Hey, I am a beginner guitar player and have been learning/practicing for about 1 week. I have been learning alot of chords doing exercises to build speed and trying to play songs. I practice anywhere from 30 min to an hour a day usually not all at once but in 10 to 15 min intervals. I was progressing really well now I seem to have went backwards and my hand feels a little stiff. Should I lay off for a few days or push through this?
I stay up all night practicing.

'http://grou ps.ultimate-guita r.com/latenightpr actice/'
Last edited by Tobacco Stain at Jan 12, 2009,
I would not lay off for a few days... personally, I'd just keep going. Stiff does not equal pain, so there shouldnt be anything to worry about.
Lol, isn't it about too early to jump to such conclusions as going backwards? Not trying to offend you or something, but I really don't think you've actually learnt enough to go backwards. guitar just isn't something you master in a week, nor a year, possibly not a decade.

Just continue playing, it's normal in the beginning.
If your hand is stiff try and relax when you're playing - you may be tensing up, which isn't good for you or your playing
The stiffness isn't just when I play and its a little numb to kinda like its asleep.
I'm usually pretty relaxed when I practice. Also by going backwards I meant in my speed and accuracy. Thanks for the advice I just wanted to make sure this wasn't a early sign of injury.
I stay up all night practicing.

'http://grou ps.ultimate-guita r.com/latenightpr actice/'
Quote by Tobacco Stain
The stiffness isn't just when I play and its a little numb to kinda like its asleep.
I'm usually pretty relaxed when I practice. Also by going backwards I meant in my speed and accuracy. Thanks for the advice I just wanted to make sure this wasn't a early sign of injury.

Make sure you stretch and loosen up your hands and fingers before you play. It might help out a bit. Plus its kind of like lifting weights and your muscles get tired. Same thing goes for your hands.
One thing I found I did when I started was I pressed too hard when fretting; try not to press too hard, just use enough pressure so the string rings cleanly, with no buzz.

It took me a bit of time to find the right pressure, but once I fixed that my hand became better and didn't tire so quickly.

Hope that helps.
Check your strap length. If you are playing too low, it causes your wrist to bend more than is comfortable and will reduce blood flow, causing the semi-numb sensation etc. I found that out the ward way, too. Sure, it looks great to play right down low, but learn with the guitar higher up. Later, when you are more relaxed and conpetent, you can mess around and be a guitar poser. We all like to do that but get the basics right first.