alright so here is the deal. right now i play a MIJ jazz bass (red with black pick guard and maple fretboard if it matters) and i got a pretty good deal on it and it plays rather well. so i go into guitar center last friday and they have a "american deluxe" precision bass used (natural body with black pick guard and rosewood neck) with an upgraded pj set of emg pickups in pretty good condition....

here is the kicker. it is obviously fender and not another brand and plays and sounds great (better than my current bass) BUT...i couldnt find a serial # to save my life and asked a couple of workers who looked for it as well and then looked at the tag and said that if it wasnt on there then they couldnt find one when it was brought in...

ok so here is the big question: if they cant find the serial # then how do they know its an older american deluxe and warrant it a $1100 price tag? also i am currently a music student at the university of north carolina at greensboro so i am rather broke and bass is NOT my primary instrument (just what i always play when i go out) do you think this would be a possibly good investment to muster the $250 i would need to so it could be put on layaway?

i seek some advice here and if you think of anything i may have missed please bring it to my attention! thanks UG!
Last edited by dr.will at Jan 12, 2009,
Hmm, did they buy it in second hand. Well also with it all having upgrades it could be a mim or something, with the code scraped off. You do know its on the back off the headstock, if you can take off the neck, i think theres a number in there.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Does it really matter if it isn't exactly what the shop says it is? As long as you think it plays/sounds good enough to warrant a $1100 price tag, and it's something you know you want and would benefit your life one way or another, then why not get it?
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
of the most likely but still skeptical "mia"?

i could possibly try but im on break now and going back next week so im somewhat busy practicing, packing, and finishing a very long job application (since i came home and my current job had taken me out of the system...twats)
MIA is made in america, is that what you mean.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by dr.will
of the most likely but still skeptical "mia"?

i could possibly try but im on break now and going back next week so im somewhat busy practicing, packing, and finishing a very long job application (since i came home and my current job had taken me out of the system...twats)

ugh, that sucks.

given that situation, I would stick with what you have.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by fleajr_1412
Does it really matter if it isn't exactly what the shop says it is? As long as you think it plays/sounds good enough to warrant a $1100 price tag, and it's something you know you want and would benefit your life one way or another, then why not get it?

i completely agree...normally, but its the fact that im a now jobless college student that makes my bypass the whole "if i think its worth it" mentality.

i checked the back of the headstock and neck plate. it felt a little sturdier then MIMs i have played and the neck was better as well...but i guess its possible that it could be a heavily modified MIM.

something else that caught my eye about it was that it had a J in the bridge. i thought it was usually a humbucker or nothing, and the neck felt more like an inbetween jazz precision neck but doesnt resemble a P bass special at all so i wouldnt consider it an upgraded for of that
Could it be an aerodyne or something, im not up to date with bass models though.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Pics could help us make an accurate decision. If it had a jazz pickup at the bridge then it probably isn't an MAI Deluxe, most probably an MIM or an Aerodyne.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
rosewood neck or fret board ? if it's a rosewood neck it could be a replacement, and that's why it doesn't have a serial no. ?

I'm just taking a shot in the dark; I think they're supposed to have them on the neckplate aswell...
nah its definatly rather heavy and a beefy body

here is a little of my knowledge that my help:

MIA precision (from what ive seen)-either just have the single P pickup or a P and Humbucker

Precision special- P and J pickup with J bass neck. come with brownish gold pick gaurd and i have never seen one in a natural finish

Also i just remembered that the bass in question is all front routed and there is no back access to the bass neither is it string-through, and if it may help:

they controls go as such: volume volume tone with a switch and light...yes a light idk why. the switch doesnt do anything so i think it may be active passive and GC just didnt put batteries in and i think the light may light up in active mode. either way nothing ive seen on ANY fender bass
Quote by jimRH7
rosewood neck or fret board ? if it's a rosewood neck it could be a replacement, and that's why it doesn't have a serial no. ?

I'm just taking a shot in the dark; I think they're supposed to have them on the neckplate aswell...

ah my bad. maple neck with rosewood fretboard. yup no serial # but i did ponder it being a replacement (which would explain the odd sizing) but it says fender precision on the headstock and has all the patent #'s

i know pictures would help. i will try and run up today and get some for all of you!
natural... is it ash body?

and I suppose the regular dot inlays?
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

yes to dots. idk to ash, felt and sounded a little heavy to be ash in my opinion but im no positive
ash has the unmistakable ash grain. alder is usually rather plain and grainless in comparison.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

does it look similar to this? Obviously not the same color but do the pickups and body shape look the same? This is the only MIA Deluxe P bass I know of.

Quote by Miss G
does it look similar to this? Obviously not the same color but do the pickups and body shape look the same? This is the only MIA Deluxe P bass I know of.

no humbucker in the bridge, its a J pup instead. no string-through body, no back battery compartment and i believe it was still a 4 bolt neck

oh and the tuners are not the clover leaf but they are fender models

edit: and the bridge doesnt look like any ive seen made by fender, or a leo quan replacement

but isnt that picture of a newer MIA. maybe it mid or early 90's?
Last edited by dr.will at Jan 12, 2009,
Quote by Miss G

similar to this?

nope its definately not aerodyn. doesnt have that kind of figured top, matching headstock, thin body design, and it has more controls
hm I'm lost then lol. Whatever the bass may be, if it's a true Fender its heavily modified.
i agree. i think i may drive up there in about an hour and try and settle this.

i must say i think it would be quite epic to catch GC pulling something like that
If I were you then Id look at it with this perspective: Who cares if its an American fender, does it warrant that price to you. If it is an American, but you dont truly like it enough to buy it without the American Fender name then is it really worth it?

EDIT: Dangit, Fleajr!
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Last edited by c3powil at Jan 12, 2009,
NEVERMIND. i have made my decision to not persue it. it doesnt outplay and sound my current bass by to much, even with its upgrades, to warrant me buying a completely new bass that i cant easily afford right now

BUT

i got guitar center pretty good:

i talked to a different sales rep then i did before (both of which were real cool and decently knowledgeable btw). i asked the same questions and mentioned the serial # thing. he said it would also be in the neck joint which i told him that i figured that would be the next place. i asked if they could pull it up for me and he said he could go check with the manager. he comes back in about 5 minutes and says that it is not an american deluxe etc. he says that someone marked it in wrong...but wait if somebody actually checked the serial # then they should have known it wasnt MIA yet they still put it as such!...or maybe they never checked at all.

basically someone took a 3 piece fender style body put all fender hardware on it (except the bridge), put in emg pickups, and a fender replacement neck

i have pictures but cant figure out how to get them up...but regardless, thank you UG for all the feedback!