I sweat a lot when i play, and i mean a lot.
i also use body lotion on my hands sometimes because i have very dry skin. it does make the skin kinda greasy.

will any of these two hurt my neck in some way over time ?

thanks
Last edited by The red Strat. at Jan 12, 2009,
Quote by The red Strat.
i also use body lotion on my hands sometimes because i have very dry skin. it does leave a slighty greasy rest on the skin.

thanks

What neck is it? Rosewood, maple?
Have you tried eliminating the source of the sweating? IE, are you overweight, under-exercised?

Sorry, enough jack@ss from me. I really don't think it will harm your guitar, but it definitely will give it a used look over time. The wood might start changing color.
Quote by DEATHPANDA
What neck is it? Rosewood, maple?

rosewood fretboard, maple neck. it's a strat.

Quote by GuitarDTO
Have you tried eliminating the source of the sweating? IE, are you overweight, under-exercised?

Sorry, enough jack@ss from me. I really don't think it will harm your guitar, but it definitely will give it a used look over time. The wood might start changing color.

i think it's just genetic. my dad sweats a lot too. i'm not overweight at all, and i guess because of that i'm not really under-exercised either.
Last edited by The red Strat. at Jan 12, 2009,
Quote by The red Strat.
rosewood fretboard, maple neck. it's a strat.

i think it's just genetic. my dad sweats a lot too. i'm not overweight at all, and i guess because of that i'm not really under-exercised either.

Maple necks stain, excessive sweating is sure to leave some patches over time... I would get it laquered or something. I also sweat quiet a lot and on my laquered neck I find it easier to play and the sweat just comes right off.
Quote by DEATHPANDA
Maple necks stain, excessive sweating is sure to leave some patches over time... I would get it laquered or something. I also sweat quiet a lot and on my laquered neck I find it easier to play and the sweat just comes right off.

aren't all maple necks laquered ?
Quote by The red Strat.
aren't all maple necks laquered ?

I'm not sure actually, I've played like 2 maple necks and both of them weren't laquered. They probably were I just didn't notice. If it is laquered though that answers your question, sweating wont fu*k up the neck.
Honestly though, maple neck guitars with dark spots look awesome/used. Look at Eric Johnson's strat, that thing looks like its been around the block. I really wouldnt worry about this.
Quote by DEATHPANDA
I'm not sure actually, I've played like 2 maple necks and both of them weren't laquered. They probably were I just didn't notice. If it is laquered though that answers your question, sweating wont fu*k up the neck.

it's more the rosewood that concerns me actually.

Quote by GuitarDTO
Honestly though, maple neck guitars with dark spots look awesome/used. Look at Eric Johnson's strat, that thing looks like its been around the block. I really wouldnt worry about this.

yeah, but EJ's strat has a laquered maple fretboard, mine has a rosewood fretboard...
it wont hurt the rosewood
My Gear :
LTD Fx400
Ibanez S470dxqm w/Tone Zone
Buz Mcgrath's S7320 w/ emg 707s
Boss Gt-8
EHX Metal Muff with top boost for sale!
Crate V32 palomino for sale !
it shouldnt damage your guitar. if you see any signs of ware, get some wood care products, like the ernie ball ones, and give your neck a good going over with the strings off.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

If your guitar has a thin nitro finish (Gibsons, Fender Custom Shop, some higher-end ESPs and so on) then excess sweating might wear down the finish on the back of the neck a little quicker. Those kinds of finish are pretty much made to be worn down though so it's not 'damage' per se.

If you have a guitar with a thick poly-based finish (90% of guitars) then it won't do the damndest bit of difference.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
As long as there is a finish on the neck you should be fine. If it's a semipermanent finish (Tung Oil, Tru Oil, Linseed) it wouldn't be a problem as long as you keep up the finish. If it's unfinished then it could cause harm in the longrun. As far as the fretboard... It wouldn't affect it much, other than getting dirty quicker
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Quote by The red Strat.
i also use body lotion on my hands sometimes because i have very dry skin. it does make the skin kinda greasy.

thanks

Be careful with the Jergens. I play with dry hands because I don't want to risk fugging things up.
Nah it doesn't have any real affect on your neck. Does a real number on your strings though.
Use the SHAMWOW!!!

Srsly tho.
Either every time you change strings, or every other time, clean your fretboard with some cleaning agent and a microfiber cloth. Sweating won't hurt it unless you do it constantly for like 6 months. Cleaning it will increase its longetivity.
G&L Tribute S-500 -> Ernie Ball VP -> Boss SD-1 -> Fulltone OCD -> Small Stone Phaser -> Danelectro Cool Cat Tremolo -> Boss DD-3 -> Boss RE-20 -> TC Electronic Hall of Reverb -> Boss RC-2 -------> Modded Crate v18 Amp

www.wearewerebear.com
my ibanez maple neck and fretboard isn't laquered
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by Greenwood991
Use the SHAMWOW!!!

yes this keep that 40 year old who wishes he was still 19 in business *slap* call in 20 minutes and i will give u a kick swift to the genitalia that u deserve...

there's always something if there wasn't ur would eventually get ratty and splintered and sweat would be neck murder. just every time u change strings give it a good wipe down fretboard and neck and maybe get some fretboard cleaner or something like that
Keep On Keepen' On
Quote by Chorduroy
Be careful with the Jergens. I play with dry hands because I don't want to risk fugging things up.

do you reckon it could do damage ?
i don't think it will damage your neck as such, maybe colour parts of it, but that really adds a nice character to a guitar (to see that it's been used).

but the guy who said it does a number on your strings is kinda right. I sweat a fair bit from my hands when i play technical stuff for extended periods, and my strings get worn very quickly. Playing 2-5 hrs a day, i cannot go by even 4 weeks without a string change. More like 2-3. I wipe down each string individually with an old but clean tshirt, and it helps the strings retain the 'new' feeling, but probably actually makes me more picky and change them more often lol but i'm sure we can all agree that new strings feel fantastic

and your rosewood board...i find that mine gets a touch lighter in the parts that i play, and you can see the dark parts of the board on the lower strings, and then it suddenly goes lighter on the parts i play... i might just be pressing too hard or using too much f/board conditioner (has a darkening effect), but that's how it looks to me. but oddly enough, it happens on my 2 rosewood f/board guitars and not my guitar with the ebony f/board. Anyone else find anything like this?
Last edited by yenners at Jan 21, 2009,
Quote by Greenwood991
Use the SHAMWOW!!!.

i think we just found our new meme
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
Quote by yenners
i don't think it will damage your neck as such, maybe colour parts of it, but that really adds a nice character to a guitar (to see that it's been used).

but the guy who said it does a number on your strings is kinda right. I sweat a fair bit from my hands when i play technical stuff for extended periods, and my strings get worn very quickly. Playing 2-5 hrs a day, i cannot go by even 4 weeks without a string change. More like 2-3. I wipe down each string individually with an old but clean tshirt, and it helps the strings retain the 'new' feeling, but probably actually makes me more picky and change them more often lol but i'm sure we can all agree that new strings feel fantastic

and your rosewood board...i find that mine gets a touch lighter in the parts that i play, and you can see the dark parts of the board on the lower strings, and then it suddenly goes lighter on the parts i play... i might just be pressing too hard or using too much f/board conditioner (has a darkening effect), but that's how it looks to me. but oddly enough, it happens on my 2 rosewood f/board guitars and not my guitar with the ebony f/board. Anyone else find anything like this?

thanks mate !
I used to wipe my strat down with a cloth but stopped doing it so much, might help you?

Haven't read thread that well, so sorry if it's been suggested!
LET THE THREAD DIE!!! thank you.
My Gear :
LTD Fx400
Ibanez S470dxqm w/Tone Zone
Buz Mcgrath's S7320 w/ emg 707s
Boss Gt-8
EHX Metal Muff with top boost for sale!
Crate V32 palomino for sale !
use this for the wood it does wonders. I have been a custom woodworker for 15 years and i swear by this. this is the only thing i will use on the wood of my guitars.

for the metal i use this mothers polish

(Invalid img)
Last edited by DimeLvR at Jan 24, 2009,
Quote by DimeLvR
use this for the wood it does wonders. I have been a custom woodworker for 15 years and i swear by this. this is the only thing i will use on the wood of my guitars.

for the metal i use this mothers polish

(Invalid img)

are you serious ?

isn't that one of those supermarket wood sprays ?