So hi UG, I'm going to buy a bass soon to record bass tracks with it. I already recorded guitar tracks down, but now i need bass tracks, therefore, I'm buying a bass.

So can anyone recommend me a good quality/cheap bass that I can work with. And no, I'm not mic-ing up the bass to the computer because I don't have a bass amp. But I heard that you can record directly with the bass (through an interface of course.)

And I'm not used to this bass forum, so I'll just post whatever I think its important.

Budget: $350-400.
Styles: Anything from hardcore to poppunk.
Gigging: No, but I'm going to be using it to record bass tracks directly.

So give me all your thoughts.

Thanks
Squier VM ir CV series, or a decent Ibanez. I'd REALLY recommend dishing out a little more, though.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
$500, Ibanez ATK300.
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
What I suggested above is alright, but if you actually want a good bass sound, I suggest you get the Ibanez, at least.
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
Quote by anarkee
Check out the FAQ, but an Ibanez or a Squier VM would fit the bill nicely.

which ibanez specifically, links?

and if i were to get the VM, which one would be the best out of these
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Search/Default.aspx?src=vintage+modified+bass&Search.x=0&Search.y=0&Search=Go

and for the ibanez that was recommended earlier, I'm still keeping an eye on that one, its just that i'm looking at cheaper options first
Last edited by DannyRL at Jan 12, 2009,
VM is Vintage Modified.
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
I would say Ibanez would work well.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Squier VM ir CV series, or a decent Ibanez. I'd REALLY recommend dishing out a little more, though.

Why should he spend more? All he needs is a comfortable bass that won't hum/buzz/die whenever he uses it. And for that, the Ibanez GSR200/Squier VM/CV J/P will be perfect.
definitely go used. Check your craigslist and such. if you go fender/squier go for a jazz bass probably because they are more versatile.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
I'd try to find a used Fender.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
yeah, go used
you can get like a 600-700 dollar instrument for $400
-
-
--
---
-----
--------
-------------
Yay fibonacci!
Personally, I'd say get a Yamaha RBX, or a Ibanez ATK. Good cheapish basses, or or or if you're very lucky, a Cort Artisan.
DB Player
Quote by Micehorns
Why should he spend more? All he needs is a comfortable bass that won't hum/buzz/die whenever he uses it. And for that, the Ibanez GSR200/Squier VM/CV J/P will be perfect.

Hahaha I at least want a decent sound, but i don't need to get that "super good/ perfect" sound that everyone wants. I just need something simple/decent that i can record bass tracks with for my songs that I'm composing.

so i came up with these choices. So tell me which one is the best UG, other choices are appreciated if its the same price range (=

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-RBX374-4String-Bass?sku=519038

Yamaha RBX374

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-CLASSIC-VIBE-Precision-60s-Bass-Guitar-?sku=519571

Squier CV Precision-60's.

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Vintage-Modified-70s-Jazz-Bass?sku=519639
Squier VM

So any thoughts UG? Thanks
Ibanez EGD. great bass.

underrated fingerstyle tone.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by DannyRL
Hahaha I at least want a decent sound, but i don't need to get that "super good/ perfect" sound that everyone wants. I just need something simple/decent that i can record bass tracks with for my songs that I'm composing.

That's because you are not a bass player. Believe me--play bass for a few months and you will care deeply about your tone. Much to the annoyance of the rest of your mates in the band.

Back on track...Out of the three you've suggested, I'd take the VM Squier Jazz. Its a good workhorse bass. I would also look at some new or used ATK Ibanez' as well. The CV P bass is Ok, but doesn't light my fire so much. And I've never been fond of the tones of the cheaper Yamaha's myself.
Quote by anarkee
That's because you are not a bass player. Believe me--play bass for a few months and you will care deeply about your tone. Much to the annoyance of the rest of your mates in the band.

But little do they know where thinking about that harsh Guitar distortion, trying to make that sound good is a full-time job.

Specially if they are an 80's metalhead.

heh heh

No-one around here seems to like Monterey much.

they are nowhere near expensive

Alot of the better local bands nowadays are picking them up to Gig with. because they sound close enough to there own high end bass and they don't wanna risk them at some sketchy venues.

try get your hands on a Monterey Ash Jazz and see if you dig it.
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
so if i were to bump up my budget to about $400-500, what else would you guys suggest besides the ones that were suggested earlier.

and for the "jazz" basses, are they versatile, or mainly for jazz. because i play all kinds of rock. anything from pop to like hardcore

thanks
Jazz basses are very versatile basses and fit a variety of genres. Going up to 400 - 500USD does bring you into some rather nice options in the used Fender and MIM Fender market.

With that budget, I really do recommend going down to a shop and trying out everything in your budget range.
but can you give me some choices so i can kind of lean towards something rather than go into the store not knowing anything?

and how would this guitar do.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Standard-Precision-Bass-516041-i1148879.gc

i was just looking around and happened to find that. it's good rated and in my budget. is that any good?

thanks
Last edited by DannyRL at Jan 13, 2009,
from the musical styling that you are playing a precision bass should fit you great, but as always you should play before you buy. As far as the sound you will get out of this, it is punchy and should be a good fit for you.
Quote by DannyRL

keep it as an option, if you have something you played and loved, go for that, this is a good bass to look at definitely.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom