So playing hours on end can really hurt your wrist... Cramping, strains, complete inability to hold your hand around the neck. I've been trying to do some stretches and stuff before I play or if my hand starts to hurt I'll stretch out my fretting hand some and hope the pain goes away.

Anyone have any stretches or exercises or anything that allows you to play for longer periods of time without having your wrist feel like it's going to fall off?

The only thing I do, if anyone has similar problems, is stretch my wrist in a vertical line up and down as far as I can.
...is that the primary ingredient is something called "olean" which I have since learned is Latin for "Unwashable & Indestructible Ass Grease."
You Dawg I Herd U Like Addictions So I Put Addictions In Addictions U Can Become An Addict While U Become An Addict
X to tha Z!
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
You can't prove that people DON'T walk on water. turn water into wine etc.
I know how you feel. I just switched to .11's, and they're tearing the **** outta my fingers.

Just take a break every half hour or so. Don't keep playing, or you could hurt yourself in a way that'll keep you from playing ever again. It's not worth it.
(X) Rearrange the whole game with my rugged sound
(X) Won't even say your own name when I come around
(X) Stay on top but remain from the underground
(X) to the Z and we all in the family

To contribute:
What you are describing is typical for someone who plays standing up with the guitar hung low. If that really is the case, just hang it a bit higher and it'll be better.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Jan 12, 2009,
Quote by TheQuailman

It's a shame
Y'all niggaz in the rap game
Only for the money and the fame
Paparazzi
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
You can't prove that people DON'T walk on water. turn water into wine etc.
Quote by TheQuailman

arent his lyrics just complete and total dog wank
_____
MUSE
Quote by protest000
Quote by gillehy
Anyone agree there or am i on my own?
+
Quote by irishstang_87
I know how you feel. I just switched to .11's, and they're tearing the **** outta my fingers.

Just take a break every half hour or so. Don't keep playing, or you could hurt yourself in a way that'll keep you from playing ever again. It's not worth it.

Man, I could play on 11s all day long. Just keep at it and they'll become easy before you know it.
Really the best way to build guitar specific muscles is to play the guitar.
Over a period of time you'll see your endurance build and you'll be able to play faster sections longer without feeling like your hand is about to fall off.

I've never heard of guitar playing related injuries but I'm sure there are some so take a couple breaks every once in a while to give your muscles a break.
Quote by KG6_Steven
Man, I could play on 11s all day long. Just keep at it and they'll become easy before you know it.

Yeah, definitely, I love the tone. Just makes bends close to the nut a bitch.
Quote by gillehy
arent his lyrics just complete and total dog wank

So what?

Quote by GnR_ROK
It's a shame
Y'all niggaz in the rap game
Paparazzi

It’s a shame
Niggas in the rap game
Extra large (extra large)
Quote by Limabean231
Really the best way to build guitar specific muscles is to play the guitar.
Over a period of time you'll see your endurance build and you'll be able to play faster sections longer without feeling like your hand is about to fall off.

I've never heard of guitar playing related injuries but I'm sure there are some so take a couple breaks every once in a while to give your muscles a break.

It's not so much of an issue of endurance, but certain chords (like barred major 7's, and others I can't think of in class) when I play repeatedly my wrist just feels like I've been suffering from arthritus for years, and can't even grip the neck in that way. I've been playing now for about 8 years and I wonder if it's just catching up to me and I'm screwed...but I really hope not. I've been looking for like preventive sretches so I can still be shredding 30 years later.
...is that the primary ingredient is something called "olean" which I have since learned is Latin for "Unwashable & Indestructible Ass Grease."
Quote by TheQuailman
So what?

It’s a shame
Niggas in the rap game
Extra large (extra large)

you an X to the Z fan?
Quote by sock_demon
Stop playing so much.

Not what I'm looking for here...
Ok, hold the phone(bad 90's expression), what you need to do is practice playing with reduced tension. Get a metronome and play what you want to play very slowly and with as little effort as possible. Dont think you can "work through it". Learn to play with ease, just look at Marty Friedman or any of the "shreders" they make it look easy because they practiced it that way.
"played until my fingers bled"

Anyways... You'll probably get used to it.

EDIT: Awesome first reply! HAHA!

And also... TS... Aren't you the guy who wet his bed?
Last edited by slayaplaya at Jan 13, 2009,
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
you an X to the Z fan?

Nah, I just happen to know a lot of mainstream music and enjoy clogging up threads with spam.
Quote by metal4ever6328
Ok, hold the phone(bad 90's expression), what you need to do is practice playing with reduced tension. Get a metronome and play what you want to play very slowly and with as little effort as possible. Dont think you can "work through it". Learn to play with ease, just look at Marty Friedman or any of the "shreders" they make it look easy because they practiced it that way.

Solid... I've never looked at that way, I'm going to try that as soon as I get home. Thanks for the good idea.
If your wrist is hurting it's a good sign that your strap is too low. A comfortable height for me is having the body of the guitar around the groin area. Too high just feels weird, and too low is uncomfortable.
Thank you metal4ever6328, this released tension idea is working wonders. I feel pretty dumb for never really forcing myself to playing with a more relaxed hand, but it's helping tremendously.

Anyone else who has a similar problem, give it a try. And thanks again.