well I need to start writing a talk in English but i have no idea what to do it on as we have free choice. It's the final one for my standard grade and need as good a grade as possible. So. . . what should i do it on?

I want something that's interesting for everybody and engaging for the audience (not just facts about something)

I briefly thought about writing somthing to dispell the rumers about metal - e.g. all metal band members are 45+ and have long black hair, metal is just shouting etc etc

the people in my class are very narrow minded and i am the only one in class who listens to metal .. . so yea please contribute.
Equipment:
PRS SE custom Cherryburst
dean razorback V (green/black) currently on ebay
Digitech Death metal pedal [wanting to sell - £15]
Zoom G1X [wanting to sell - £25]
Line6 UX1 (with metal shop add on)
Metalheads don't really have heads made of metal.
People are bastards. Bastardcoated bastards with bastardfilling.
In my experience, people that dont like a certain subject (like metal) wont bother listening to a dialogue about it, even if your intentions are to dispel rumors. They will most likely tune out the speech and end up doing something else for the duration of your speech.
Quote by Finnepinne

I like it

makes me think i could write about how were generally decently educated and have a high technical standard in music

i dunno though. . . more suggestions?
Equipment:
say how rappers dont kill people then they will love you and talk about hip hoop
lp345: It's a virus
rage6945: i went on a little bit torrent spree and got Jay-z's black album
nebno6:Maybe it's god punishing you for having a bad music taste.
nowa90:UGNED!!
Quote by nebno6
say how rappers dont kill people then they will love you and talk about hip hoop

no chance I'm supposed to have a reputation

I did my last talk on the errors of popular music: spent five mins ranting about Rihanna, 50 cent and Panic at the Disco.
Equipment:
Quote by Finnepinne

But Cybermen DO. You should write about the differences and similarities between Cybermen and metalheads.

For example, love of technical proficiency; similarity.

Enjoy brutality and loud sounds; similarity.

Actual heads of metal; difference.

It's brilliant!
MEMBER OF THE LAUGAM BRITISH HIT SQUAD! HONORARY MEMBER OF THE SWEDISH LAUGAM HIT SQUAD!
I'M JUST SEE THROUGH FADED, SUPER JADED, AND OUT OF MY MIND
<//////>~ dA
Esther is officially awesome and smart - Frenchy
Quote by esther_mouse
But Cybermen DO. You should write about the differences and similarities between Cybermen and metalheads.

It's brilliant!

I think i love you.

No, seriously, Doctor Who is the greatest show ever.
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
Quote by p o e
I think i love you.

No, seriously, Doctor Who is the greatest show ever.

It seriously is

I'm watching it atm ^.^

I honestly don't know what to think about this new doctor though. He seems way too young. :\
MEMBER OF THE LAUGAM BRITISH HIT SQUAD! HONORARY MEMBER OF THE SWEDISH LAUGAM HIT SQUAD!
I'M JUST SEE THROUGH FADED, SUPER JADED, AND OUT OF MY MIND
<//////>~ dA
Esther is officially awesome and smart - Frenchy
Quote by esther_mouse

It's brilliant!

haha
I have been enriched XD

but yeah, dr who is awesome, and i think the new doctor will do fine
I Watched Download 07 on the internet Because I'm A Cheap Bastard and I'm Damn Proud!

Quote by TheUnholy
So, apparently "Britain has a large Pakistani community" is now a source of humour?

I hope your Daily Mail strangles you, to be honest.
Talk about guitar or something you're passionate about.
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
Quote by Cal UK
Talk about guitar or something you're passionate about.

I'd love to but i have no idea what I'd talk about that would make an interesting talk instead of just stream of facts
Equipment:
even though its a monologue put retorical questions in and make it so the audiance want to give a response. Keeps them engaged and focused. Also use humour/sarcasm - take the mick out of yourself maybe. Most of all dont go to fast
Music is the holy grail, sod wine water and the blood of jesus
I did my Standard Grade final talk a few weeks ago on Scientology. Don't. There is waaaay too much research required. What about doing it on guitars? or a band? or something you know a lot about?

edit: I just worked out who you are, looking at your profile. I know someone who knows you TS.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
Last edited by jgbsmith at Jan 12, 2009,
Talk about the Forth Ryekuh
We've several good policies
Mostly involving maiming and killing
Talk about big known guitar player's and some more unknown one's.

Like Hendrix, Van Halen, Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton and so on,

and also you could talk about more unknown one's like Shawn Lane, Buckethead, Bumblefoot and guys like that

I would pay attention to that!
Quote by mosherhamish
no chance I'm supposed to have a reputation

I did my last talk on the errors of popular music: spent five mins ranting about Rihanna, 50 cent and Panic at the Disco.

Panic At The Disco's second album was very creative and original, IMO.

But the guy up there ^ had a good idea. Talk about Buckethead.
kill all humans
Quote by jgbsmith
I did my Standard Grade final talk a few weeks ago on Scientology. Don't. There is waaaay too much research required. What about doing it on guitars? or a band? or something you know a lot about?

edit: I just worked out who you are, looking at your profile. I know someone who knows you TS.

do you know jason?? jw looking at yours

anyway i was thinking about possibly doing it on the war in Iraq where i could baisicly find it exactly why it was all BS

I've done a talk on a band in the past and didn't get a good grade as its bairly engaging the audience.
Equipment:
Quote by alaskan_ninja
Panic At The Disco's second album was very creative and original, IMO.

But the guy up there ^ had a good idea. Talk about Buckethead.

it was talking specifically about there song "i write sins, not tragedies"
Equipment:
If you've got people in your class with a sense of humour/irony, go for doing a talk on doing talks. : D
Quote by mosherhamish

anyway i was thinking about possibly doing it on the war in Iraq where i could baisicly find it exactly why it was all BS

I've done a talk on a band in the past and didn't get a good grade as its bairly engaging the audience.

ya.

Dn't do something political, they are always boring as hell.

A friend of mine did 9/11 conspiracy theories for his, that was hilarious.

I'm doing mine about the Beatles
~And the raindrops in the cars

Keep on falling from off the bars

Blocking out a good song

Playing on the radio~
Quote by esther_mouse
It seriously is

I'm watching it atm ^.^

I honestly don't know what to think about this new doctor though. He seems way too young. :\

They seem to get younger every time. Perhaps the last doctor will just be a baby
Quote by mosherhamish

You could talk about the war in Iraq, but can you count on the class to have the maturity to respect your views, despite how implausible it seems?

You say you have a reputation, that you are the only "alternative music" fan, in your class and so on.

Rather than try to change their views, by talking about music, perghaps youc an change their view, simply by talking about something else.

Meaning, after they have listened intently to what you have to say, they may think to themselves;

"That dude is actually OK. I thought Metalheads were wankers, but this one isn't."

If you want your presentation to go well, try and use props. People love something that they can play with as it gets passed around the class. It will also provoke questions.

Obviously, I can't pick a subject for you, but ultimately, you want to choose something that will make sure that YOU, are the authority on, in that room.

Good luck.
Quote by Thecla
I'm doing mine about the Beatles

My dad has a "booklet"(if that is the right word) he made when he was 16.

It has basicly the whole life-story of every member of the band(up to the time of when he made it), and each member had thei're own booklet with pictures and newspaper-articles and handwritten stuff... And of course the whole history of the band.

He put a REALLY big amount of work into that... And you can imagine, He didn't have any internet to help him either back then.

That booklet is very well made and it's pretty big too!

Why am I telling you this? Well, I felt I had too.
Quote by wyldething
In my experience, people that dont like a certain subject (like metal) wont bother listening to a dialogue about it, even if your intentions are to dispel rumors. They will most likely tune out the speech and end up doing something else for the duration of your speech.

He's right. So instead compare Metallica to Jonas Brothers and open some eyes. You'd be doing your country a favor.
Eternity isn't long
If all you so is sleep
And forever is just a little while
If all you do is dream.

All Alone is All we Are
Quote by coheed713
He's right. So instead compare Metallica to Jonas Brothers and open some eyes. You'd be doing your country a favor.

this man is right actually. Scotland could do with as many favours as you can give it.