Price range is around 500 or lower... wanting a decent metal intermediate guitar for playability and quality

What brand and specific model would be better?
Jacksons?
Schecters?
Ibanezez?
Epiphones?
Ltds?

and if your asking me what kind of sound im wanting, i like stuff like Megadeth, Metallica, Fall of Troy, As blood runs black, the number 12 looks like you

kind of a broad range but what would fit this picture? :X
500 what? elephants?

Also need more info: body shape preference, trem wanted, active pups?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zachylike12
Price range is around 500 or lower... wanting a decent metal intermediate guitar for playability and quality

What brand and specific model would be better?
Jacksons?
Schecters?
Ibanezez?
Epiphones?
Ltds?

and if your asking me what kind of sound im wanting, i like stuff like Megadeth, Metallica, Fall of Troy, As blood runs black, the number 12 looks like you

kind of a broad range but what would fit this picture? :X

I would rule out Epiphones unless you already have a decent amplifier than you absolutely know can do Metal, cause any Epiphone wont do it on its own.

For that price range, I'd look into Ibanezes and LTD's, maybe Schecters (I dont know much about Jackson so I wont suggest anything).

Ibanez has tons of guitars right in that range or around $400-$600
Got a question about Baritone guitars? Feel free to PM me.

Thanks to UG, I converted from Metalcore to some "real" Metal.
I know its not on your list, but you can do pretty well in that price range with a Dean as long as you stay away from the "Dimebag" and other signature models, especially in the '79 reissues.

(http://www.bizrate.com/search__keyword--dean+79+guitar.html)
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
500 what? elephants?

Also need more info: body shape preference, trem wanted, active pups?

Okay well passive pickups for sure... any shape would do but i do like the les paul shape... my bro has Ltd EC-1000 and i like it... anything of 500 DOLLARS that would match that callibur?
Les Paul shape?

Dean's EVO is in that vein, and the Burl or the Special Select (I own one) are between $450-600.
http://www.instrumentpro.com/search.php?q=dean%20evo&p=1&store=1&Search_Type=AND&sort=2

Dean's Cadillacs are also nice (but then again, mine is a Time Capsule). Still, I'd consider some of the ones in your price range if buying today.
http://www.instrumentpro.com/search.php?q=dean%20cadillac&p=1&store=1&Search_Type=AND&sort=2
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 12, 2009,
Ibanez, Jackson, Schecter are all good metal brands

Epiphone not so much

Maybe check out the Ibanez RG series? They are decent guitars for the price, and center around metal playing

Of course I suggest them since I own an Ibanez RG1570 (which is actually of the "Prestige" series", but is similar to the regular RG series) and I love it. I don't usually use it for metal, though....

But it does it nicely when I do

Stay away from cheap locking tremolo systems (if you go that way)....they wear out

Ummm what else......

Ok basically look for a guitar with humbuckers that run pretty hot. Probably a thin neck would be best......

Seriously just try out some guitars and pick which one sounds the best to you.
If you dig the LP shape maybe check out some of the lower end LTD Ecllipse models, most of them play pretty nicely, although the pickups aren't fastastic on the really cheap ones. Maybe something like the LTD EC-400 or 500? From memory they come with Seymour Duncan pickups too
yeah im considering either EC-400 or 500 or a PRS SE custom.... both are a bit over 500 but a good bet i should think
I really don't know why everyone is saying to stay away from Epiphones, as long as you look at the higher end ones and make sure you try before you buy they're perfectly repectable guitars and to be honest ANY humbucker will give you a decent metal tone through a decent amp.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I really don't know why everyone is saying to stay away from Epiphones, as long as you look at the higher end ones and make sure you try before you buy they're perfectly repectable guitars and to be honest ANY humbucker will give you a decent metal tone through a decent amp.

+1
I have an Epi LP Studio and it pulls off all kinds of metal with no worries.
Check out the Ibanez RG series.
I have an RG370DX and really like it.
I'm not a Bible-thumper anymore. Realized I had a brain in '09.

I like guitars, running, and math.
I too have the RG370DX, the neck is fast and the floyd rose gets the job, even though it's a bitch to restring or drop tune, I prefer the Gibson Les Paul but I'm not a metal guru
I have an Ibanez S520EX, and I would say that it is a great guitar in that price range for metal. The neck is really fast, and the ZR tremolo is one of the best I have seen: restringing isn't very hard, and to change spring tension all you have to do is turn a knob. The pickups aren't anything amazing, but they put out a good tone for whatever you are playing.
Another Dean with a LP shape would be the Soltero.

They start just around $650, though.
http://www.instrumentpro.com/search.php?q=dean%20soltero&p=1&store=1&Search_Type=AND&sort=1

In addition, Dean Zelinsky's new company, DBZ guitars is just about off the ground- if you have the patience to wait for a price list, you might find a gem.

http://www.dbzguitars.com/web/collection.html

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 17, 2009,
Ibanez makes some of the best metal guitars out there. I don't have one, but I wish I had one and everytime I play one at the music store, I am in aw of how sweet they are.
I'd take an Ibanez or and LTD over the Jackson, for sure, with the Schecter coming in as my third choice. Dean makes some decent middle range shredding guitars too.
Petey D

Ankle Burner & World Class Sauce Jockey

Sparrow Big Daddy Ace

Sparrow Ratrod Boss

Johnson JT50 Mirage