i can never seem to get the pull off to be loud enough or without hitting the string under it. am i supposed to mute the string under the string im pulling off of everytime? it seems easier to pulloff and "flick" my finger upward toward the air, but everyone says to pull it down toward the ground. also, any advice for how to practice? thanks
Well when you do pull-offs the first step is to make sure you have the lower fret properly fretted so that the note rings out clearly after you pull-off

Assuming you do that, yes, pulling down towards the ground is definitely the better way.

I would suggest pulling off with your ring finger to a fret 2 steps lower that is fretted with your index finger (like pull off from 7 to 5 on the B string)

you dont have to bend it way out and then pull off. Just a quick pull-off works good

You dont need to push down much harder than you usually would for normal fretting, just let the strings slip out from under your finger

And quick get that finger out of the way so the string resonates

To be honest its just a matter of practice. The more you do it, you will realize what you can do to make it better
I've found that when I do a pulloff with any kind of authority I do hit the string below it, but with a little practice I was able to use that method in a way that mutes that string instead of making it ring. Also, in cases where that might be audible, like when you have a lot of gain, it's less important for your pull-off to be loud, so just pulling up can suffice. Your technique can vary to meet the needs of the specific application.
Yeah, Jim is right.....more distortion = easier pull-offs

However use heavy distortion sparingly.....some people crank their gain up to 5:00 and get terrible buzzing and squealing sounds.....try to balance distortion/volume and technique. More distortion makes everything easier, but you sacrifice tone and technique for that!

Btw, when I said earlier about pulling off from like fret 7 to fret 5, I was merely suggesting that to practice, since it's a common and easy pull-off. You can pull off and hammer on whatever frets you want!

Don't forget to try tapping later on once you master basic hammering and pulling
You got too dig into it hard. Work on being able to pulloff just as loudly as you can pick. You will hit sourounding strings at first, but keep at it and you will get more acurate. Remember you dont just lift your finger, you need to get some of your skin under the string and pull it back.
Quote by Gabel
You are EXTREMELY WRONG! I have played it. I own an 18W and it would be an awful stereo amp, it's way too bright, breaks up too easily and so on. Secondly, why would a guitar store sell an hifi amp.
with enough amplification, pulloffs practically do themselves. You just slide your finger off the string.

Doing pull-offs on an acoustic require a little more oomph.
Yeah I'm trying hard to get them nice neat and consistent on my acoustic so they fall in place when I'm plugged in.
Into the flood again...
I don't think you can do pulloffs without hitting the string below (towards ground) so I'd suggest use your 1st finger and lay it lightly across the strings to mute.