Page 1 of 7
there doesnt seem to be a JB thread here! what a travesty!

im just interested to see what sort of a following he has on this board, you dont usually see much talk about him around here, which is weird because he's one fascinatingly brilliant guitar player, unbelievable technical ability with buckets of energy and soul. not to mention his glorious tone!

so who loves Joe?

I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to
- Jimi Hendrix

Im tired of following my dreams, im going to ask them where their going and hook up with them later
- Mitch Hedberg
Last edited by Zeds.Ded at Apr 3, 2009,
I've got Sloe Gin, and a Live From Nowhere In Particular...

He's a really good guitarist. His solo tone's AWESOME. And that's coming from a bassist :p

Not something I normally listen to though.
I think there is one.

Did you use the proper search form?

Anyways, his cover of blues deluxe...

Man, oh man.
searched alright, and scanned all 3 pages of this forum, nothing came up
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to
- Jimi Hendrix

Im tired of following my dreams, im going to ask them where their going and hook up with them later
- Mitch Hedberg
He is great. I almost saw him last fall, but it came down to him or the Allmans and I chose the ABB.

And there have been a bunch of threads but they always die out after 2 or 3 pages.
It's Only Rock and Roll, But I like It
must not be that much off a following then, doesnt matter though his fan base is huge, i was shocked to see a packed venue over here (Dublin) it was fantastic!
- Jimi Hendrix

- Mitch Hedberg
^ All the regulars in here love Bonnamassa as far as I'm aware. It's just that only the John Mayer thread really seems to survive in here for whatever reasons.
survival of the fittest
- Jimi Hendrix

- Mitch Hedberg
a matter of opinion i guess, i personally love his voice, such power and grit!
- Jimi Hendrix

- Mitch Hedberg
i love him. i even love all of his straight up rock stuff. i would love to hear him do a blues album in the BB King vain.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by Zeds.Ded
searched alright, and scanned all 3 pages of this forum, nothing came up

Ah, see. You need to scroll down to the bottom of the page and select from the: "Beginning"

But, you can never have one Bonamassa Thread too many!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxZS4rMdJN0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0se9v3n9Gs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgR7CmKFXdA

I think this little documentary really shows how far he's gotten since being an SRV clone
yah i was just looking at that before i read your comment

i got that Bloodline album after i watched that, not long after i first started listening to him, completely blew my mind, 16 for gods sake i knew i was about to embark on a large JB journey after that
- Jimi Hendrix

- Mitch Hedberg
Great guitarist. Am I the only one that finds a lot of Eric Johnson influences in his playing?
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

yah, EJ is huge influence on him, you here it most when he finger picks chords, and some of his speed licks are taken straight from EJ but slightly restyled. i think all guitarist should have a bit of EJ in there playing
- Jimi Hendrix

- Mitch Hedberg
saw him in summer 08 too, did he do the occapello singing part at the gig you went to as well? that was pretty cool, all the music stopped and he walked ahead of the mic at the edge of the stage and sang part of the song (cant remember which one) occapello, that was really cool. also, standing outside the entrance, a few of us were just waiting for the doors to open, and he just strolls out, he was like "hey guys, is this the entrance?", and we're all like " . . . . . erm . . . . yeh!"
- Jimi Hendrix

- Mitch Hedberg
he is great player,
but to me something is just not there that someone like john mayer, srv or robert cray has
Quote by stewart91
he is great player,
but to me something is just not there that someone like john mayer, srv or robert cray has

As far as Blues and blues rock go, Bonamassa beats Mayer by a mile.
I saw Bonamassa with Back Door Slam in Dallas this fall. I actually hadn't heard of him before I saw the concert. I was looking up Back Door Slam because I was impressed with some of their youtube stuff. Both bands were awesome although there were quite a few older people there and I wish they would have gotten into it more. Bonamassa had some great tunes, and I gotta applaud his use of the theremin while playing guitar.

And yes in my opinion Bonamassa blows Mayer out of the water as far as blues rock goes. I feel the same way about Mayer that you feel about Bonamassa, stewart91. It's good but something is missing, and I cant put my finger on it.
Quote by stewart91
he is great player,

I don't wanna be a dink, but Mayer has nothing Bonamassa doesn't, that is my personal opinion

but can you define what exactly is missing?
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
i can't really explain what i feel is missing, its just what i feel if you know what i mean. but hey the world would be boring if we all felt the same way
Quote by ze monsta
I understand what you mean, but feel the opposite.

Joe Bonamassa is more influenced by Jeff Beck, Eric Johnson, Kossof and SRV. Where as Mayer is much more influenced by Hendrix and SRV.

there are also healthy doses of robben ford-ness and Clapton in a lot of his licks

if you are going to steal, steal from the best
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Quote by Carswell98
there are also healthy doses of robben ford-ness and Clapton in a lot of his licks

if you are going to steal, steal from the best

The why would he steal from Clapton

I kid, I kid.

I definitely hear some Robben Ford in his Phrasing.

Tbh, Bonamassa was at about the stage of play that John is at now, when he was 16 (A little past it even)

Just look at the bloodline videos I posted earlier.
lol, you got somethin' against Clapton

I agree about Joe's skill level, but even before that, Joe just plays the blues with a little more sincerity and intensity, and he's pretty confident in himself(rightly so) and he doesn't have to play for anyone but himself because of it, which is something I think Mayer could take cues from
Last.Fm

― Terry Pratchett

qft...

what do yous think of the difference in his playing from "new day yesterday: live" to "live from nowhere in particular"? i think the playing is far more mature and classy, obviously its 6 or 7 years on but there two very different sounds. discuss!
- Jimi Hendrix

- Mitch Hedberg
^ I haven't heard the older one, but I live his newer live album. That one extended jam where he plays the Frampton and Zeppelin riffs is really cool.
Quote by Zeds.Ded
yah, EJ is huge influence on him, you here it most when he finger picks chords, and some of his speed licks are taken straight from EJ but slightly restyled. i think all guitarist should have a bit of EJ in there playing

Aaah. I never heard it in his acoustic stuff. But I did recognize EJ in his licks since the 1st song I heard.
He's very underrated if you ask me.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

^not underrated, just more obscure than someone as talented as he is should be

Quote by Zeds.Ded
what do yous think of the difference in his playing from "new day yesterday: live" to "live from nowhere in particular"? i think the playing is far more mature and classy, obviously its 6 or 7 years on but there two very different sounds. discuss!

I think you are right about that, he has significantly better tone in Live from nowhere in particular as well

India/Mountain Time is teh secks on that album
Last.Fm

― Terry Pratchett

qft...

yeh man, played on that strange tele machine

his own style sounds slightly more developed as well. i also love the way he re-wrote some of the covers his covers, 'new day yesterday', 'walking in my shadow', 'heartache nickel', i think he has three versions of that song now

^ I haven't heard the older one, but I live his newer live album. That one extended jam where he plays the Frampton and Zeppelin riffs is really cool.

i highly recommend getting 'new day yesterday: live', i sorta live by that album! truly brilliant stuff. also 'i just got paid' is that song your thinking of, ZZ top cover.
- Jimi Hendrix

- Mitch Hedberg
Quote by Carswell98
lol, you got somethin' against Clapton

I agree about Joe's skill level, but even before that, Joe just plays the blues with a little more sincerity and intensity, and he's pretty confident in himself(rightly so) and he doesn't have to play for anyone but himself because of it, which is something I think Mayer could take cues from

Nah, I love his older stuff man, just joking around

Oh yeah, definitely. He's just got that touch. Mayer simply doesn't have it. Imho.

Quote by Zeds.Ded
yeh man, played on that strange tele machine

his own style sounds slightly more developed as well. i also love the way he re-wrote some of the covers his covers, 'new day yesterday', 'walking in my shadow', 'heartache nickel', i think he has three versions of that song now

i highly recommend getting 'new day yesterday: live', i sorta live by that album! truly brilliant stuff. also 'i just got paid' is that song your thinking of, ZZ top cover.

Imo, he had the best tone and played the best when he was still using his strats.

Yeah, Just Got Paid is awesome. Slides out into Dazed and confused aswell
I bet that tele gets some godly sustain

doesn't he still use a strat for a couple songs? like Blues Deluxe?

if it wasn't for joe I wouldn't care for les pauls that much, but because of his amazing humbucker tones, I've sort of warmed up to them
Last.Fm

― Terry Pratchett

qft...

i dont know if ive heard any strat on the new album, but i know i didnt see him use one when a saw him live last year, so i doubt its on the new album. and all the recent videos of him on youtube are all of him using LP's, even for Blues Deluxe. he must of changed is playing preferences because i remember seeing a tutorial video of him showing his different techniques and his rig/guitars, he said himself that he was a predominantly a strat player and when explaining about les pauls he was even talking about how he adjusts his playing to make them feel more strat like! and that wasnt too long ago i think. hes obviously a changed man
- Jimi Hendrix

- Mitch Hedberg
Quote by Carswell98
I bet that tele gets some godly sustain

doesn't he still use a strat for a couple songs? like Blues Deluxe?

if it wasn't for joe I wouldn't care for les pauls that much, but because of his amazing humbucker tones, I've sort of warmed up to them

Nah, I don't think so. I haven't seen him using a strat in a few years.

Fender screwed him over on the Joe Bonamassa Custom strat or something, so he stopped using them. A shame really.
Got into JB a couple of years ago and have all his albums, but I find his later offerings are not heavy enough for me. I have his Live at Rockalpast DVD and then when I saw he was coming to Dublin, I had to go and see him, expecting the same type of performance.
However, I was disappointed. Though guitar playing was great, he lost a lot of the audience who were talking away and the atmosphere never really took off. I didn't realise he would be promoting Sloe Gin also which would be my least favouite album.
Please Joe, go back to your original rocking blues.
Quote by Blues_Krayz

This.

Fecking love Bonamassa.
Quote by Blues_Krayz
Got into JB a couple of years ago and have all his albums, but I find his later offerings are not heavy enough for me. I have his Live at Rockalpast DVD and then when I saw he was coming to Dublin, I had to go and see him, expecting the same type of performance.
However, I was disappointed. Though guitar playing was great, he lost a lot of the audience who were talking away and the atmosphere never really took off. I didn't realise he would be promoting Sloe Gin also which would be my least favouite album.

I like sloe gin, I think it has some pretty solid tracks, but I sort of feel the same way, You and Me is my personal favorite, that is an epic Blues-Rock album

Quote by JilaX^
Nah, I don't think so. I haven't seen him using a strat in a few years.

Fender screwed him over on the Joe Bonamassa Custom strat or something, so he stopped using them. A shame really.

yeah that is, and that is also weird because fender is usually so good with artists
Last.Fm

― Terry Pratchett

qft...