Hey there EG.

I've got a question that I hope you might be able to answer...but here's a short story!

Recently i've been getting into metal music via alternative things getting progressively heavier.
My "metal" influences are Fightstar (yes mock away), Metallica, Bullet for My Valentine, Children of Bodom, Trivium and Machine Head etc.

I've been browsing the internet at many brands and models, with my opinion changing all the time until I end up at the beginning again! So far i've been considering mainly...

LTD EC-1000: I like this, hardtail so I can tune very quickly and easily, but I already have a Les Paul, and would like to have something a bit different. Also a bit wary of the bulky neck heel/fret access.

LTD M-1000: I like this a lot too, it's everything I would like in a metal guitar but the big question mark is about the Floyd Rose bridge, I just wouldn't use it. I know there is the Tremol-no system and even a block of wood would fix it into place. The main question is I really don't want to start faffing when it comes to restringing it, with the inclusion of taking ball ends off, locking them into place, tuning it round the pegs all seems a lot of hard work for something "hard tail".

I've tried looking at Schecter but their site is down at the moment, Ibanez and Jackson don't appeal to me (not a fan of their necks - too thin for my liking). I was looking at PRS (desirable I know) and sticking active pickups in there but I couldn't afford a nice one and the SE Custom isn't desirable to me.

Can anyone recommend a solution to either the restringing a blocked FR simply, or even another guitar to look at?
I like classy looking ones, active pickups prefered as well as a smooth fast neck (not very thin but a bit thinner than a 60's gibson neck) as well as a classy finish (excluding black cherry or emerald green!) a fixed bridge is very preferable due to wanting to tune to different tunings a lot. (highlighted to stand out )

Price range £400 - £800 roughly (not in the market of buying, just considering options)
I'd be practicing through a Roland Microcube mainly, and every now and again being able to crank my JCM 800 until I can get an attenuator of the Weber Mass variety!

Thank's for any help guys! I know it seems a long wall of text!
Chris

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Last edited by Chrisiphone at Jan 12, 2009,
get the MH-1000 without the floyd rose /obvious answer
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
EC-1000's rock i have an old one and it's the only guitar i've had a as a constant its better then the esp models in my opinion cause of the 24 fretts. but schecter makes some awesome guitars if you look at their hell raiser collection just search for them on musiciansfriend or something
Keep On Keepen' On
If you're not gonna use tremolo, why even consider a guitar with Floyd Rose? Get a LTD H-1001, strat shape with hard tail. Although I like Jackson and Ibanez much more than LTD, but just my opinion.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
Quote by MustangSVT
If you're not gonna use tremolo, why even consider a guitar with Floyd Rose? Get a LTD H-1001, strat shape with hard tail. Although I like Jackson and Ibanez much more than LTD, but just my opinion.

Yepp, agreed. Not so much Ibanez but I would take a Jackson over the LTD MH for sure.
Quote by Chrisiphone

LTD M-1000: I like this a lot too, it's everything I would like in a metal guitar but the big question mark is about the Floyd Rose bridge, I just wouldn't use it. I know there is the Tremol-no system and even a block of wood would fix it into place. The main question is I really don't want to start faffing when it comes to restringing it, with the inclusion of taking ball ends off, locking them into place, tuning it round the pegs all seems a lot of hard work for something "hard tail".

Stringing a floyd rose is NOT DIFFICULT. It's different. Cutting off a ball end is as simple as cutting off a ball end -- I don't get the big deal about that. As long as you re-string your floyd's strings one by one, you should have no difficulty in stringing/tuning. If you like it, go for it.
Quote by MooshMooshMarc
I didnt have anything planned out, and I didn't know **** about improvising, so it was like "OH SHI- SOLO TIME" so I kerry-kinged it.
Quote by SquierLolz
get the MH-1000 without the floyd rose /obvious answer

Quote by Chrisiphone

I like classy looking ones, active pickups prefered as well as a smooth fast neck (not very thin but a bit thinner than a 60's gibson neck) as well as a classy finish (excluding black cherry or emerald green!) a fixed bridge is very preferable due to wanting to tune to different tunings a lot.

If it had a much better finish on them (I don't personally like them) and they had the active pickups i'd really consider it.

I know it sounds weird but I considered the M-1000 originally because aesthetically it was amazing (reversed headstock, inlays, white colour). After more research the specifications are frankly great for the price - £750ish at GAK. The neck and fretboard access is also very good in my opinion.

E-Married to Funny_Page
LTD MH-1000

Schecter C1 Classic
~3.6 billion years of evolutionary progress have led to this post~
A fixed bridge version of a Schecter Hellraiser,Blackjack,or Blackjack ATX.Epiphone prophecy series LP or SG.A Michael Kelly fixed bridge model since the higher end models have EMG pups.Fixed bridge version of the MH-400 since I'm pretty sure it comes with active EMG's and similar features to the MH-1000 while costing a bit less.

Just a few I can think of off the top of my head.Hope it helps yah out.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys and all the help!
Regarding the EC-1000; I'll wait till I can have a thorough play of one and really experience it back to back with another!
Regarding the M-1000; Thanks Brian 1.0, it does seem a simple thing to do when you put it like that! Just a case of blocking it, setting up correctly, then restringing like normal with the exception of ball end?

I've looked at the RG's, they aren't for me too be honest.
On the plus side I rather like the look of the LTD H - 1001!, the Michael Kelly Vex Deluxe looks interesting too as well as the Schecter 006 hellraiser and elite. Also the Schecter C-1 blackjack ATX looks good!

Thank you very much guys It's really appreciated!
Chris

E-Married to Funny_Page
American made Jackson Soloist kills. I don't have one, but playing them, they are the best, and I'm asking for a one for my birthday. I like them better than my Gibsons. Try one out.
Quote by DroppedOnHead
American made Jackson Soloist kills. I don't have one, but playing them, they are the best, and I'm asking for a one for my birthday. I like them better than my Gibsons. Try one out.

Those are out of the price range TS stated by more than a little and he also said that he didn't want a Jackson.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

the ec-1000 is nothing like a les paul mate (only the general body shape is familiar territory), it's a lot thinner, doesn't wreck your ribs and sounds very different.

you can get a hard-tail mh-1000 (which has a carved top, as opposed to the flat top m series) but i think it comes with passive duncans.

go to a shop and try them out. don't order something off the internet on impulse.
Quote by haz_uk
the ec-1000 is nothing like a les paul mate (only the general body shape is familiar territory), it's a lot thinner, doesn't wreck your ribs and sounds very different.

you can get a hard-tail mh-1000 (which has a carved top, as opposed to the flat top m series) but i think it comes with passive duncans.

go to a shop and try them out. don't order something off the internet on impulse.

Ahhh thats very good to know! I was hoping the ec - 1000's were different, thats the (only) problem I have with my Les Paul, that its rather big and cumbersome when it comes to playing it standing up.

I really like the hard tail MH - 1000's! I love the carved top, pointed headstock and the quilted maple, the passive duncan's don't really matter though, can always swap them if I didn't like the tone! Never had a problem with Seymour Duncan's though so I can expect good tone!

I'll definately go to some shops and try them out, it would be very foolish not to.
I've narrowed down the choices too, if only LTD made a hardtail MH-1000 in See Through Blue or Black
Oh well, time for the internetz research!

Thanks for your help Haz-uk!
Chris

E-Married to Funny_Page
also, i think the only difference between the 400 and 1000 series ltds for their respective models are merely cosmetic.

the 1000s have abalone body and neck binding. the 400 series might include a certain colour you're after, without the added bling.

i've been on the esp site and seen an mh-400nt with a quilted grey/black top - looks like your kinda thing. also, if you're set on ordering online, thomann.de have a great esp selection. it's a german site but they ship internationally and have a good reputation.
Quote by haz_uk
also, i think the only difference between the 400 and 1000 series ltds for their respective models are merely cosmetic.

the 1000s have abalone body and neck binding. the 400 series might include a certain colour you're after, without the added bling.

i've been on the esp site and seen an mh-400nt with a quilted grey/black top - looks like your kinda thing. also, if you're set on ordering online, thomann.de have a great esp selection. it's a german site but they ship internationally and have a good reputation.

Ahh i've heard about the 400 and 1000 series being only aesthetically different, made in the same factory in South Korea too apparently. I rather like the abalone binding though, makes the guitar stand out and add a certain nice quality to it without making a guitar look overly metal but more classy. I'll check it out anyhow!

I'll go onto Thomann now and have a mooch round see if there are any models out there that catch my eye.
I'm not in the market to buy one at the moment (need to persuade the parents that I can spend all my birthday money on it instead of driving lessons/needing for Uni).
Also NAMM 09 is a few days away so would be worth browsing at the new products.

Thanks again Haz! I'll add you because you seem like a dude
Chris

E-Married to Funny_Page
Schecter Hellraiser C1
Gear:
Guitars:
Schecter Hellraiser C1 FR (black cherry)
Schecter Tempest Custom (white)
Amps:
Line6 Bogner Spider Valve 112
Line6 Spider III 75
Pedals:
Dime Crybaby
Update time

Been searching around the internet (mainly the ESP website as I have my heart set on an ESP or LTD at the current time) Of course i'll try the one's I like out to make sure it's the one for me.

I stumbled across the ESP standard range, notably the Horizon II range, and fell in love with the ESP Horizon NT II in blue. Its everything i'm looking in for a metal guitar, just a shame it's got a whopping pricetag (which hopefully i'll just try to save the extra bit of cash for).

1st choice: ESP Horizon NT II - Blue
2nd choice: LTD MH-1000 hardtail, I love the guitar, I just hate the colours it comes in
3rd choice: LTD H-1001 In blue, if not the black one with EMG's - but the pricetag for the latter isn't good.

Are these good? I'm just not a big fan on the headstock of the H-1001, if it had the headstock of the MH series, or if the MH series came in blue (hardtail) i'd buy one straightaway!
Fingers crossed for NAMM!

E-Married to Funny_Page
you pretty much can't go wrong with an ESP standard series. Save up for it, you'll be glad you did
Gear:

Jackson Mark Morton Dominion
Mesa Dual Rect 2 Channel
Marshall JCM900 1960 cab
Schecter FTW. Can't beat the quality for the price. Just got a nice white C-1 FR for $345 new off ebay.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Okay heres an update guys!

Me and my mum have decided that between us after i've finished college we will each go half on the cost of the guitar I choose.

Now the guitar's in question are between two!

ESP Horizon NT II - Hardtail in blue: Utterly perfect for me (might switch them for active pickups and chrome pickup rings but thats just nit-picking! The problem is justifying the price tag! £1199 ish so £600 each.

LTD MH-1000FR - Blue: Pretty much perfect except i'm having doubts about the Floyd Rose, after pissing round with the vibrato on my squier I enjoyed bombing away and generally having fun, but then it hit me that I wanted a "metal" guitar so I can have it in a lot of different tunings. I could invest in a tremol-no and block it until I want more fun, but the whole restringing business does seem like a pain in the arse to me (and i'm lazy).
£840ish so £420 each.

Which one would you advise? Also as another off topic question, is there a hardtail bridge that you can replace the Floyd Rose with?

E-Married to Funny_Page