I have a B.C. Rich Warlock guitar. I also have short hands and fat finger tips, so I'm constently muting strings I dont want to. I have been playing the guitar for about a year and no matter how slow i go or how much practice I do I just can't seem to position my fingers properly where they won't mute the other strings. Anybody have suggestions on a better brand of guitar to use? I dont need advice on how to position my hands or finger tips, I got that down.
thiner neck might help.

EDIT: oh wait you said brand, brand name dosent designate a specific neck size, your going to have to go and try out a few guitars till you find one that works for you.
Last edited by ethan_hanus at Jan 12, 2009,
Quote by HeavyMetalFREEK
I have a B.C. Rich Warlock guitar. I also have short hands and fat finger tips, so I'm constently muting strings I dont want to. I have been playing the guitar for about a year and no matter how slow i go or how much practice I do I just can't seem to position my fingers properly where they won't mute the other strings. Anybody have suggestions on a better brand of guitar to use? I dont need advice on how to position my hands or finger tips, I got that down.

Changing guitar won't change a thing, what you need is practice so man up and get back in the woodshed.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by ethan_hanus
thiner neck might help.

EDIT: oh wait you said brand, brand name dosent designate a specific neck size, your going to have to go and try out a few guitars till you find one that works for you.

Ummm actually it does ibanez and jackson generally have thinner necks while gibson necks tend to be thicker, necks dont vary too widely within a certain brand but between brands they do.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
I don't know about BC Rich necks, but I do know that most Ibanez models have Thin Wizard necks.
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
I have the same problem with muting strings, the guy at the guitar shop said I could get a guitar with a wider string spacing but they start at $1500.
Have you tried changing you thumb/wrist position to see if the different angle lets you play without muting strings? And are your fingernails short enough to use then end of your finger instead of the fat bit?
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Changing guitar won't change a thing, what you need is practice so man up and get back in the woodshed.

I'm just going to have to quote myself, I'm fed up of my good advice being ignored now.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.