So I've asked before, but now that I think about it, I do not want to spend too much cash, although I can spend it.

I want to replace my bridge pickup (passive). I play metal and I need a pickups with a lot of gain. It's gotta have low mids and lots of treble and bass. People said D-sonic last time, but apparently theyre really middy too.

I was thinking of EMG HZ H4 just because theyre supposedly a passive EMG-81. I've also been recommended the dimebucker. I want active EMG's for the "unnaturalish" distortion but i dont wanna pay for two pickups. Any suggestions? If i can't get a similar ballsy tone from a passive, i guess i gotta buy the EMG's

Thanks..

Edit: mids isn't the big issue btw. i guess i over-stressed it. i just want a v-shaped EQ with high output and compressed type distortion. HZ good for that? or like a 2xn?
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Last edited by apak at Jan 13, 2009,
what the hell?
You have a mesa DC with a boost, but you want your pickups to give you more balls?
Something is messed up here.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by kool98769
what the hell?
You have a mesa DC with a boost, but you want your pickups to give you more balls?
Something is messed up here.

my amp is already middy. even if i scoop it, i get a lot of mids. i want a little you know... compressed less natural-rounded sounding distortion. i was just wondering if an HZ or anything would work like that. and i dont wanna lower my gain. I use my mesa a lot, but i use other amps a lot too. i dont like lugging it around.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Seymour Duncan Blackouts... If you'd like the extra mid
Can we erase the past?
To allow our dreams to forever last?

Gear:

Mesa Boogie Mini Rec 25
Mesa Boogie Rectifier 2x12 cab

Jackson DK2, DK2M, DKMGT, SLAT3-7, DK1
Quote by apak
my amp is already middy. even if i scoop it, i get a lot of mids. i want a little you know... compressed less natural-rounded sounding distortion. i was just wondering if an HZ or anything would work like that. and i dont wanna lower my gain. I use my mesa a lot, but i use other amps a lot too. i dont like lugging it around.

if you have that much mids, changing pickups isn't gonna fix that.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Well changing pickups most likely won't solve your mids issue, you could get an EQ pedal and scoop the mids more if you want less.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
Quote by thsrayas
Well changing pickups most likely won't solve your mids issue, you could get an EQ pedal and scoop the mids more if you want less.

Bingo. Took the words from my finger tips. New pickups aren't gonna affect you that much. EQ pedal like a Fish n Chips, MXR 6/10 band will get what you want (the 10 band will really let you decide what mid-frequency(s) you want gone...)
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."