alright i just got a new bass and my old one was sitting in the corner unused, so i decided id try to tune it to A. Is this bad for the guitar if 'm using the normal strings? Also could it be bad for my playing, i tried playing it and after a while my wrist started to hurt a bit.
wakka wakka wakka wakka
Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join!
The strings will be rediculously tight. It'll need neck work. Try using a light guage, too.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
well it does work and i like the tone that i get out of it, and despite the tightness of the strings it feels really good playing it for some reason, all i wanna know is if it will do permanent damage to my bass.
wakka wakka wakka wakka
worst case scenario is the that strings will pull so hard on the neck that the neck will bend forward..that's very hard to fix..there needs to be a balance of tension against the fretboard but too much definitely is not good nor recommended..
Or you could do what i do, i buy a six string set and get rid of the E and B strings. Voila A D G C.
Go on eBay and search for the strings you need for your tuning. I got my ADGC flatwounds from 3 different people. Cost me £10. There's a strange market for second hand strings on eBay actually, if you're ever desperate for money, put them on eBay. It seems a lot of people crave the tone from well used strings.
Buy the right strings or your bass will have forward neck dive problems
DB Player
if i get the adgc strings wouldnt that mean i would have to change the nut?
wakka wakka wakka wakka
Ive never had a problem with it, although im pretty sure the string tree helps.