At some point in the near future, I want to put new pups in my Kramer Focus 4000. The current ones are way to bassy to me. One problem I have is I cannot for the life of me figure out what kind of wood the body is made out of, and google has been no help to me.

What I am looking for are pups that don't sound weak through my 5150 but sound good in clean and lower gain settings. I'm leaning to a SD JB/59 combo, but want to hear other suggestions.
jb's would probably do the job. actives would be a little too much imo
It's all about feel
No, stay away from Ed Roman as far as possible.
Check out vintagekramer.com
Your Focus 4000 is alder most likely and made in Japan by ESP. You can't go wrong with a JB in there as thats what most American Kramers had stock after Kramer switched from Schaller to Duncans as their main pickups.

Edit:
Ed Roman doesn't even sell proper Kramers. They are parts mutts, non original paintjobs and so on and just like his other stuff wants way more then market value. The guy is a crook.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Last edited by DSOTM80 at Jan 12, 2009,
Quote by DSOTM80
No, stay away from Ed Roman as far as possible.
Check out vintagekramer.com
Your Focus 4000 is alder most likely and made in Japan by ESP. You can't go wrong with a JB in there as thats what most American Kramers had stock after Kramer switched from Schaller to Duncans as their main pickups.

Edit:
Ed Roman doesn't even sell proper Kramers. They are parts mutts, non original paintjobs and so on and just like his other stuff wants way more then market value. The guy is a crook.

Looks like I have the Schaller zebra pups in there now according to that site. I couldn't find a specific reference to the body wood for my guitar.

Do you recall what the Vanguards had in the neck? I'm guessing a Jazz or Full Shred, and for what I want to use a Jazz is looking like the better option.
I'm not sure, but you could email the guys at Vintage Kramer and they'd let you know or join the forum and ask there as theres a lot of guys who knows their stuff.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst