just so.... um......... eh(no word to desacribe it.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Trumpet before High School (I was "1st" if that means anything at a younger age. I quit because it wasn't fun and the director wasn't very nice). I played a wee bit of guitar in the beginning of HS, but couldn't afford one. I did find a cheap bass however, so I started to learn (and like a few in here, did that whole transformation where you hear the bass now, etc.)
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
God no.

Piano 8-10
Cello 10-11 (only because my new school didn't offer cello for fifth graders.)
Guitar 12-Present (five years)
Bass 15-Present (Two years)

But I like bass the most. Guitar was fun but too many people play it, I'm glad I got forced into it. Plus just coming up with an amazing bass riff is better than coming up with one on guitar.
Gear:1991 Fender MIJ Jazz/Squier VM Fretless Jazz -> Pitchblack -> Way Huge Green Rhino -> Boss OC-2 -> Boss DD-7 -> Markbass Tube 800 -> SWR 4x12.

Flat wounds. Flat wounds on everything. Everything is a little fatter when it's flatter.
i started playing guitar when i was 7 and dabbled in violin a little cause we had one laying around and soon as i had saved the xmas and bday money i bought a bass when i was 12 and it took over as my main obsession but shortly after i joined to school band as a drummer so i could learn drums without buying a kit. Then i started playing piano a bit just so i could but in the end bass is my true love
Keep On Keepen' On
I stuffed around on a cheap acoustic for about a year before picking up bass. That was 3 and a bit years ago now.
Before that I did some recorder in primary school (who didn't?) and had a crack at some keyboards but neither of those really count.
I've been playing clarinet for 9 years now, and I think it's only been 6 or 7 years that I've been playing the bass.
Quote by Yerjam
Could be, but the most important thing to remember is that it wasn't your fault, even if it was.
Oh no, this is:
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
Last edited by TooFast at Jan 12, 2009,
Bass was my first serious intrument. I played saxophone in elementary through high school band and I kinda started playing guitar a few years before I got my bass but was never very serious. I bought my bass 2 years ago and was immediately in love. I have now become serious on guitar as well and am working on piano (and coming back to saxophone every once in a while).
nope. played trombone first for school band. still do. so that for about 5 years
played baritone cause my teacher taught me all the notes cause it was in beginning band and she treat us all likke where slow and also my dad had one. so that also for about 5 years.
then bass cause freinds needed bass player for a band. about 2 years.
guitar as well just cause so 3 years. played a crappy guitar as a bass first but i played it as a bass.
drums. 20 something days. got it for Christmas.
piano doodliling since i was little and im not sure if you can count that. so 5 instruments and 6 if you count piano.
blemonese of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
Quote by camhussynec
Its like getting anal for the first time. It hurts like hell but eventully ull get used to it and itll feel fine

Thanks for nothing
Piano. Then Acoustic. Now bass. 7 years of instrumental tuition xD

Piano is the best so far, just because it's so versatile. And I've played it the longest.
Bass is pretty kewel though xD
And I'll whip out the ole steel string every now and then to play a bit of classical. Don't get lessons for it anymore though.
Page 1 of 2