Not lookin' to shred after 3months of practice/playing.
I DO practice and continue to practice..

?: I notice that while I'm focusing on ONLY increasing pick speed (this is due to quite a few songs have a quick double hit on the low E (pm'ed)), that the more I pay attention to it THE WORSE I GET!

I find myself continuously shifting my hand around, wrist, method of holding the pick, etc... because nothing feels like 'the spot'. Hope that makes sense.

I also notice that I have to keep relaxing everything. I get knots behind my shoulder blade, and just keep finding new muscles that are tensed when I'm picking.
One buddy of mine told me: You will only get faster once you learn to relax. So I've been trying... but I wanted to ask

When I pick I keep my arm still, forearm locked at elbow and ONLY use my wrist and hand to pick up and down. Is this the 'best way' to practice?

Cause if I seem to also allow my forearm to move a little bit it speeds me way up quickly...but I was avoiding this thinking it might not be the most efficent method.

Thanks for any experience/advice ya masters can provide.

Again.... I already practice. So if that's the answer, please just skip replying cause I'm already doing it.

Moving your forearm a little bit should be fine. What you want to avoid doing is using your forearm only, which you definitely don't seem to be doing.

As for the sweet spot, it'll come with time. Just try to use one position and stick to it. It'll become comfortable after you use it long enough.

For practicing, I would suggest you slow everything down and gradually speed up. Be self-aware of tension. Once you hit a certain speed where you start getting tense, stop. Go slower once again and repeat the process. This should help you to develop the good habit of being loose and relaxed.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Quote by Slapknot
Not lookin' to shred after 3months of practice/playing.
I DO practice and continue to practice..

?: I notice that while I'm focusing on ONLY increasing pick speed (this is due to quite a few songs have a quick double hit on the low E (pm'ed)), that the more I pay attention to it THE WORSE I GET!

That's the root of all your problems right there - stop trying to go faster, it doesn't work. Speed is not a skill, it's simply a refelction of them - there's certain things you need to be able to good at to be able to play fast. Therefore you won't be able to go any faster until you realise what those things are and work specifically on them. You need to work on accuracy, timing, synchronising both hands, dexterity, finger indpendence...stuff like that. Those are all things you have direct control over, you can work on them and improve them - you can't work on "speed", and trying to will just result in failure because ultimately you're trying to improve something that doesn't actually exist.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Thanks Cap and SS for your experience.

I hate even asking because it seems like only a question a n00b would ask....

It's reassuring to know I'm in 'reality' with it as well as on the 'right track' with my focus!