after being reported in the songwriting and lyrics forum, i'm moving it here

Not lyrics here, just something that really bothers me...
I only seem to be able to write songs and lyrics when I'm sad, and the most depressed I am the better my lyrics are and the better my songs are... and I only get bursts of inspiration which means that I only am able to write some times, so in the end I can't compose and write whenever I want to but only when I feel like it... don't know if it makes sense

anyways, if it does, is there any way to control that and to be able to write anytime? it worries me alot and everytime an inspiration burst stops I feel like i'll never be able to write again..
1. inspiration is myth.
2. it is hard to write when stressed about the future, past, and present of your writing
3. write whenever you want to, why do something that doesnt make you happy?
well that's the thing, i can't write whenever i want, i try and no words come out, and when i actually am inspired, i barely have to think to write lyrics, and i've piled notebooks this way, and i've written so many songs i can't count them, but all of this is starting to fade, i'm writing less and less and it worries me D=
Why don't you read through those piles of notebooks and see which songs are best and write music to those lyrics? You can also change words if they need improvement, that way you could stop writing lyrics for a long time and then when you go back you might be able to write again.
When i write lyrics i imagine myself in a small black box and let the creativity flow through me. and when i get a song completed i wont stop tell i record it.
Singer/Songwriter/Guitarist/Bassit/Drummer/Screamer/Marocka Shaker/Flute Tamer/Bio Chemical Robot Lover/Holographic Charizard owner/ Industrial waste polutionier/Stoner
Quote by Darkflame
well that's the thing, i can't write whenever i want, i try and no words come out, and when i actually am inspired, i barely have to think to write lyrics, and i've piled notebooks this way, and i've written so many songs i can't count them, but all of this is starting to fade, i'm writing less and less and it worries me D=

IMO, you need to learn to write a completely different way. Moments of emotional inspiration are fine and dandy, but they lend themselves to cheesy, overly sentimental music and a library of songs that all sound the same.

Why don't you start with some writing excercises--look up poety writing excercises on google, they'll work for songwriting as well. It will feel unnatural to simply write as if it were work-filling out the steps of the excercise- and the songs will of course suck initially, but it must be done.

here are some of my favorites, which I have listed in this forum quite a few times already:

Read the newspaper-write a song about a story in it.
Pick a person you know but aren't that close to--write about an imagined day/relationship they would have
Pick 3 disparate images that each have impact without being cliche--build a song around them (it doesn't need a cohesive story)
Write about having writers block--you're well on your way

No offense, but If all your best lyrics come when you're sad, you really need a change of pace as your repetoir will become heavy-handed and cheesy pretty quickly. A better writer than me said that you don't write in the heat of emotion, writing poetry/songs should be about "emotions recollected in tranquility"

Work hard and grind out crap till you get something good. You'll write less quickly, but that's always a good thing for every writer. Means there's more thought in your work. And authentic emotions are just a load of sentimental tripe if there's not good thought behind the way they're expressed.
Last edited by dullsilver_mike at Jan 13, 2009,
Quote by dullsilver_mike
IMO, you need to learn to write a completely different way. Moments of emotional inspiration are fine and dandy, but they lend themselves to cheesy, overly sentimental music and a library of songs that all sound the same.

Why don't you start with some writing excercises--look up poety writing excercises on google, they'll work for songwriting as well. It will feel unnatural to simply write as if it were work-filling out the steps of the excercise- and the songs will of course suck initially, but it must be done.

here are some of my favorites, which I have listed in this forum quite a few times already:

Read the newspaper-write a song about a story in it.
Pick a person you know but aren't that close to--write about an imagined day/relationship they would have
Pick 3 disparate images that each have impact without being cliche--build a song around them (it doesn't need a cohesive story)
Write about having writers block--you're well on your way

No offense, but If all your best lyrics come when you're sad, you really need a change of pace as your repetoir will become heavy-handed and cheesy pretty quickly. A better writer than me said that you don't write in the heat of emotion, writing poetry/songs should be about "emotions recollected in tranquility"

Work hard and grind out crap till you get something good. You'll write less quickly, but that's always a good thing for every writer. Means there's more thought in your work. And authentic emotions are just a load of sentimental tripe if there's not good thought behind the way they're expressed.

thanks, that helped
big hug to you

even though it doesn't fit here, i have the same problem as for music composition, is there anything i can do about it ?
Quote by Darkflame
thanks, that helped
big hug to you

even though it doesn't fit here, i have the same problem as for music composition, is there anything i can do about it ?

I have been super repetative with music composition. I took a semester of music theory and piano tech class for my own enjoyment (I'm not a music major or even an undergrad student at this point) and that has helped me innovate a bit. I really suggest any musician feeling stagnant in composition to take some heavy duty piano lessons--it helps with writing so much, plus it's a new skill to add to your muiscal repetoir, so it's really win win (assuming you're not already a pianist).
We all have our ups and downs, bub.

Some people find it easier to express themselves during their downs. Nothing wrong with that. But instead of writing and focusing on what depresses you, try instead to find a way out of it through the song writing and get it off your chest.

The beginning of the song can be in a depressed manner, and then you gradually work past it and lift the mood towards the end of the song.