Page 1 of 2
...hi

i think i've gotten worse
i think the reason for this is that i dont learn any songs like i want to but when it comes to learning it i just.......give up, and turn to making some riffs
i think ive also gotten worse as a ..... songwriter kinda thing aswell.
i think ive been playing for around a year

i made this in april - http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/padgea7x/skills/398055/

i've made a few things recently but havnt recorded them so i'll put something else up
a solo i made roughly a mont or two ago - http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/padgea7x/music/all/play480330 and two riffs i made roughly four months ago
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/padgea7x/music/all/play461882
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/padgea7x/music/all/play461885

im extremely lazy at guitar
any advice on how to get...umm better apart from practise or like what to practise?
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
patience my brother. and determination.

COMEDY! PROGRESSIVE! PUNK!

Quote by darkrikku

MY SETUP
ESP Ltd. F-100FM
DiMarzio PAF Pro DP151
John Pearse #2500 Strings
Crate GTX65
Behringer Ultrastack BG412H
Quote by padgea7x

any advice on how to get...umm better apart from practise or like what to practise?

Not sure whether to laugh or cry.

Have you tried osmosis? When you go to bed at night, lay the guitar on the pillow next to you. Make sure your head is touching some part of the guitar. Obviously, it's better if your head touches the body of the guitar, since there's more mass involved. If you send me $19.95, I guarantee that this method will improve your playing and impress your friends in 1 hour.

The fine print: It may take longer than an hour and you may actually have to practice your guitar at least that much every day. Sleeping with your guitar is certainly better than sleeping with a stuffed animal. While people won't necesarily laugh at you for doing so, it will not help with your playing skills.
Quote by padgea7x
...hi

i think i've gotten worse
i think the reason for this is that i dont learn any songs like i want to but when it comes to learning it i just.......give up, and turn to making some riffs
i think ive also gotten worse as a ..... songwriter kinda thing aswell.
i think ive been playing for around a year

i made this in april - http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/padgea7x/skills/398055/

i've made a few things recently but havnt recorded them so i'll put something else up
a solo i made roughly a mont or two ago - http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/padgea7x/music/all/play480330 and two riffs i made roughly four months ago
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/padgea7x/music/all/play461882
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/padgea7x/music/all/play461885

Stop being lazy - if you don't make an effort then yes you will get worse.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Seriously, have you considered lessons? If you can afford them, they're the best method of learning for most people. A professional instructor can really help you learn and you're generally motivated to study for your weekly lesson.
Quote by KG6_Steven
Not sure whether to laugh or cry.

Have you tried osmosis? When you go to bed at night, lay the guitar on the pillow next to you. Make sure your head is touching some part of the guitar. Obviously, it's better if your head touches the body of the guitar, since there's more mass involved. If you send me $19.95, I guarantee that this method will improve your playing and impress your friends in 1 hour.

The fine print: It may take longer than an hour and you may actually have to practice your guitar at least that much every day. Sleeping with your guitar is certainly better than sleeping with a stuffed animal. While people won't necesarily laugh at you for doing so, it will not help with your playing skills.

theres not enough room for my guitar in my bed (maybe ill sleep on the flooor)
.......i'll try it
but i cant grant you with $19.95 im sorry

and i had lessons they taught me everything i knew
and when i told him that i wanted some stuff to challenge me.........he said no and give me the 12 bar blues

Last edited by padgea7x at Jan 12, 2009,
Quote by padgea7x
theres not enough room for my guitar in my bed (maybe ill sleep on the flooor)
.......i'll try it
but i cant grant you with $19.95 im sorry

and i had lessons they taught me everything i knew
and when i told him that i wanted some stuff to challenge me.........he said no and give me the 12 bar blues

You know what happened? By the sound of it, you don't practice, and probably just **** about on the guitar. My advice would be as follows:

If you can't be bothered to sit down with it, you don't love it.
If you don't love it, give it up.
Quote by Ikonoklast
You know what happened? By the sound of it, you don't practice, and probably just **** about on the guitar. My advice would be as follows:

i do practise a few hours a day :P
i can be bothered
but i dont seem to be getting better
i love my guitar.....s
i will not give up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

see this is why i dont like newbs

Last edited by padgea7x at Jan 12, 2009,
Quote by padgea7x
i can be bothered
i love my guitar.....s

I've been playing 8 years....who you calling a newb?
Quote by padgea7x

decide if you really like playing the guitar. If you do like it.... keep doing it .... have fun... and don't take yourself too seriously or be overly critical. Listen, learn, practice, play..... allow yourself the chance to develop as a guitar player/ musician. It takes time.

If you decide you don't like it enough to stop being lazy about it......... Go find something that motivates you more.

Quote by Ikonoklast

^Right on
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jan 12, 2009,
Quote by GuitarMunky
decide if you really like playing the guitar. If you do like it.... keep doing it .... have fun... and don't take yourself too seriously or be overly critical.

If you decide you don't like it enough to stop being lazy about it......... Go find something that motivates you more.

+1.

Was pretty much what i was saying.
Quote by padgea7x
i can be bothered
i love my guitar.....s

You've already given up, and I smell bull**** about your practice routine. If you were really practicing 2 hours a day you would be getting better. I practice for less than an hour every day and I'm still getting better.

I don't think you love guitar, you just love the idea of being good on guitar. DISCLAIMER: I don't think it's going to happen for you.
so...........then....i enjoy playing but i cant get motivated cz all the songs i wanna play are too hard............or i think they are
and i prefer the old a7x stuff..........

i dont love the idea of being good...i LOVE my guitar....i just cant show it....unless...i practise my fingering...........

what exercises should i do?

and does anyone think i was better before?

Ikonoklast - by newb i meant on the site...not your playing time thing

^ The only "get good at A7x music exercise" I know of is one that involves learning and practicing A7x music. If you're not ready for that, find something easier. There is lot's of great music out there. Find something thats doable for you now, and let yourself develop from there.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jan 13, 2009,
Quote by GuitarMunky
^ Play stuff you can handle now. The only "get good at A7x music exercise" I know of is one that involves learning A7x music. If you're not ready for that, find something easier. Or at least start with some of their easier riffs.

i could start with their first album stuff....apart from to end the rapture

i've been playin around a year
and i can; tap,hammer on/pull off, pinchys (the one on my profile is crap ive improved on that),poor sweeps, bends nad alot more stuff....

would you suggest any other songs...?

long story short you have to practice a lot. the fact that you've only been playing a year reinforces that you haven't been playing very long. in your first post you state that you're "extremely lazy at guitar" well, i think we've found your problem. for the first couple years of playing i'd literally go home and play guitar for hours and hours, usually until it was bedtime (so anywhere from 3-8 hours) i think the obvious answer is practice more. just work on it and in 6 months record yourself playing. you'll probably hear improvement, if you don't then just keep practicing. everyone learns at different speeds.
Quote by z4twenny
long story short you have to practice a lot. the fact that you've only been playing a year reinforces that you haven't been playing very long. in your first post you state that you're "extremely lazy at guitar" well, i think we've found your problem. for the first couple years of playing i'd literally go home and play guitar for hours and hours, usually until it was bedtime (so anywhere from 3-8 hours) i think the obvious answer is practice more. just work on it and in 6 months record yourself playing. you'll probably hear improvement, if you don't then just keep practicing. everyone learns at different speeds.

thanks............i'll try and practise for hours and hours
but thats hard cz i have to do housework nad walk the dogs and i dont get crap for it
but i'll try

then stay up a bit later or wake up a bit earlier to play ur guitar-if you really love it and want to get better that shouldnt be much of a problem.
as people have said its all got to do with practicing and how you pradctice, if u practice **** for an hour a day then u will get good at playing ****. so practice often and effectivly
Quote by padgea7x
i could start with their first album stuff....apart from to end the rapture

i've been playin around a year
and i can; tap,hammer on/pull off, pinchys (the one on my profile is crap ive improved on that),poor sweeps, bends nad alot more stuff....

would you suggest any other songs...?

The only thing that matters is whether or not you can play music on your guitar. Those techniques are fine.... but on there own are meaningless. Also 1 year is a very short time to be playing guitar. The guys from A7x were playing many years before recording there 1st album.

Focus on music. Don't look at the guitar as something to get "achievements on" like you would with your Xbox. Like.... " I can tap... check..... I can seep pick.... check..... I can play 10 nps.... check..."

Learn music... enjoy playing it. You'll be working on technique every time you play a song.

As far as what songs.... thats up to you. You're the one that needs to be motivated enough to work on them.

I hope your open minded enough to learn songs from other bands. Maybe some music that isn't as technical.

bottom line: sit down and play your guitar as much as you are motivated to. if you find yourself unable to do that for lack of desire, or the lack of sense to work on something realistic for your skill level. ..... find something else to do.
shred is gaudy music
maybe ur trying to learn songs thats to hard for you to play. when i frist started after a few years all those tabs had so many notes and it would get complacated to read..but over time after you get better it gets easyer.

also it sounds to me that your left had techniques need some work. but off course uv only been playing a year.. learn some black sabbath tunes..take all the easy slower songs and jam to them learn by ear as well..this should help your choosing of notes a great deal..so it doesnt sound like your just playin up down scales over and over..

i had the easyest time jaming to black sabbath tunes cuz they are so easy to hear..and just playing along with songs starting out slow really improved how i play leads and stuff.

and yea what he said ^..a7x is hard stuff for a beginner..learning the chormatic scale wouldnt be a bad idea synister gates plays that alot..dont try to play it so fast tho
If your lazy at guitar, then you probably don't want to play it, so give up.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Quote by Ikonoklast

There's nothing wrong with being a hobbyist.
I don't love playing drums, I like it though. Are you saying I should give up all my drumming endeavors?

Oh, I understand know. You're just one of those guys who thinks his crap doesn't stink because he's a musician. Douchebag. Music is not about elitism, and if you truly do love music you'd never tell someone to give up on it.
Ikonoklast - by newb i meant on the site...not your playing time thing

Okay.

Well i'd suggest :

A) My playing skills are much more advanced than yours.
B) I've frequented this site for years, but haven't made a profile until now.
C) You're here asking for help right? So..

Don't try to put people who could be helping you down, with snidey comments like 'NOOB'.

My advice on the subject is thus:

Forget learning new things. Try to play what you already know cleanly, because no offence dude but you're hella sloppy.

I don't love playing drums, I like it though. Are you saying I should give up all my drumming endeavors?

No, but his original question was 'how can i get better without practicing. Get better.
Which suggests it's not just a hobby, he actually wants to learn a craft.

Oh, I understand know. You're just one of those guys who thinks his crap doesn't stink because he's a musician. Douchebag. Music is not about elitism, and if you truly do love music you'd never tell someone to give up on it.

Well, this is the 'Musician Talk' forum.

And don't call me a douchebag. Next time try not to throw a hissy fit when sticking up for your girlfriend. I had an opinion, if you don't agree, say so. Don't attack me for it.
Quote by JakdOnCrack

of-course not. But there is something wrong about complaining about not get better and at the same time admitting your too lazy to work on it.

Be a hobbiest. Enjoy being a hobbiest. Don't complain about it and expect others to be able to change for you what you are unwilling to change for yourself.

Quote by JakdOnCrack

He gave good, honest advice. and he didn't call anyone a douchebag.

The same can't be said for you in this case.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by GuitarMunky
of-course not. But there is something wrong about complaining about not get better and at the same time admitting your too lazy to work on it.

Be hobbiest. Enjoy being a hobbiest. Don't complain about it and expect others to be able to change for you what you are unwilling to change for yourself.

He gave good, honest advice. and he didn't call anyone a douchebag.

The same can't be said for you in this case.

+1

basically practice more, im not saying the TS has to practice 8 hours a day like i did but if he wants to get better he needs to practice. i honestly suggest lessons but he might not be able to afford it.
alot of people are self tought anyway...heres what i think you should do..

search youtube..and UG lessons..

focus on every aspect of your playing..get all your techniques correct..play slow.

you learn cool riffs just from learning excersises on UG's lessons alone. any other questions about your technique you can go to the subform "avanced technique".

your just down because your not improving. your not improving because your just jumping in. slowing and staying relaxed will help a great deal. everyone gets down about there playing its normal.

and my goodness its turned into a brawl in here haha
Quote by Ikonoklast

Don't try to put people who could be helping you down, with snidey comments like 'NOOB'.
And don't call me a douchebag. Next time try not to throw a hissy fit when sticking up for your girlfriend. I had an opinion, if you don't agree, say so. Don't attack me for it.

your not very nice :P: i said newb not noob.at least i cant remember
i know im sloppy
my friends have now told me i have very low confidence :P:
so umm thanks for your help.........ooh i dont have a girlfriend or boyfriend so hahahaha...wait thats bad

Quote by JakdOnCrack

If you truly love something, you gotta work for it.

Life isn't a big romance. The real world is not manufactured like MTV or movies.

He has to work for his skills, and if he's a hobbyist he shouldn't complain of not improving, that's ignorant.

That's me saying; I like running up and down the street, but I can't compete in the olympics; help me please (besides telling me to practice).

Satriani wrote his first album 14 years after he picked up the guitar. And this guy complains he's not god guitarplayer in 1 year. and doesn't want to practice.

I swear people are so friggin' spoiled these days.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jan 14, 2009,
Try expanding to different bands and songs. You can't win a marathon without learning to walk. Get the basics and quit worrying about sweep picking and the like. If you like a certain band or style well that's great..... but again if you don't start with what's in your ability it will all seem to hard. Keep listening to your favorite bands and paying attention to what tey are doing guitar wise and keep it in the back of your head. diifercify a bit and learn things that'll lead you where you want to go.

You have only been playing a year, you got a lifetime...............
Quote by dubstar92
A few years a ago, I played with it alot and got my time down to 42 secs. Right now, I'm probably around a 55 sec average.
Last edited by geeve420 at Jan 14, 2009,
Quote by xxdarrenxx
If you truly love something, you gotta work for it.

if you truly love something, you'll WANT to work on it. I mean.... you LOVE it.

the question is (to the TS).... do you love the idea of being great at guitar, or do you love the act of playing the guitar.
shred is gaudy music
Hmmm... padge... I'd recommend practice but not what you're listening to. Crawl before you run, thats the only logic to it. By all means continue listening to what you are as it fuels you to play, but attempt something less daunting.

Start slowly, get a metronome or use guitar pro (though i have found that guitar pro's metronome sorta sticks at times). Power tab can also be used and is at least free. With whatever money you can get, scour music shops till you find some with old guitar magazines, especially old Guitar Player mags, and buy em. I couldn't afford lessons and those mags helped me a hell of a lot in playing. They opened many musical avenues to explore too.

Lessons don't have to cost anything at all, like going to a guitar shop and checking out whichever guy is on guitar at the time and chat to him/her. Most good musicians part with knowledge easily and thats a great resource. Another is to listen to other music, especially that which influenced your heroes as such. See if you can spot in their music that which spawned your favourite guitarist's sound or licks.

Practicing licks and songs is ok, but it only goes so far. You have to dig deep and start at the beginning. I know that sounds crap, but once you have your basics down, the rest comes naturally. And your love for the instrument and yourself returns.

One more thing; the moment you feel crap and your writing is rather smelly, you have to consider one fine point. You are on a learning curve. Whenever you hit the curve you think your playing sucks but meanwhile, the truth is that you are actually about to hit the next level. So relax, you're doing fine. You'll start to practice soon enough again until the next curve hits.

I hope this helps, good luck
Quote by GuitarMunky
if you truly love something, you'll WANT to work on it. I mean.... you LOVE it.

the question is (to the TS).... do you love the idea of being great at guitar, or do you love the act of playing the guitar.

yes, that's what I mean

I was implying how love isn't like Titanic or any other drama romance happy end bs

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
I went through musical depression and thought i was getting worse and worse until i finialy quit playing for a few weeks. Picked it up again almost a month later and loved it.
Quote by Final !mpact
I went through musical depression and thought i was getting worse and worse until i finialy quit playing for a few weeks. Picked it up again almost a month later and loved it.

This is good advice, but i'd suggest no more than a few days, not weeks. If i stopped playing for a few weeks everytime i had a little confidence knock i'd waste months and months of the year not playing.
Quote by JakdOnCrack

What are you on? oh yeah crack, I see.

It's a pretty obvious statement made by Ikonoklast was right on the money. Ts said he doesn't want to practice but still wants to get good at guitar. Well if you don't want to practice you aren't going to get good so you'd be better putting what time you have into something else.

Same goes for your drum playing, do you just sit an bang them, or are you trying to get good by practicing?

And as for calling someone a douchebag when you clearly don't understand what the've written, I can't understand that.
Quote by Ikonoklast
Oh, and i'm nearly 22, you're 14. This is why i don't like teenage A7X fans.

Your pathetic.
How does Avenged Sevenfold influence his behavior or his language? It doesn't.

I think your jealous that Avenged Sevenfold is a more accomplished band then your **** band ever will be. Or is it that your trying to fit in with the crowd? Maybe your jealous of Synyster Gates because you know you'll never get that far?

Personally, I think the band suck. But to put that sort of **** on the band is just stupid because it's not what they deserve.
Last edited by Joshe_009 at Jan 15, 2009,
Page 1 of 2