Page 1 of 2
sharpant
Tab Contributor
5,901 IQ
After getting my guitar signed by Paul Gilbert i decided I'd get a professional lacquer applied

I also had Bare Knuckle Pickups installed

Check my Sig for the pickups, i would do sound clips but my camera mic just doesn't do it justice, anyways here are the pics

Ibanez PGM301 signed by Paul Gilbert
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Saving for a GH100L/VH100R
Orange PPC212 2X12
sacamano79
Fighter of the Nightman
2,222 IQ
wow, i wish my guitar was signed by paul gilbert and if my girlfriend had told her friend that we were going to see AC/DC, i could have had the entire bands signatures on my sg
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
sharpant
Tab Contributor
5,901 IQ
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
jambi_mantra
Is actually English
740 IQ
Meh, I like it. Should sound awesome, it's a great combo of pickups.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
mikeyElite
who ate my snackpack?
2,134 IQ
very awesome. how do they sound through that laney ?
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
sharpant
Tab Contributor
5,901 IQ
Weird actually, the cleans from the Mule and the mothers milk are outstanding. As are the SRV/Hendrix tones

I really haven't decided on the Miracle man yet....

My VC50 sounds poor now at low volumes but the GH100L sounds even better, slightly confusing.

I'm going to wait until the parents are out so i can crank the VC50 and see how it sounds now. It's strange the way EMG's sounded good at low volume through the VC50 but the Bareknuckles dont.
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
jambi_mantra
Is actually English
740 IQ
Hmm that is odd, I love my Miracle Man. I prefer it to the EMGs in my Jackson actually. Might be the amp, sounds sick with my 5150 IMO.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
axe_thrasher
Hates clapping to a song
1,031 IQ
Cool, I remember the old thread a couple of months back where you having the dilemma whether to actually switch the pups or not due to the fact gilbert had signed it.
kool98769
The Muffin Man...
2,270 IQ
pg fanboy much? lol
Nice axe though.
Jealous.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
sharpant
Tab Contributor
5,901 IQ
Quote by jambi_mantra
Hmm that is odd, I love my Miracle Man. I prefer it to the EMGs in my Jackson actually. Might be the amp, sounds sick with my 5150 IMO.

I previously had EMG's and the people on the Laney forum were saying that the VC50 sucked at low volumes but i argued it didn't. Now i have BKP's it does but my GH100L sounds better than ever...
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
davedoom
1,052 IQ
I know how good BK are - but i chose how they looked to match the guitar......errm...did you?

The covers really don't work - those particular ones dont work on many guitars at all

You should have had Zebras - or did you just get them off ebay?

Sorry.
Doadman
Tab Contributor
2,504 IQ
Bare Knuckle pickups are awesome but I'd have to agree that the covers really don't work on that guitar.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
sharpant
Tab Contributor
5,901 IQ
Think I've come to the conclusion that I'm disappointed with the Bareknuckles, In particular the Miracle man, so much so that I'm considering having the Dimarzio's reinstalled.

I asked for a racer X tone and its way too messy imo

It probably has more gain than necessary, i loved the Paf pro's as they gave me tone and distortion at the same time, the miracle man just seems to be an EMG on steroids with little character

After hearing all the rave reviews about BKP (I Agree with the Mule and Mothers Milk)
I decided to jump onboard but the MM has really let me down

I'm probably going to have my Paf Pro's put back in and sell the BKP's

They sell for a nice price so that's no loss to me, I'll put the cash towards my fireman i guess
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
Last edited by sharpant at Jan 13, 2009,
Exo M7
king, dead - long life.
1,496 IQ
It sure should sound and play sexy. Why did you have to ruin the nice white/black color scheme though? Zebra pickups would have been the sex.

Awesome guitar, awesome guitarist
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
davedoom
1,052 IQ
Quote by sharpant
Think I've come to the conclusion that I'm disappointed with the Bareknuckles, In particular the Miracle man, so much so that I'm considering having the Dimarzio's reinstalled.

I asked for a racer X tone and its way too messy imo

It probably has more gain than necessary, i loved the Paf pro's as they gave me tone and distortion at the same time, the miracle man just seems to be an EMG on steroids with little character

After hearing all the rave reviews about BKP (I Agree with the Mule and Mothers Milk)
I decided to jump onboard but the MM has really let me down

I'm probably going to have my Paf Pro's put back in and sell the BKP's

They sell for a nice price so that's no loss to me, I'll put the cash towards my fireman i guess

That was quick! haha

Shame - i'd take em....if....

For that Gilbert tone, i must say that the whole BK range is too thick and fat - which would come across as muddy achieving that tone......
Surely the PG pups or Vai or Petrucci would be aiming at the mark....or at least closer?
timi_hendrix
My heron!
445 IQ
How loud are you playing? The Laneys sound very fizzy and messy at low volumes, they clear up a lot once you get the volume up a bit. Well, a lot. I'd have thought you'd like the BKs.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
sharpant
Tab Contributor
5,901 IQ
Yea well i have the Paf pro's and loved them, just assumed these would be EVEN better, unfortunately that's not the case, ah well i paid £270 to have the guitar lacquered and £0 to have the pickups installed, I'll pay £40 to have the Dimarzios installed and can sell the Bareknuckles for a lot on ebay in which i can put the cash towards my Ibanez Fireman
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
timi_hendrix
My heron!
445 IQ
Did you change your settings at all?

And you didn't answer my first question. Your amps are at their best loud, maybe the bareknuckles will be too.

My Music
jambi_mantra
Is actually English
740 IQ
How high is the gain? The Miracle Man doesn't need high gain on the amp.

Fair enough if you don't like them, I just don't think you've really given it enough time to find what suits you and the pick ups.

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,967 IQ
yeah, my BKPs sound much better the louder they go too, for some reason. don't do anything till you try them a bit louder. and don't do anything until you've had them for a couple of weeks and been playing them a lot. switching pickups is funny... often you don't notice too much of a difference... but then when you go back to the old pickups you're like, "yuck!"... that's what happens to me, anyway. of course, there's always the chance you don't like them. but as i said, give them a while first.

that being said, i've tried some dimarzios recently (in shops) and didn't think they sounded amazing at lower volumes either (or higher either). just depends what you like, i guess.
Quote by classicrocker01
Only on UG would I say I got engaged and bought a jet city and get congratulated on the amp

Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jan 13, 2009,
SG thrasher
Don't believe a word.
1,232 IQ
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah, my BKPs sound much better the louder they go too, for some reason. don't do anything till you try them a bit louder. and don't do anything until you've had them for a couple of weeks and been playing them a lot. switching pickups is funny... often you don't notice too much of a difference... but then when you go back to the old pickups you're like, "yuck!"... that's what happens to me, anyway. of course, there's always the chance you don't like them. but as i said, give them a while first.

that being said, i've tried some dimarzios recently (in shops) and didn't think they sounded amazing at lower volumes either (or higher either). just depends what you like, i guess.

Agreed, I didn't like my Nailbomb at first, but as i played with it more i realise how much better it really is, clarity power and just overall win.

The MM IS an EMG 81 on steroids, it's a pretty well known thing, it's not that the bareknuckles are crap, it's that you chose the wrong pickups, simple as.
Last edited by SG thrasher at Jan 13, 2009,
sharpant
Tab Contributor
5,901 IQ
Well seeing as I'm e-mailed Tim asking for his recommendations i wasn't going to argue with him

He recommended the Miracle Man for the Tones i desired, simple as.

Maybe i should have gone for the Nailbomb....
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,967 IQ
yeah. tim steered me right, certainly, but he's going to be very much steering you based on what you tell him. for example, the MM is really tight, it's not terribly organic- but then that's what i asked for! can't really complain (this is me, personally) if i decide now that i might prefer something a little more organic...

but yeah, my advice is not to do anything hasty (that's always my advice, lol, if there's ever the option to do nothing, take it!), you may decide you like them after all, or if you don't, at least you'll know that you gave them a fair chance...
Quote by classicrocker01
Only on UG would I say I got engaged and bought a jet city and get congratulated on the amp

sharpant
Tab Contributor
5,901 IQ
people over on the BKP forums are saying i should have never gone for a MM hmm :S
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
MrCarrot
Sup.
1,542 IQ
Quote by sharpant
people over on the BKP forums are saying i should have never gone for a MM hmm :S
I would agree...
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
sharpant
Tab Contributor
5,901 IQ
From Tim ( the guy who makes them)

You have a couple of choices here-Gilbert uses low output humbuckers these days but to get his Racer X tone I would recommend the Miracle Man humbucker-other good choices that would suit your Ibanez would be the Nailbomb and the Holydiver humbucker.
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
jambi_mantra
Is actually English
740 IQ
Well give him credit, he's never played your set up. Usually he is spot on. I still think you should play around with it more.

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
sharpant
Tab Contributor
5,901 IQ
I've e-mailed him asking if there is any further options for me, I think Tim allows you to swap them over but i don't know tbh

A refund would be excellent but that's just me being a dick.
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
jambi_mantra
Is actually English
740 IQ
He's got great customer service and I think will swap them, you just have to send it back and pay postage.

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
sharpant
Tab Contributor
5,901 IQ
Think a refund is a possibility?
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,967 IQ
i think you should wait slightly longer... that being said if you want a refund/replacement it might be better to do that quickly, in terms of rights. but considering they're custom made, i'm not quite sure about your rights on that for a refund.

what don't you like about the MM?
Quote by classicrocker01

timi_hendrix
My heron!
445 IQ
Quote by Dave_Mc

what don't you like about the MM?

It doesn't sound like Paul Gilbert I'm guessing.

My Music
jambi_mantra
Is actually English
740 IQ
Yea I don't think he'll refund it.

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
kool98769
The Muffin Man...
2,270 IQ
see if you can just get an exchange if you're satisfied with the other two pickups.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,967 IQ
but if he likes the other two, there's a reasonable chance he'll swap the MM for a different model. i think.
Quote by classicrocker01

SG thrasher
Don't believe a word.
1,232 IQ
Quote by timi_hendrix
It doesn't sound like Paul Gilbert I'm guessing.

BURRRRRRRRRRRRRRN.

At the end of the day, Tim does a bloody good job of recommending one of his stellar pickups from the description you give him, tone is subjective so you will have a different idea of what sounds good(But you think a GH on 1 sounds good so... ).

LOLIAMSOCONTROVERSIAL.
sharpant
Tab Contributor
5,901 IQ
I don't necessarily think it sounds 'good' but i don't think it sounds dire....
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12