I have a Vox Valvetronix ADV50T 112 50 watt combo amp. I help lead a worship team at my church, and so usually I have a line out from the headphone line because the other line out requires phantom power. It sounds fine plugged into the soundboard like this, but when I play through the amp by itself(during practice), the sound comes in and out. I believe it is the amp's speaker.

1. Is there anything else that could be wrong with it?

2. If I need to replace the speaker, should I buy a speaker with the same max wattage as the amp, or something more powerful?

3. Is replacing the speaker an easy task? I have been playing guitar for about 5 years, adjusted action, know how to restring, etc.

4. Are there any specific instructions I should follow when I do it?

5. Are there any suggestions as to what would be the best speaker for my music style? I like to play metal, ska, classic rock, stuff like that.

I was looking at this one:

Patriot
Last edited by tehpastaboy at Jan 12, 2009,
Speakers dont come and go. If its blown it will sound bad all the time or not work. Its gonna be something internal on the power amp. As headphones and line out are probably just the preamp section.
Quote by Tackleberry
Speakers dont come and go. If its blown it will sound bad all the time or not work. Its gonna be something internal on the power amp. As headphones and line out are probably just the preamp section.

Concur. Maybe a bad output transformer, bad output tubes (I worked on a guy's one time where the little ring inside that the getter is fired from borke lose and was rattling around inside the tube, causing intermittant shorts). Could be all sorts of things...probably not the speaker though.

Try it through a different cab to verify your theory before you take anything apart.
Quote by kcdakrt
DLrocket89 makes my ug experience better!

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial