Should i just get a buch of pedals or just get a multi effects pedal doard? i was looking at the BOSS ME-50
i depends one what your doing with them, if your doing pub gigs every night of the week, multi effects boards are the way to go, but quite frankly thats the only application id have for them. i much prefer single stomp boxes, i find there more versatile, sound better and look cooler. obviously the price is something you either deal with or dont, if you have a well paying job and can afford singles then go for them.

^ just an opinion of course there are plenty of great sound multi's out there, im just not into them
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to
- Jimi Hendrix

Im tired of following my dreams, im going to ask them where their going and hook up with them later
- Mitch Hedberg
so the effects are better if you buy the single stom box? it just seems a whole lot cheaper the 4 stomp boxes i want would cost the same if not more then the ME- 50 that has..... well idk exactly how many but its a WHOOOOOOLE lot more then 4
i know yeh, thats the good point, its just a matter of tonal preference, if you get a chance to play what your thinking of buying then use your ears to decide
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to
- Jimi Hendrix

Im tired of following my dreams, im going to ask them where their going and hook up with them later
- Mitch Hedberg
well like one of the pedals i was gonna get was the blues driver by boss(BD-2) and one of the settings on the ME-50 is the BD-2 pedal so if i use it on the ME-50 it will sound different then if i were to just get the actual BD-2?
Here is a comparison I have from EXPERIENCE.

Multi-effect

Pros:
-WAY Cheaper than buying seperate pedals
-You can save sounds (on most of them that is. You definately can on a BOSS ME-20)
-It is smaller than seperate pedals lined up
-You don't have to buy pedal couplers
-You only need one power supply

Cons:
-You can only one run overdrive/distortion, modulation effect, or delay/reverb at once
-You cannot chose what effects you want on it
-The effects are usually lower-quality than effects from seperate pedals.
-You cannot switch between settings easily
-It is hard to switch between saved sounds
-Can make seperate pedals not sound right if used with the multi-effect

Now lets so Seperate Pedals

Pros:
-Better quality sound
-More unique controls on each pedal
-Able to choose what you want
-Can use whatever effects you want at one time
-Easy to navigate (if you know which pedal is which)
-More settings to play around with
-You can use different effects at once to create your own crazy sounds (like Tom Morello)
-More pedals to choose from
-More customizeable

Cons:
-More money than a multi-effect
-Takes up a lot of space
-You have to buy a pedal coupler for every pedal you have
-You need a power supply extension or a power supply for every pedal you have
-You have to move the knobs to change between settings
-You need several large pedals for wah/whammy/volume

Basically, it is better to use seperate pedals overall, but if you want something just to practice on, or are getting your first effect setup, get a multi-effects.

Otherwise, go with seperate pedals.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
what you mean power supply and couplers? i thought you just took a regular guitar cable(like what you use to hook you guitar to amp and just get short cables and hook them up in the input and output jacks on the pedals?
Quote by Diablo52
what you mean power supply and couplers? i thought you just took a regular guitar cable(like what you use to hook you guitar to amp and just get short cables and hook them up in the input and output jacks on the pedals?

A pedal coupler basically is a small instrument cable. They are about 1 to 5 inches long and are only used for connecting pedals.

They aren't much money but they are a pain in the ass to buy.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
well what would i need the power supply for? and how would i hook it up(Im a electric noob i played acoustic for 1 year and a half just now getting into electric)
Quote by Diablo52
well what would i need the power supply for? and how would i hook it up(Im a electric noob i played acoustic for 1 year and a half just now getting into electric)

You know... a power supply like for your xbox, or cell phone charger. So you don't have to use batteries.
single pedals sound better IMO

theyre also easier to tweak in my experience

if you need loads of effects on a budget, get a multi FX

otherwise i think its better long term to get single pedals. i know plenty people who started with multi FXs and got rid of them in favour of single pedals
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by 667
You know... a power supply like for your xbox, or cell phone charger. So you don't have to use batteries.

so how do i hook it up to the pedals?
Quote by Diablo52
so how do i hook it up to the pedals?

Come on dude... you plug them in... just like almost every electronic gaget in existence. Usually a 9 volt little round plug. One end goes into the AC outlet on the wall, or power strip. and the other plugs into the pedal.
Last edited by 667 at Jan 12, 2009,
Quote by Diablo52
would i have to get a seperate power supply for each pedal?

It depends. Some come with, usually not. Most are 9v, aome are 12, some are 18.You have to match the the output with whatever the manufacturer recommends (check the manuals). Most music stores carry everything you will need... or radio shack.

Go to Boss' or Digitechs or whomever's website. Look at their pedals. Browse the documentation and the faq sheets. They have the manuals for their pedals on-line. Go to Youtube and search for guitar effects pedals Listen so some examples, watch how they are setup and tweaked, read some reviews, get some knowledge.

Good luck.
Last edited by 667 at Jan 12, 2009,
Quote by tmfiore
Here is a comparison I have from EXPERIENCE.

Multi-effect

Pros:
-WAY Cheaper than buying seperate pedals
-You can save sounds (on most of them that is. You definately can on a BOSS ME-20)
-It is smaller than seperate pedals lined up
-You don't have to buy pedal couplers
-You only need one power supply

Cons:
-You can only one run overdrive/distortion, modulation effect, or delay/reverb at once
-You cannot chose what effects you want on it
-The effects are usually lower-quality than effects from seperate pedals.
-You cannot switch between settings easily
-It is hard to switch between saved sounds
-Can make seperate pedals not sound right if used with the multi-effect

Now lets so Seperate Pedals

have to disagree with you here. you making it sound like its a bad thing that you can only run one overdrive distortion effects, etc. i don't think anyone need more than one of these at once. in fact unless your into graphic engineering the outcome could be pretty horrid.

you cannot switch between settings easily? dude are you serious? last time i checked which happens to be 2 minutes ago all i have to do was tap on the next preset and wala. that goes for between saved sound as well.

on the side note. modulars are getting better and more accurate with each new patch. one of the recording engineer asked me which vox amp i was using when i did my recording at home and he was pretty shocked when i told him i was only using my pod.
i'd reommend getting a POD XT over an ME-50. since your just beginning, i doubt you need a floorboard multi-fx. for a while, i say stick with using a multi-fx/good amp modeler, and LEARN TO USE IT PROPERLY. learning how all the amp and effect models sound different will be good, so that when you look out to buy non-modeled gear, you'll kind of know what to look for.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.