http://www.deanguitars.com/timecapsule/inventoryV.html

Does anyone know any guitar builders that make a V in this colour, and with good woods?

I don't want to go with Dean because the QC is balls. At least on their Dimebag signature guitars it is.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
I really don't think Dean guitars are as bad as people make out to be on these forums. On other websites Ive seen people with large collections of the 79 series, paying thousands of £'s and that wouldn't make sense at all if they where bad guitars. A lot of people here seem to jump on 'The Bandwagon' and say Deans are crap because a few people have said so, then it all blows out of proportion. It's the same case with other brands like Washburn being named as a bad brand (Which they are definitely not) and other brands. Sorry about the little rant.
I say go and try one of the deans, then make a decision. You might love it, you might hate it. But its the same case with any brand.
And I don't know of any other V's in that colour, sorry.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the Dimabag deans are not probably not worth the price unless your a huge Dimebag fan, because your essentially paying for the name Dime. I haven't tried one myself though.
Last edited by Spudderz at Jan 12, 2009,
I wouldn't touch a "Dimebag" Dean- really, I'd avoid most artist signature models by any maker- but I've owned a Time Capsule Caddy for several years and love it. Once I got it set up the way I wanted it, it's been sheer bliss to play...and no "issues" beyond a little burr on the bridge that was taken care of in a few minutes.

As for the woods, you have a problem with flamed maple capped mahogany?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 12, 2009,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
I wouldn't touch a "Dimebag" Dean- really, I'd avoid most artist signature models by any maker- but I've owned a Time Capsule Caddy for several years and love it. Once I got it set up the way I wanted it, it's been sheer bliss to play...and no "issues" beyond a little burr on the bridge that was taken care of in a few minutes.

As for the woods, you have a problem with flamed maple capped mahogany?

I don't know about you, but I'd take a JEM 7v any day of the week.
PRS SE Singlecut
Bogner Alchemist 112 Combo
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Martin OM-1 and Backpacker Steel String
Seagull

Youtube Channel -Click Me Please-
Quote by V.U.K
http://www.deanguitars.com/timecapsule/inventoryV.html

Does anyone know any guitar builders that make a V in this colour, and with good woods?

I don't want to go with Dean because the QC is balls. At least on their Dimebag signature guitars it is.

I would guess its luck of the draw. My dean razorback V is great quality pure black and not so much a chip or scratch, everything is straight and the sound, action, feel is amazing. And the fact it came from EBAY makes it that much more amazing. (I would have never bought one but since it was $300 eh why not)

You may like this tho.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-Hellraiser-V1-Electric-Guitar?sku=515918
My friend has the regular Dean VX and I own a Dean ZX. Both excellent guitars. I prefer them over a Gibson Explorer or Gibson V.
Aren't the Time Capsules upwards of $2000 dollars, or something like that?

After searching around, I've realized that the Bang/Buck for the non-artist signature guitars is great. Especially with the ML, V and Z series guitars.

How are the '79 series guitars? I'm thinking about maybe getting a '79 Series Cherry Burst V, and then just swapping out the hardware with higher quality stuff.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
Quote by Chance125
I don't know about you, but I'd take a JEM 7v any day of the week.

That one might rate an exception, as might the Burns Brian May Red Special.

The reason I avoid artist models is that they generally- not always- have a "name" markup on them, partly a result of the royalty payment the guitar company pays the artist on each signature guitar sold, partly because the artist's name itself will increase the demand for the product (in economic terms, it decreases the product's elasticity of demand).

You can often get better bang for your buck going for a mid- to high- level version of the same guitar without the endorsement. I see that especially in something like the Dimebag Deans. Most of the features on those guitars besides the graphics on them are available on other, less expensive Deans.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by V.U.K
Aren't the Time Capsules upwards of $2000 dollars, or something like that?

The top ones- the ones loaded with 3 pickups, special woods, etc., do. Some of them can be had for just under that mark, though.

After searching around, I've realized that the Bang/Buck for the non-artist signature guitars is great. Especially with the ML, V and Z series guitars.

How are the '79 series guitars? I'm thinking about maybe getting a '79 Series Cherry Burst V, and then just swapping out the hardware with higher quality stuff.

Because I bought my Deans through Murphy's (see below), they're now one of the major Dean sellers in the region (I'm in Dallas/Fort Worth). The locals (at least the rockers) seem to think they're delivering more for the money than the Fenders and Gibsons that have dominated the market down here.

The owners say they've virtually been selling themselves- a lot of the local metalheads are now walking in trying to decide between Ibanez and Dean guitars.

I can't say I've actually played any of the '79's, but if they are what they say they are- manufactured to the specs of the Deans made in 1979- they should be pretty good axes.

On Dean's site, the guy from Soil waxes eloquently about his '79, and there are several vids about them out there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyWVqLrSVlE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHdyYWD0Fwg&feature=related

This guy yaks a lot, but after about 4 minutes, he starts to play his new '79 ML. Best of all, he's a regular schmoe- and he talks about what he expects in this price range...and what about the ML surprised him.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IInL7zjmo8&feature=related

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 12, 2009,
every brand has bad guitars, it is all about what you pay for. but sometimes it turns into pumping out large amounts of shoddy guitars with someones name on it at high prices to make a profit from fanboys who cream themselves at the mention of a guitarists name (i mean you, slash fanboys).

that being said, yes alot of the deans which have dimes name on it (which is probably about 65-70% of there products) aren't that great, but alot of there other models, and especially there older models are really nice to play.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

along with fire escape routes...