I may sound like a n00b, but, I've never been able to do this right..

It's like alternative picking, but on an actual power chord. when i try it sounds horrible. is it something to do with my pick or just lack of technique? I've been playing for a good 5 years and can't get it right.
Equipment:
Guitars:
Epiphone Explorer Goth
Squier Stratocaster
Amps:
Peavey Bandit 112 80w
Peavey KB300 130w
Park Marshall 15w
Pedals:
Digitech Whammy IV
Mics:
Beyerdynamic M69TG
Trem picking?
Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who...
Quote by Necrophagist777
I'm ORION, LORD OF EVIL, give me your soul and breathe in my darkness.

YOU WILL NOT ENJOY THIS......
╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮
it will sound different on the upstroke than it did on the downstroke. if you look at some tabs, many artists use strict downstrokes when struming power chords. there isnt anything wrong with your technique really, its just the nature of the thing.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
you mean you do, for exmple, a power chord on the 5th fret 6th string. first a downpick, and up to that point, everything is alrigth, but when you uppick, it sounds bad?

well, if that is the problem, i don't know how bad does it sound, but i warn you, when power "chording", it sounds better to downpick, cause the attack that the pick has when downpicking, so maybe it doesn't sound bad at all, it just sound less powerful (slightly less powerful) than when downpickin... and hat is normal and there's nothing wrong.

if it sounds totally different, the problem maybe your uppickin technique, or maybe you don't fret with enough strenght the strings below the root note. that would be the 5th (or 4th if you play power chords with three fingers), and if you fret with little strengh, a hard picking will make that string sound awful, and therefore, everything will sound awful...

hope this was helpful
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
You mean like Dragonforce type picking on the verses? Angle the pick a little bit.
That's exactly it, when I bring my pick back up it sounds terrible. I've tried angling my pick but it just makes it get caught on the strings whilst bringing it up. It sounds like I'm scraping it across a wall or something.

Alot of the music I play uses this picking style and it's too fast to normally strum a palm muted chord that fast.
Equipment:
Guitars:
Epiphone Explorer Goth
Squier Stratocaster
Amps:
Peavey Bandit 112 80w
Peavey KB300 130w
Park Marshall 15w
Pedals:
Digitech Whammy IV
Mics:
Beyerdynamic M69TG
I dunno it might be but I don't pick very hard in the first place. I'll try to pick softer. Thanks.
Equipment:
Guitars:
Epiphone Explorer Goth
Squier Stratocaster
Amps:
Peavey Bandit 112 80w
Peavey KB300 130w
Park Marshall 15w
Pedals:
Digitech Whammy IV
Mics:
Beyerdynamic M69TG
Quote by jotty
I dunno it might be but I don't pick very hard in the first place. I'll try to pick softer. Thanks.

It's not really about picking hard but how much of the actual pick you let strike the strings; most people who play fast don't let more than about 1-2 mm of the pick string the strings.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Well, about the downpicking thing...that's usually true, but if you are trying to play 16th notes at anything above 120 then alt picking is the way to go unless your downpicking technique is flat out awesome.

The problem I had/have(but less), was a lack of control on the upstrokes. Everything on the downstrokes was nice and tight and crunchy, on the upstrokes, not so much.
The thing is that everything is a bit different on the upstroke - for example, the exact position of your right hand to palm mute and such.

I'd start out with 2 note power chords. Set the tempo fairly low, like 100 bpm in 8th notes, and chug out a bars worth of power chords using only downpicking. Now repeat except using alt picking, and try to match the sound of the downpicked version as well as you can. It will always sound a little different, but keep experimenting with your picking hand positioning and the nature of the pick strokes, until you get it sounding good. One other thing - don't use open power chords for this exercise at first - it's easier to start with the fretted kind.