So... Turn on the Peavey for a jam as usual wait 1 min e.t.c.

Start playing and it sounds crap
Same on all the channels so I look at the valves and they have a blue-ish colour I haven't seen before...

Basically I don't have a CLUE what I need to do or what I need to buy Way over my head.
Matrix, Unsigned, Riffhog, what ones do I buy? You know what music I like

I've heard something about biasing valve amps but I've also heard that the 6505 hasa fixed bias so I don't need to bias them? What the hell? Haha.
Oh and does each one need to go into a particular terminal or something?

Help me GG&A, I need valves and I need 'em quick Preferrably cheap too but if it's not going to be amazingly cheap I guess I'll have to suck it up.

Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
contact a good tube distributor in the UK, and tell them you have a stock 6505. It's non adjustable fixed bias, so unless it was modded, there is no bias pot. Any good tube dealer should be able to test a quad of power tubes to run correctly in the 5150/6505 however. Personally, I like the Ruby 6L6GCMSTR I tried first, but a lot of people recommended the JJ6L6 to me. You don't have to worry about biasing preamp tubes, but you'll want to change at least the PI/driver tube.

edit: just realized, you had a +. That has a bias pot, although the sweep is very small. It's really not even wide enough to get most tubes running hot.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at Jan 12, 2009,
Right... so what does this mean Eric?

WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN?!?

Man I should learn about this shit

Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

The 6505+ has an adjustable bias but its sweep is very minimal, I doubt that has anything to do with what you're experiencing.

Sounds like dead preamp tubes to me, 6L6s will glow blue, that's normal. Unless you're experiencing a volume drop, it's most likely not power tubes.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Jan 12, 2009,
Yes, I've experienced a volume and significant gain drop.
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

Quote by Yngwi3
Yes, I've experienced a volume and significant gain drop.

Then in that case, power tubes are definitely dying. Possibly preamps, but I'd just try switching out the power tubes since you're low on cash, see if that takes care of it.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Any recommendations? I know you're in the US but...
Oh and you're back from your ban I just realised woop.
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

Since you're low on cash, proably just grab some sovteks. JJ's aren't that expensive either but they actually sound GOOD. If it's fixed bias, then you don't need to bias it.
I don't mind spending a little extra if it's going to be the difference between making it sound f*cking awesome or god damn awful

YNGEDIT:
Yep, it's the...poweramp valves... the big ones
Just put the volume up to 5 and whilst picking softly (on the lead channel) it sounded as clean as the clean channel normally does, and the harder I picked the brighter the blue illuminated on all of the valves. Sounded ****ing horrible too, like a huge mass of gain and no definition whatsoever
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

Last edited by Yngwi3 at Jan 12, 2009,
Yeah, I really reccommend the JJ's. They're pretty cheap but are nice. kinda dark though. You won't sound awful with sovteks, just not as good
Hmm... That's a litttle expensive
I think I've found some JJ's on good ol' Eurotubes... These the ones you're talking about?

https://ssl.eurotubes.com/cart/index.php?page=view_products&category_id=3&sub_category_id=20
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

Quote by MatrixClaw
The 6505+ has an adjustable bias but its sweep is very minimal, I doubt that has anything to do with what you're experiencing.

Sounds like dead preamp tubes to me, 6L6s will glow blue, that's normal. Unless you're experiencing a volume drop, it's most likely not power tubes.

I've had preamp tubes die and experience a volume drop as well. When they're not pushing any signal into the power section you're not going to have the same volume as before.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Eurgh. So I guess EL34's are a nono?

YNGEDIT:
Have I found the answer?
https://ssl.eurotubes.com/cart/index.php?page=view_products&category_id=3&sub_category_id=22
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

http://www.watfordvalves.com/mainindex.htm

Quite a good UK distributor. It's where I bought mine for my 5150.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Awesome, will check them out

YNGEDIT: God their website's awful
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

Rrrright you are.
I'll give them a call tomorrow and pray they can do super duper fast shipping

When they arrive, do I need to know anything about how to take my old ones out/how to put the new ones in? Do I need to drain the power of the capacitors or anything and does each valve have to go into a specific slot?
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

Pull out the old ones and put in the new ones
You don't need to put them in a specific order, just the right type of slots
Fucking awesome
As long as it sounds a bit better than a pile of wank, like it does now, and it isn't going to kill me I'll be happy
I seem to be merging info from preamp valves haha - slots v1 v2 v3 & v4 I guess only relate to preamp valves, not poweramp valves?
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

Quote by Yngwi3
Do I need to drain the power of the capacitors or anything and does each valve have to go into a specific slot?

Just pull out the old ones and put the new ones in, I really wouldn't even bother with biasing the 6505+, the sweep does little to nothing

When you order them, tell them you're putting the tubes in a 6505+ and he'll give you something tested to work well in them. Since you'll be ordering a matched quad, it really doesn't matter which slots you put each one in, but normally you'd put matched pairs in certain slots. The 2 inner slots for one pair and the two outer for the other.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Hey mate I run JJ's in my pre and poewr amp sections of my 6505 and it sounds awesome.

I buy mine from here - Banzai
Guitars:
LTD MHNT250 (Bare Knuckle Warpig in Bridge)
AMP/Cab:
Peavey 6505
Marshall 1960A Cab
Rack:
Korg DTR-1000 Rack Tuner
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
DBX 266 XL Compressor
Check out my band!:
Revenance
Got my JJ's today and fitted them no problem - sounds sweet So much less...ice-picky at high end and a much bigger low end Love it

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=160283373525

Don't know if you can tell me if they're high end/low end, but they're a hell of a lot better than the Sovteks you get stock and I didn't think that they were too badly priced either for a matched quad

Anyway, cheers guys
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

Quote by Yngwi3
Got my JJ's today and fitted them no problem - sounds sweet So much less...ice-picky at high end and a much bigger low end Love it

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=160283373525

Don't know if you can tell me if they're high end/low end, but they're a hell of a lot better than the Sovteks you get stock and I didn't think that they were too badly priced either for a matched quad

Anyway, cheers guys

JJ's are great, great value. I retubed all 8 tubes in my Mesa with JJ's for £90, including next day delivery. That was hotrox.co.uk, i reccommend that shop for anyone in the UK wanting to buy any type of tube

JJ's arent perticully high end, not in price anyway, but plenty of people use them as apposed to their stock tubes.
Okay well seeing as this thread's resolved, I may as well post the reason I needed them quite quickly

Our band's first practice in the living room under my bedroom:

And the family picture

Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace