Page 1 of 2
I'm selling my Peavey VK112, way too muddy. I want cleaner overdrives, I want to hear the notes. Peavey can't supply that. Orange can how ever, I love Orange amps, but they're too expensive for me. What kind of amp can give me a sound like Orange, is cheap, and would be good for small gigs (like loud bars, coffee houses, school auditoriums)?

Like cheap I mean $400 max probably.
You can get a Palomino V50 from Musician's Friend for $350... they're sort of Marshally, which I guess is sort of Orangey.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I'm not a Marshall guy for some reason.

How are Peavey Windsors? They seem like they're made for some vintage things.
Marshall JTM30?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Its the VK's speaker.
Replace it with a nice 100-200 dollar one and you'll get the muddy sounds out of it.
Honestly you aren't going to get anything very much better than a VK with $400

But who knows, UG might be able to find something for you.
Maybe something used..?
Yeah, I'm looking through Craigslist and stuff, I really want a Bugera 6262 Half Stack, total costs like $800. Maybe I should save up or sell some crap.
Replace the VK speaker with something good, like a Celestion G12T or an Eminence of some sort. That should sort out the mud, or maybe an EQ pedal could help some.
Quote by TSelman

How are Peavey Windsors? They seem like they're made for some vintage things.

Honestly i doubt it'd be much of an improvement from a VK.

You could always check out the Vox Valvetronix line. Orange is brit-voiced and i'd imagine the vox is mostly brit-voiced amps as well.
Quote by Pac_man0123
Honestly i doubt it'd be much of an improvement from a VK.

You could always check out the Vox Valvetronix line. Orange is brit-voiced and i'd imagine the vox is mostly brit-voiced amps as well.

I love Vox but not their Valvetronix lines. I really want an AC50, way above my budget still.

Quote by KG6_Steven
Just say no to Bugera. They're made by Behringer. Need I say more?

Almost all videos of the 6262 head I've liked so far.

---

BTW, I'll be playing through a PRS Custom 24 SE. I play all kinds of metal, all kinds of rock, progressive stuff, and I like a variations of cleans.
Last edited by TSelman at Jan 12, 2009,
Quote by TSelman
Yeah, I'm looking through Craigslist and stuff, I really want a Bugera 6262 Half Stack, total costs like $800. Maybe I should save up or sell some crap.

you just gave yourself the best advice so far

also look into a B-52 AT-112 if you can't manage to spend more cash
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by TSelman

In that case why do you want the sound of an Orange?
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
i would save $100 and get a laney LC15, or LC15R. or save 200 and get a Vox AC15 or a Peavey classic 30 (best choice IMO)
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Quote by Yngwi3
In that case why do you want the sound of an Orange?

I hear a difference from Marshalls and Oranges.
i own an orange and ive played marshalls...i wouldnt say orange is a marshall sound...they both fall under british voicing but they are unique. i liked the jcm800 for high gain **** but orange is tasty for everything...i'd get a tiny terror.
Gear:
Orange Rockerverb 100
Orange 4x12
Standard Tele
Ltd EC-400
Boss Super Chorus
Cry Baby
15" MacBook Pro
Akai MPD 24
Quote by TSelman

Both are very British, middy amps which are great for rock and if overdriven can be pretty decent for some metal.
That Vox will sound somewhat cleaner I guess - think The Who and AC/DC for Orange's spectrum and stuff like Oasis for the Vox.
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Last edited by Yngwi3 at Jan 12, 2009,
Good luck finding a tube amp thats $400
Quote by rancidryan
Do they come with heroin because I heard thats the only reason Dave Mustaine used them

"The power of the riff compels me"
Bury Me In Smoke
Quote by Flying Afros
Good luck finding a tube amp thats $400

Not a good one.
Get a used tiny terror and VJ cab or something like that. No pedal will sound like an orange.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by KG6_Steven
Just say no to Bugera. They're made by Behringer. Need I say more?

Click on the link in my sig, it compares a Bugera to a $2,000 Soldano. If theres that much of difference to you, ah well, your ears not mine. (I mean to say that there IS a difference, but which one is four times more than the other in price?)

Peavey Windsors are ****, I knew they would start getting recommended here. They may be cheap, but the cab is loaded with 4 POS speakers.

Reguarding the Valveking and a speaker swap, almost any amp with some high end speakers will sound a hundred times better. Replacing the speaker is still an option, its just that so many people say to swap tubes/speakers on VK's, and if I were to do that on almost any amp, it would sound spectacular.
Quote by TSelman

What Marshalls have you been trying?
Quote by JilaX^

Sadly I've just played my friends MG series and that pushed me away from Marshalls a while ago.

Same thing happened with Schecter, people love 'em, I played my friends crappy one, and I hated Schecter.
Quote by TSelman
Sadly I've just played my friends MG series and that pushed me away from Marshalls a while ago.

Oh dear.
Please do not let the awful first impression left on you by the MG colour your view of Marshall - their valve amps are totally different beasts. The JCM800 is one of the most important amps in history.
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

Quote by TSelman

Same thing happened with Schecter, people love 'em, I played my friends crappy one, and I hated Schecter.

I was considering to say: "If you say that you played the MG series or the AVT series, I will slap you with a trout", but I realized the odds for this being true was rather high.

MG =/= Marshall.

It only says so on the front. It was originally another companies amp, and is nothing but a money making machine.

Take a good word of advice here and check out some good marshalls, I'd reccomend perhaps a JTM 30.
Quote by JilaX^

They ARE different. Oranges are much darker. Marshalls are much more bright and broad sounding. Although yes, they are in the same class.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Marshall and Orange sound nothing like each other. If you think they do, you need to get your ears checked....
Quote by dcdossett65
They ARE different. Oranges are much darker. Marshalls are much more bright and broad sounding. Although yes, they are in the same class.

Oh yes, of course they sound different, but as I suspected he's probably looking for a Marshall sound, not knowing that that is what is, considering he's only played an MG and judges if because of that.
Save up some more money and get a Peavey Classic 30 and put a Celestion Vintage 30 in there.

All oranges use vintage 30s, so if you want your amp to sound closer to an orange, use a vintage 30. Any other speaker won't bring you as close to an orange tone.

You can always see how the v30 makes your vk sound.
My band.
www.myspace.com/bransonny

My gear.
Marshall: JCM800 2205, 6100, 1960AV
H&K: Triamp MKII, Duotone
Mesa: Recto recording pre, 212
2 Avatar 412 (v30's)
Gibson: LP std, SG std, SG goth, SG spec
G&L ASAT classic
Martin DC-16GTE
I'd stay away from the AC15 - very limited amp, and not on the same level as the AC30.

So, used AC30?
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2
Omega Amps Hot Rod Deluxe (Dumble mod)
Clean/Drive/More Drive footswitch
Mid boost/Preamp boost footswitch

myspace.com/rosscooperband
Page 1 of 2